• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seems like a buyers market on eBay, is it any different on specialty sites?

44 posts in this topic

I do 99% of my comic buying and selling on eBay, mostly slabbed mid to high grade Marvel and DC semi-keys. I've noticed over the past couple of months that prices seemed to have nose-dived and I think I've set GPA lows or near lows for most of my recent sales. :cry:

On the flip side I'm finding some great bargains, but am wondering if I should keep buying on eBay but look to other sites to sell if the grass is greener. Are realized prices any better (for sellers) on specialty sites such as ComicLink, ComicConnect, etc...? I'm not talking about major keys or super high-grade early Silver, but mostly common but higher demand issues from late Silver to Bronze era....books in the $100 to $1,000 range.

i think it's a good time to list on eBay, i had this in the FS section for $100, while this copy sold on eBay for $164.

DD 131 CGC 9.2

I have seen some great books at unbelievable prices on eBay and on these boards, especially this past week, but haven't bought (a whole lot) because I'm trying to stick to a comic book buying budget for the New Year...

lol

No, wait...

:cry:

It is a buyer's market and I'm finding it hard to resist going on a spending-spree. When trying to justify a comic book purchase to my wife, I sometimes tell her, look, if you see a $100 bill listed at $40, isn't it a no-brainer? But as more money goes out and more comics come in, she doesn't seem to buy that one anymore.

It is driving me crazy seeing other capitalize on great buys after I had a look at it first.

Raw books don't seem to be as cheap as they were last year to me. Last year I bought the entire run of deadworld Vol. 1 and 2 along with all the Deadworld Chronicles and minis and anthology books with Deadworld stories for an average of about 20 cents per book. I also had multiple copies of Deadworld Vol. 1 and the Roadkill book. I gave away most as gifts and sold a couple here. It also included Caliber Presents #2 which I believe would have cost me a lot of money if I had bought it on its own.

I did just miss a huge Cerebus lot for pretty cheap though. Maybe I'm not looking as hard as I used to.

i think it's a good time to list on eBay, i had this in the FS section for $100, while this copy sold on eBay for $164.

DD 131 CGC 9.2

I think the real answer is "It depends." If you are a seasoned seller and take certain things into consideration, it seems to work in your favor.

1) Don't list just a few books; make sure to sell a grouping of books so you attract many buyers with varying genre demands. Then they want to take advantage of combined shipping, and will bid on items they would have disregarded otherwise.

2) Make sure your listings are up long enough to attract a large pool of buyers; 3 and 5-day sales are just too short.

3) Don't overcharge on shipping, or else you may as well not even list books.

4) Include some form of refund policy or buyers will assume you are too great a risk.

5) Post a clear statement you securely box everything versus the knuckleheads that send gorgeous books (slabbed or raw) in cheap envelopes.

That's just been my experience, but there are times when things go cheap due to influences outside the control of the seller.

(shrug)

I do 99% of my comic buying and selling on eBay, mostly slabbed mid to high grade Marvel and DC semi-keys. I've noticed over the past couple of months that prices seemed to have nose-dived and I think I've set GPA lows or near lows for most of my recent sales. :cry:

On the flip side I'm finding some great bargains, but am wondering if I should keep buying on eBay but look to other sites to sell if the grass is greener. Are realized prices any better (for sellers) on specialty sites such as ComicLink, ComicConnect, etc...? I'm not talking about major keys or super high-grade early Silver, but mostly common but higher demand issues from late Silver to Bronze era....books in the $100 to $1,000 range.

Welcome to the Boards!!

This seemed like a pretty good deal. My 2008 OSPG lists Adventure 381, 'Supergirl Begins' at $180 - got it in a CGC case for roughly half that. There is no doubt that this run of Adventures has not been commanding guide in the past year, but I was a bit surprised to see the 'semi-key' issue of the Supergirl run go for half OSPG.

Personally, I love the buyer's market :banana:

Adventure 381

This seemed like a pretty good deal. My 2008 OSPG lists Adventure 381, 'Supergirl Begins' at $180 - got it in a CGC case for roughly half that. There is no doubt that this run of Adventures has not been commanding guide in the past year, but I was a bit surprised to see the 'semi-key' issue of the Supergirl run go for half OSPG.

Adventure 381

Very nice pick up.

Recently I bought a Superman Platinum #75 for what I thought was a really good price, as well as a Spiderman #1 Platinum issue for the cheapest I have seen.

Adventure 381

But it's not just eBay that this is happening.

I collect Adventure Comics 428 (1st Black Orchid) and Heritage has sold a number of 9.4 and 9.6 copies over the past year.

9.4s have gone from a high of $84-$90 down to $50 in just the past year. And now that a 9.8 has finally shown up in the census just this past month, who know what impact this will have on 9.6s since these were considered the highest grades achieved for a number of years.

Adventure 381

doh!

It has nothing to do with the "buyer's" market or the "seller's" market. That has to do with reality. Adventure 381 has NEVER been a "full Guide" book.

It may be a buyer's market for slabbed and key raw books, but if you're looking for random stuff from any age, good luck. For books I bought for 99 cents or $3 8-9 years ago, I now have to pay $10-$15 now. For books that were $10 then, $30-$40 is not uncommon now.

It adds up really fast.

And forget trying to buy super low grade books, either. Restorers bid incredibly aggressively on those, so that they can make franken books that then sell for even more.

Coverless books? Good luck on that. Where you used to be able to buy these for $1-$5 for books that Guided for $100+ in Good, now...forget it. You're paying $30-$50 for them.

And books that have at least part of a cover? These frequently sell for 100% of "Fair" prices.

Modern variants? Yeah, ok. Not possible. There are books that I have patiently waited for many, many years to come down in price...and they don't, have not, and show no signs of doing so.

Nothing seems to be immune...except, of course, the aforementioned slabs and raw keys (which still sell for substantially more to begin with.)

This post is not a complaint...it's actually a very good sign. Sure, I wish I had $10 million to spend in 2000....but I didn't, and those days haven't come around again, even with the recession. That shows health in the market. Yay.

Adventure 381

Very nice pick up.

Recently I bought a Superman Platinum #75 for what I thought was a really good price, as well as a Spiderman #1 Platinum issue for the cheapest I have seen.

Good examples as addendum to my post.

Back in 1999, I bought 3-4 Superman 75 Plats for $10-$15 on eBay. Sold them for about $25-$35 in 2001-2002.

Spidey #1 Plats were $20 books in 1999.

Spiderman #300 Chromium and #1 Chromium (Marvel Collectible Classics) I bought for $10 in 1999, and sold for $25 in 2000. Sigh. They were, of course, all 9.8s, and I'm sure the buyer slabbed them gleefully.

Onslaught Golds were $25...now? They've come down from the insanity they were 2-3 years ago, but they're still $40-$70 books.