• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Classic covers" that don't really do anything for you! I'll start...

144 posts in this topic

I always have felt that the way the ruffles of her dress were drawn , made me think of them as FLAMES.

shocksuspenstories6.jpg

The understated tone of what is about to happen to this beautiful woman, makes you kind of cringe.

The Phantom Lady 17 is the crown jewel of the GGA covers for me. I mean, hubba hubba , check out those enormous headlights....WOW !!!

Suspense 3 and Startling 49....totally friggin' awesome covers. Overpriced (for me, absolutely yes)...but just iconic layout and color and design.

I especially appreciate the lack of any DIALOGUE BOXES or COVER BLURBS on those covers...

....just like the clean image of the World's First SUPER-HERO on the cover of Action Comics # 1....

I want to see a lot more surrealism in comic covers. Not a bunch of superheros standing around with their arms folded trying to look cool like a bouncer at a strip club.
I Think I found my new sig line. :cool:

more surrealism in covers? like this I can take it...

3183182181_2e3f03ed75_o.jpg

but that hulk cover is SO bad it makes me want to gouge my eyes out & get so drunk I never remember I saw it. :foryou:

(thumbs u I like that. But you see it doesn't have to be anything like that all the time. Something more clever would still do the trick, Like a FF #16 or Wonder Woman #83 would be awesome. Comics used to compete with each other on the rack,this way someone will look at it and say "I want that!!" They don't do that anymore. It's always a group shot or a fight scene zzz

FF#16 is my hands down favorite Kirby cover, so I agree completely there! New covers are so bland, I was calling it the "Bradstreet" effect because it seemed to really start with him, but I thought it would have gone away by now.

....and the inside did NOT disappoint :cloud9::cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: definitely gets the 5 cloud rating. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ff16.jpg

Also, in regards to comics we've seen a million times....like Action # 1....say, for some reason....Action 1 (and any number of other comics) were SO RARE (even rarer than now)...that...well.....

Let me put it this way....if there were no know copies of Action comics # 1, just house ads in other comics, and someone found a copy, the image of that cover would make everyone their pants.

Action 1 classic ?? in the truest sense of the word ?? ......fuggedaboutit :applause:

I try not to become JADED by visual overexposure to cool things , but it happens...

what's the big deal with this spidey cover? It's not a bad looking cover, but I don't understand why some people love this cover so much (shrug)

16ASM33.jpg

This is" THE BEST" Spidey arc of all time,sorry but this book deserves the respect it gets :cloud9:

The FF16 is a very golden age style cover, with the giant looming menace holding tiny heroes in his grip. Just perfect. The simple background cover sets it all off wonderfully. I read it in the Essentials, but don't remember what happened... :sorry:

The splash would have made a decent cover too.....a giant Dr. Doom looking down from atop a giant microscope with the FF scurrying around the base....the scene with Sue serving gruel to the lizard men, the FF escaping from the dungeon beneath a sea of acid....they don't make em like that anymore. Princess Pearla :cloud9: Johnny shrinking unexpectedly while working on his hot rod and almost getting sucked into the whirling fan :cloud9: Kirby had such an imagination for storytelling. Byrne did give him a run for his money, though. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

what's the big deal with this spidey cover? It's not a bad looking cover, but I don't understand why some people love this cover so much (shrug)

16ASM33.jpg

This is" THE BEST" Spidey arc of all time,sorry but this book deserves the respect it gets :cloud9:

I wasn't referring to the story line, I was just talking about the cover image, which seems to be the topic of this thread.

The cover is OK, but to me, it's not that special a cover, but I know a lot of people really love the cover

I agree with the Steranko Hulk cover as always being one that underwhelmed me. The logo being crushed is nice,as are the colors, but it's kind ugly otherwise.

comic_book_guy-707876.png Dumbest statement ever !!

ok, maybe not, but I do have this as a tattoo....so I am extremely biased....

16ASM33.jpg

I agree that this cover doesn't do much for me, although it's certainly a great story.

Here's what's wrong with Batman 227: it's made up of two derivative elements, the Detective 31 "homage"* and the generic woman-and-gothic castle - so right off you have an unoriginal cover. There's no real visual interaction between them, they're just slapped up against each other. The overall effect is one of pretentiousness.

(*Homage = fundamentally tedious.)

16ASM33.jpg

I wasn't referring to the story line, I was just talking about the cover image, which seems to be the topic of this thread.

The cover is OK, but to me, it's not that special a cover, but I know a lot of people really love the cover

I think the cover is so admired because it so well evokes the truly classic sequence in the issue. Covers don't always reflect what actually happens inside the book; this one is "truth in advertising". Out of context, the image on the cover may not be that spectacular, it's true.

What makes the cover to ASM #33 so great is that Ditko manages to convey the sense of defeat, helplessness and doom simply through Spidey's posture and the water pouring down on his head.

No facial expression is needed. The bars of water in the foreground add to the sense the Spidey is trapped, and of course the muted colors pull the viewers eye straight to the reds in his costume, and his physical posture.

If this scenario had been drawn for a DC comic at the time, it would be cluttered with word balloons explaining exactly what the dilemma was, and the water would likely be shown gushing in to sell the idea of imminent doom if the hero doesn't quickly escape.

There are maybe a half dozen Spidey covers from the Silver Age that could be argued as being classic, and ASM #33 is certainly one of them.

What makes the cover to ASM #33 so great is that Ditko manages to convey the sense of defeat, helplessness and doom simply through Spidey's posture and the water pouring down on his head.

No facial expression is needed. The bars of water in the foreground add to the sense the Spidey is trapped, and of course the muted colors pull the viewers eye straight to the reds in his costume, and his physical posture.

If this scenario had been drawn for a DC comic at the time, it would be cluttered with word balloons explaining exactly what the dilemma was, and the water would likely be shown gushing in to sell the idea of imminent doom if the hero doesn't quickly escape.

There are maybe a half dozen Spidey covers from the Silver Age that could be argued as being classic, and ASM #33 is certainly one of them.

Very accurate analysis I would say (thumbs u

I agree with the Steranko Hulk cover as always being one that underwhelmed me. The logo being crushed is nice,as are the colors, but it's kind ugly otherwise.

Couldn't disagree more, this is one of my all-time favorite covers!

ASM 50...way overrated, although the coloring is nice which is what I suspect puts it in the win column for so many people.

So many silver Marvel firsts are just awful: FF1, Spidey 1, JiM 83, ToS39...kind of on the fence about Avengers 1, a little too Christmassy in palette.

So many silver Marvel firsts are just awful: FF1, Spidey 1, JiM 83, ToS39...kind of on the fence about Avengers 1, a little too Christmassy in palette.

I would generally agree - though JIM #83 is pretty decent - not "classic", but at least average.

Also, while the cover to FF #1 isn't even a strong example - I do like the pre-hero monster comic look of the cover.

16ASM33.jpg

I agree that this cover doesn't do much for me, although it's certainly a great story.

[font:Arial Black] blasphemy [/font] :sumo:

Couldn't disagree more, this is one of my all-time favorite covers!

ASM 50...way overrated, although the coloring is nice which is what I suspect puts it in the win column for so many people.

Always hated the cover to Amazing Spider-man 1, even as a kid. Probably less a classic cover than it is a key.

amazeyspidey1.jpg