• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

The wife just bought me an HP8300 for an early Christmas present, and I've scanned about 15 slabs so far. I've only seen glare on a couple of books, and it wasn't bad enough to make me care. I'm just using the stock drivers/software that I downloaded from HP's website.

:shrug:

It's the GA and magazine-size holders that seem to be the ones where the glare is a significant problem. Like you, I haven't had much trouble with glare when scanning regular slabs.

Seriously, put a weight on the top of the lid (not too heavy, of course. You don't want to do any damage). I use a medium sized plant-pot.

That takes out any slight curvature that the slab may have by bringing it closer to the glass, and eliminating any stray light. Trust me, it works.

I did that already and had no positive results, nothing changed. The glare is not from the outer plastic case but from the more flexible plastic sleeve that's inside, any kind of pressure won't eliminate the bends of that inner sleeve.

I actually cover the top of the scanner with a big black blanket and then put a paperweight on top and that usually eliminates most of the glare problem.

The wife just bought me an HP8300 for an early Christmas present, and I've scanned about 15 slabs so far. I've only seen glare on a couple of books, and it wasn't bad enough to make me care. I'm just using the stock drivers/software that I downloaded from HP's website.

It's the GA and magazine-size holders that seem to be the ones where the glare is a significant problem. Like you, I haven't had much trouble with glare when scanning regular slabs.

Good to know. I only have 2 GA books slabbed, so I don't anticipate having much of a problem. I'm going to the 8300 from a regular 8.5x11 scanner, where the slab scans varied from fairly cloudy to incredibly cloudy, so really it doesn't take much to impress me!

The glare us usually dependent on the depth of the slab. Even the small, regular size comic outer holder can still be used with a variety of inner holders changing the angle of the light.

Sometimes flipping the book upside down in the scanner helps, sometimes changing the background helps and sometimes a slight amount of pressure helps. Sometimes nothing helps.

Hi, I am looking to buy a combo scanner and printer and was wondering if anyone has had any positive feedback scanning CGC'ed books on this one they could share. Thanks, Danny

From what I was told and was also recommended by a professional artist who uses it for not only producing prints, but also for scanning artwork to submit to publishers this is a great combo SCANNER and PRINTER (and it's a copier and fax too!) that's priced under $200 ($189 @ Amazon) with a large surface bed area that can accommodate original art sizes of 11" x 17" (so no need to stitch images).

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless Color All-in-One Inkjet Printer with Scanner and Copier

Bring wide-format printing and increased productivity to your small office with the WorkForce WF-7610. Powered by Epson's new PrecisionCore printing technology, the WF-7610 delivers Performance Beyond Laser. Get fast, print-shop-quality borderless prints up to 13 x 19-inches and laser-sharp black and color text. Plus, save on ink; get up to 40 percent lower printing cost vs. color laser. This wireless printer easily prints from tablets and smartphones. Additional features include wide-format scanning up to 11 x 17-inches and auto 2-sided print/copy/scan/fax with a 35-page, 2-sided Automatic Document Feeder. A 4.3-inches color touchscreen and 250-sheet paper capacity plus rear tray offer enhanced productivity.

Wide-format 4-in-1 with Wi-Fi & Ethernet: Print/Copy/Scan/Fax.