• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seems like a buyers market on eBay, is it any different on specialty sites?

44 posts in this topic

This seemed like a pretty good deal. My 2008 OSPG lists Adventure 381, 'Supergirl Begins' at $180 - got it in a CGC case for roughly half that. There is no doubt that this run of Adventures has not been commanding guide in the past year, but I was a bit surprised to see the 'semi-key' issue of the Supergirl run go for half OSPG.

Personally, I love the buyer's market :banana:

Adventure 381

doh!

It has nothing to do with the "buyer's" market or the "seller's" market. That has to do with reality. Adventure 381 has NEVER been a "full Guide" book.

:whee: Your condescending posts never get me down!

This seemed like a pretty good deal. My 2008 OSPG lists Adventure 381, 'Supergirl Begins' at $180 - got it in a CGC case for roughly half that. There is no doubt that this run of Adventures has not been commanding guide in the past year, but I was a bit surprised to see the 'semi-key' issue of the Supergirl run go for half OSPG.

Personally, I love the buyer's market :banana:

Adventure 381

doh!

It has nothing to do with the "buyer's" market or the "seller's" market. That has to do with reality. Adventure 381 has NEVER been a "full Guide" book.

:whee: Your condescending posts never get me down!

^^

Perfect example:

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/azathothyeoldone/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m283&_rdc=1

Now, it LOOKS like the guy undergrades....but pics, as ever, are deceiving. In the grades the seller gave, some of these books sold for full Guide...unheard of in the past for mid-grade, mid-run X, FF, and IM books.

A large chunk of them sold for more than half Guide. Even in 2003-2005, these books would have been lucky to pull in 1/3 Guide.

So....things are definitely more aggressive in the marketplace these days for RAW books.

This thread (and topic) has been percolating in the back of my mind since yesterday.

I really, truly miss the days when you could get mid-grade Gold, Silver, and Bronze for 1/4 guide on eBay. It's how I built my collection.

Drat.

Huh? I don't know about Gold, but unless it's a key issue, mid-grade Silver and Bronze books sell for 1/4 guide and often much less on eBay and have for a couple years now... :sumo:

This thread (and topic) has been percolating in the back of my mind since yesterday.

I really, truly miss the days when you could get mid-grade Gold, Silver, and Bronze for 1/4 guide on eBay. It's how I built my collection.

Drat.

Huh? I don't know about Gold, but unless it's a key issue, mid-grade Silver and Bronze books sell for 1/4 guide and often much less on eBay and have for a couple years now... :sumo:

+1

Drat.

Did you check out the examples I posted above...?

Please feel free to provide examples that illustrate your statement.

Of course you can always find exceptions, but no I'm not going to go throught the trouble of posting links to the gazillion auctions I see that end for pennies on the guide dollar.

I've spent an enormous amount of time over the past few years buying and selling on eBay and can promise you that the overwhelming majority of auction results are dirt-cheap for common mid-grade bronze and silver.

I do 99% of my comic buying and selling on eBay, mostly slabbed mid to high grade Marvel and DC semi-keys. I've noticed over the past couple of months that prices seemed to have nose-dived and I think I've set GPA lows or near lows for most of my recent sales. :cry:

On the flip side I'm finding some great bargains, but am wondering if I should keep buying on eBay but look to other sites to sell if the grass is greener. Are realized prices any better (for sellers) on specialty sites such as ComicLink, ComicConnect, etc...? I'm not talking about major keys or super high-grade early Silver, but mostly common but higher demand issues from late Silver to Bronze era....books in the $100 to $1,000 range.

Welcome to the Boards!!

:acclaim: I know, I know...wife won't let me near the computer anymore! (shrug)

Of course you can always find exceptions, but no I'm not going to go throught the trouble of posting links to the gazillion auctions I see that end for pennies on the guide dollar.

I've spent an enormous amount of time over the past few years buying and selling on eBay and can promise you that the overwhelming majority of auction results are dirt-cheap for common mid-grade bronze and silver.

Sooooo.....you're not willing to provide ANYTHING to support your statement...? Not even one lousy example...? Doesn't sound like you're very confident in your position....

Oh, and if it's DC or Marvel silver and bronze, it's all common, grade aside.

This may of course surprise you, but I, too, have spent an enormous amount of time over the past decade+ buying and selling on eBay, and can promise *you*, it's not like it was in 1999-2001. It's not even like it was in 2005.

"dirt-cheap" and "pennies on the dollar" are meaningless cliches, as they are qualitative, not quantitative, terms, and thus subject to individual interpretation. Please, show me a good sampling of auctions that have ended for 1/4 Guide or "much less."

(thumbs u

PS. as an aside, I've always loved that nebulous phrase, "pennies on the dollar"...99 pennies on the dollar is still "pennies on the dollar".... ;)

Sooooo.....you're not willing to provide ANYTHING to support your statement...? Not even one lousy example...? Doesn't sound like you're very confident in your position....

This may of course surprise you, but I, too, have spent an enormous amount of time over the past decade+ buying and selling on eBay, and can promise *you*, it's not like it was in 1999-2001. It's not even like it was in 2005.

"dirt-cheap" and "pennies on the dollar" are meaningless cliches, as they are qualitative, not quantitative, terms, and thus subject to individual interpretation. Please, show me a good sampling of auctions that have ended for 1/4 Guide or "much less."

(thumbs u

PS. as an aside, I've always loved that nebulous phrase, "pennies on the dollar"...99 pennies on the dollar is still "pennies on the dollar".... ;)

1/4 of Guide is too low, but I average about 1/2 Guide across the board on mid-grade Silver. My argument has always been that Guide is too high, not that the sales are too low.

1/4 of Guide is too low, but I average about 1/2 Guide across the board on mid-grade Silver. My argument has always been that Guide is too high, not that the sales are too low.

That's been my contention for 15 years, too.

But you have to have something to measure against. These days, books are selling for a much higher percentage of Guide than they did 8-9 years ago.

(thumbs u

Agreed.

Once Dealers and Sellers finally understand that OSPS is now just a Guide and NOT a price guide we will all be better off. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Agreed.

Once Dealers and Sellers finally understand that OSPS is now just a Guide and NOT a price guide we will all be better off. (thumbs u

For the books you're discussing (i.e. ones that are generally not worth slabbing), ebay is the guide and has been for some years.

What I think goes on is this.

Ebay seller is afraid of getting a negative, so he/she undergrades. example comics that seller knows is vf, seller will say its fine, buyers who have been burned by terrible grading always pay for a grade lower then what sellers say. so if seller says book is fine, buyer then says well seller means vg. So when you add all this up seller sells comic that is vf for vg prices. the key then is to find the valuable ones worth slabbing(exhausting task), buy off ebay then sell on comiclink/other sites slabbed at a higher price.