• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legal Size Scanner thread.
48 48

1,632 posts in this topic

Updated to Sierra for Mac OS and now my HP8250 no longer works

Was thinking of getting an new one anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve the sierras issue or any updates on scanners that work with sierra ?

VueScan should take care of the problems ... although I see now that I'm still using El Capitan, so maybe not. But the VueScan guy seems to be on top of updating the software, so I would guess he will do so soon to make it compatible with Sierra if he hasn't already.

Was thinking of getting an new one anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve the sierras issue or any updates on scanners that work with sierra ?

VueScan should take care of the problems ... although I see now that I'm still using El Capitan, so maybe not. But the VueScan guy seems to be on top of updating the software, so I would guess he will do so soon to make it compatible with Sierra if he hasn't already.

VueScan worked fine for me with Sierra. And no problems with El Capitan either. It's kind of amazing how often VueScan is updated. It seems like it's at least once a month.

It is worth the $100?

Because this is beyond frustrating...

I need to scan comic book stuff, work stuff and mortgage stuff.

HP seems to be absolutely no help. Turns out to be another company that depends on crowdsourced tech support instead of using real solutions.

It is worth the $100?

HP seems to be absolutely no help. Turns out to be another company that depends on crowdsourced tech support instead of using real solutions.

Well spend the $100 bucks or buy a new scanner. That's what it boils down to.

It is worth the $100?

Well spend the $100 bucks or buy a new scanner. That's what it boils down to.

Well not really...

The scanner physically works.... I did a test run using the watermarked version. Buying a new scanner would just add up to a new machine that also works but that cannot work with Mac Sierra (and I do not know how to undo Mac Sierra)

It is worth the $100?

VueScan is absolutely worth the $89.95. I've been using it for years and never had any problems, even with all the Mac OS updates over the years.

Before I bought it, I used Microtek's software which they rarely updated and eventually stopped supporting entirely.

The scanner physically works.... I did a test run using the watermarked version. Buying a new scanner would just add up to a new machine that also works but that cannot work with Mac Sierra (and I do not know how to undo Mac Sierra)

VueScan definitely works with Sierra. And El Capitan.

I trust the members of this forum. I spent the money and bought vuescan. I have access to my scanner but have to learn how to get the most out of vuescan to maximize my scanning.

If anyone has any suggestions I am all years.

I trust the members of this forum. I spent the money and bought vuescan. I have access to my scanner but have to learn how to get the most out of vuescan to maximize my scanning.

A couple of boardies have posted suggested scanner settings for VueScan. One was by Kaptain Kollector in this thread ... maybe in October of last year. Another boardie posted his settings in his sales thread. Can't quite recall when that was. I've used both and they seem to work well.

GA books in the new slabs have been scanning dark for me, though, so maybe I should tweak the settings. hm

Just to clarify...any scanner using CIS technology is no good for scanning slabbed books, correct?

Also, does anyone have a list of current scanners or all-in-ones that use CCD and can fit the CGC books? I just contacted Epson and I was told that none of their current CCD models can fit anything bigger than 8.5x11...except for a graphic arts scanner that is well over $2000.

1) Correct

2) See below for older models that can scan CGC slabs (CCD format).

Here is a list(Thanks Sharon!) from this thread of scanners that people have confirmed as compatible for slabs using the CCD format, many suggest using Vuescan for best editing tool.

Epson GT-2000

HP 7310

HP 7400 (7710 is the actual number for a search)

HP 7410 All-in-one.

HP 7780 AIO

HP Scanjet 8200

HP 8250

HP 8300

HP 8350

HP 8390 (according to HP specs)

Microtek Scanmaker i800 plus

Microtek V6UPL

Microteks 9600-9700-9800

Most new off the shelf units are CIS format, will be blurry(see HP 8600 example above). Editing will not eliminate the blurriness.

New scanners that work (CCD) samples posted in this thread

EPSON DS-50000 new $1300+

EPSON GT-15000 pre-owned $300-1000

Scanning software issues for Mac

Vuescan settings suggestions

Is there any way to improve the quality of scans on the HP 8200 or did I just flush $170 down the pisser? :(

use vuescan = start with KKs settings

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8942320#Post8942320

..Have you tried Vuescan? I have not upgraded yet.

These are the settings I've been using:

4R82wj.jpg

And samples:

30094357160_6b32f3326f_b.jpg

29862078965_cae636da1c_b.jpg

I did buy Vuescan and I scanned those five Han Solo comics just to get them done.

I've been mostly scanning documents though this past evening and am about to go to bed.

Thanks to you guys and I will play around with a few comics this week. I may now also need a new scanner though as the first time I open Vue Scan it works well with the machine but it is launching the scanner part under the glass into the wall.

Then I unplug it... and then it works well for the remainder of the session until it goes dormant again.

Right now as long as I can scan my documents I am happy as that is the most important.

These are the settings I've been using:

4R82wj.jpg

Thank you. This is very much appreciated.

I also saw a decent deal on eBay and wound up picking up a HP8300. It is amazing how much quicker even one generation machine scans.

Anyone else using the HP8300 and getting this light reflection on the bottom?

Any idea how to get rid of that? I loved my Microtek i800 but so far this HP, while much faster, is doing a crappy job with slabs.

moon%20knight24_cgc96_64017_zpsrsnfpzyr.jpg

It's a common problem. If you go back through this thread, you'll see several suggestions for mitigating it. None is entirely effective, in my experience.