• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 168: Why So Scarce?

67 posts in this topic

Funny, I've had 2, #190's, when I tried to sell my double, no one wanted it...it took a long time.

Not the prettiest cover I guess...but I've never had a #168

unless you are filling in a run, there is very little (to almost no ) demand for later tec issues 150-225 (exceptions are 168, 187, 225)... that is part of the "scarcity" factor... they are scarcely sold/available because they are scarcely in demand lol

Funny, I've had 2, #190's, when I tried to sell my double, no one wanted it...it took a long time.

unless you are filling in a run, there is very little (to almost no ) demand for later tec issues 150-225 (exceptions are 168, 187, 225)... that is part of the "scarcity" factor... they are scarcely sold/available because they are scarcely in demand lol

For quite a while, I was trying to fill in those runs on Ebay...so I was looking for lower grade, complete books...at less than guide. I gave up, lol...

Not sure I was the only one;)

For quite a while, I was trying to fill in those runs on Ebay...so I was looking for lower grade, complete books...at less than guide. I gave up, lol...

it took me 2 months to fill in the 150-225 run... 90% of the copies were lower grade (gd or better)... only a couple/few were fn or better... they are scarce...

I've been collecting these for 30 years and still need quite a few to complete the run to 250 :whistle:

wish I had of known before I sold my run, I could have filled in any hole for you... :sorry:

I would agree on demand..........but disagree on supply

if you are not picky on condition, plenty of supply relative to demand... there was a thread not too long ago where someone said action 101-200 was harder to put together than 1-100 and would take years... I found 99 of the 100 issues for sale (between 101 and 200) in 10 minutes... and found the 100th, the next day... again, it is "easier" if you are just looking for "any" copy... tougher if you want anything above vg or so

I've been collecting these for 30 years and still need quite a few to complete the run to 250 :whistle:

wish I had of known before I sold my run, I could have filled in any hole for you... :sorry:

Wish you had too :hi:

I've looked and bid on quite a few on ebay for 12 years but usually get outbid (I'm a cheap arse lol )

Bought most at shows or in collections

I've looked and bid on quite a few on ebay for 12 years but usually get outbid (I'm a cheap arse lol )

Bought most at shows or in collections

(thumbs u

if you are not picky on condition, plenty of supply relative to demand... there was a thread not too long ago where someone said action 101-200 was harder to put together than 1-100 and would take years... I found 99 of the 100 issues for sale (between 101 and 200) in 10 minutes... and found the 100th, the next day... again, it is "easier" if you are just looking for "any" copy... tougher if you want anything above vg or so

Still think they're tough (shrug)

In the internet age suppose anything is relatively easy to find

I had a much harder time from 1979-1995

These books in high grade do quite well, unless it is a particularly lame cover.

Still think they're tough (shrug)

In the internet age suppose anything is relatively easy to find

I had a much harder time from 1979-1995

when I figure put my SA collection together in 1988-1990, it was all via CBG ads and shows... so, I know what you mean!

the internet has made supply much easier to find

These books in high grade do quite well, unless it is a particularly lame cover.
even lame cover'd high grade sell well, due to the scarcity of them...I was, of course, refering to the "common" gd copies that rarely if ever seem to sell (thumbs u

it took me 2 months to fill in the 150-225 run... 90% of the copies were lower grade (gd or better)... only a couple/few were fn or better... they are scarce...

Uhhh...Rick, dear...when you go after comics, you are not exactly AVERAGE, lol;)

If we could hold run filling races, you'd be the odds on favorite.

Uhhh...Rick, dear...when you go after comics, you are not exactly AVERAGE, lol;)

If we could hold run filling races, you'd be the odds on favorite.

I think parker is picking up steam, I would put him at 5/2 odds...I am taking my time, these days (fund restricted, but taking time none the less ) lol

I could have filled in any hole for you... :sorry:

wow, don't let the 'out of context' thread get hold of this exchange

a>

Here is my copy of Dectective Comics 190. I bought it in 1993 at a local show here in Los Angeles and I submitted it to CGC last summer at the SDCC. Actually, I was expecting a lower grade, perhaps a 5.5, maybe a 6.0 so I was obviously pleased with their grading on this particular book. It is the second highest in the census.