• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dead Universe Project

11 posts in this topic

So I'm shamelessly stealing an idea from my home-in-exile, Valiantfans, and starting a Dead Universe project here.

What is a Dead Universe? A Dead Universe is generally a comic publisher, like Eclipse, Valiant, Ultraverse, that generally published superhero titles that interacted in some sort of "shared universe", whether loosely or tightly constructed, but which has since gone by the wayside, thereby creating a finite collecting pursuit for anyone desiring to collect everything a particular company published. Of course, even companies which didn't publish "universes", or much in the way of superheroes, can still be included (a la Pacific.)

Some of the DUs, like Valiant, Eclipse, and First, published hundreds of books.

Some of them, like Broadway, published as few as 40 individual books before folding.

Of course, there have been dead universes since the Golden Age, but the concept really took off in the 1980's, when printing and other expenses became manageable for small "start up" companies, like Silverwolf, Aircel, and Pacific, which enabled them to publish. The vast majority of DUs will be found between 1980 and 1995, making their entry in this forum perfect.

It will also give the chance to discuss these companies and their publications in depth, including the stories themselves, as well as behind the scenes looks at how each company started and ultimately ended.

I'm currently working on a list of Pacific, Eclipse, Eternity, and Silverwolf.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Should I post what I have so far?

Not to spoil your fun, but hasn't the Grand Comic Book Database Project already done this? For example

Pacific Comics Output