• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Store Stamps vs Date Stamps

21 posts in this topic

Most of us have seen older books with store stamps on them - not an arrival date stamp but a stamp with the store name and often address. I see these a fair bit on older books.

Does anyone know how common it was for a real Store Stamp to actually be stamped on a newly arrived batch of comics by either a newsstand or, later on, a comic book store? I know in the old days the newsstand was the primary place to get comic books, since comic book stores were not yet around and that bookstores were a common place to get back issues. I do not recall having seen any newsstand store stamps but used bookstore stamps are relatively common.

I am also curious if you lump store stamps and arrival date stamps together? I am in the "likes date stamps" camp. But in general am not a fan of the used bookstore stamp.

Unless it is a famous old bookstore where the collectors from the old days would congregrate and get tons of ECs and Nedors and Centaurs Timelys and the like. There is one bookstore like this I am thinking about but danged if I can remember the name.

You're probably thinking about Bonnett's out of Dayton, OH.

I don't mind Date Stamps at all and like some store stamps but if on the back cover or on the inside of the books. I like to be able to "trace" the journey of books I owned.

In a similar vein, I don't mind subscription labels either as I then know which kid got the book first. I find those mostly on Dells and Harveys.

Second hand store stamps that are not uncommon - Bonnett's, Jordan's

Store stamps that were placed on the books at the time of production - Cookie's Place (Salida), EJ Kery (Bethlehem)

Those are the few that come to mind.

Store stamps tend to be huge (Bonnets especially) - if they were as small as date stamps they wouldn't be any worse than a small name written on the book. With all markings it pretty much comes down to size and placement more than typwe for me. A back cover store stamp is far preferable to a big grease pencil arrival date written across someone's face.

I'm not a fan of store stamps. I have an Avengers 25 that is near perfect except it has 14 stamps on the back cover- Grand Books, address, and we buy and sell comics.

:o :o :o

OK, who left the back door open? :sumo:

WTTB! :foryou:

On the back? Would that make it a tramp stamp?

I really believe that store stamps and date stamps (or arrival date wriiten in pen) should be considered as a defect. What's the difference between the original owner writing in pen his name on the cover and the shop owner writing in pen the arrival date on the cover ? For me, there is no difference, it is ink added to the comic and therefore a defect since it does alter the original condition of the book.

I had that discussion with my dad whom is a stamp collector a few years ago and I think he's right: stamps with obliteration are hammered in the price, it should be the same for comics I think.

If date stamps are one day ever considered to increase the value or the attractiveness of a comic, I'll bet you anything that we would soon see a phenomenal and sudden increase in the number of date stamps on comics....

One could easily add a dates stamp on a comic and pretend it is original. He cannot however remove a date stamp....

I really believe that store stamps and date stamps (or arrival date wriiten in pen) should be considered as a defect. What's the difference between the original owner writing in pen his name on the cover and the shop owner writing in pen the arrival date on the cover ? For me, there is no difference, it is ink added to the comic and therefore a defect since it does alter the original condition of the book.

I had that discussion with my dad whom is a stamp collector a few years ago and I think he's right: stamps with obliteration are hammered in the price, it should be the same for comics I think.

If date stamps are one day ever considered to increase the value or the attractiveness of a comic, I'll bet you anything that we would soon see a phenomenal and sudden increase in the number of date stamps on comics....

One could easily add a dates stamp on a comic and pretend it is original. He cannot however remove a date stamp....

I think the stamp anaolgy doesn't quite fit. The obliteration occurs in the retail aftermarket. People buy the stamps, lick them, paste them on an envelope and the PO postmarks them. In the case of arrival date stamps, they are part of the retail process before the books reach the consumer. I would equate a stamp going through that process more to someone clipping out an MVS or a coupon.

I think the stamp anaolgy doesn't quite fit. The obliteration occurs in the retail aftermarket. People buy the stamps, lick them, paste them on an envelope and the PO postmarks them. In the case of arrival date stamps, they are part of the retail process before the books reach the consumer. I would equate a stamp going through that process more to someone clipping out an MVS or a coupon.

I don't think the analogy of obliteration and clipping out a coupon fits either. Clipping a coupon is destroying the comic, removing a part of it, like trimming does.

Obliteration does not destroy nor remove anything, it just adds ink to the stamp, like the arrival date does to the comic. Now we could argue about when the added ink occurs in the lifetime of the comic and that could mean a different perception for the collector, but it still does not change the result: ink has been added to the cover

I don't think the analogy of obliteration and clipping out a coupon fits either. Clipping a coupon is destroying the comic, removing a part of it, like trimming does.

Obliteration does not destroy nor remove anything, it just adds ink to the stamp, like the arrival date does to the comic. Now we could argue about when the added ink occurs in the lifetime of the comic and that could mean a different perception for the collector, but it still does not change the result: ink has been added to the cover

In stamps (philately), the obverse is not the only aspect. Using the stamp destroys the adhesive on the back and further causes the envelope to be adhered to the full back of the stamp. Also, the postmark usually covers a good percentage of the stamp, in some cases almost obliterating it.

i like full date stamps over store stamps. Store stamps are OK with me if the city and state are part of it. Makes it cool to see "where" the book "traveled" to/through. :) But, in general, store stamps are too large and obtrusive on the covers for me.

I don't mind dates (stamped or written) or distribution information or sometimes even original owner name - as long as it's discreet; small, in a "good" spot (in logo, not on art) and not a large grease-type pencil.

For me, discreetly added text at time of original resale, does not affect grade, but though others might downgrade. For some GA pedigrees, this type of info helps identify the book as a pedigree.

Not as fond of the store stamps, since they tend to be large and cover up art, so the reader knew were to take the comics to trade in for more books.

I don't mind dates (stamped or written) or distribution information or sometimes even original owner name - as long as it's discreet; small, in a "good" spot (in logo, not on art) and not a large grease-type pencil.

For me, discreetly added text at time of original resale, does not affect grade, but though others might downgrade. For some GA pedigrees, this type of info helps identify the book as a pedigree.

Not as fond of the store stamps, since they tend to be large and cover up art, so the reader knew were to take the comics to trade in for more books.

You are most wise. :applause:

Still waiting on a reply to my philately rebuttle from pickycollector. :(

There was no need for rebuttle, you didn't get my point, and I didn't get yours. What is the analogy of the adhesive on the back of stamp with comics ? :signofftopic:

As for an obliteration that covers a good percentage of stamp vs one that covers it slightly, I agree that the second is more attrative than the first and should also be less hammered in price, but both will always be less attractive and less valuable than a stamp that has not been obliterated.

Same should be with comics. A comic with a big store stamp is obviously less attractive than a comic with a faint and discreet arrival date. But both, like stamps, should worth less than a comic that has no "ink" added :sumo:

To answer your original question, I don't lump date stamps and store stamps together. For me, date stamps have no impact on grade, while store stamps do.

I prefer books with original dates. Gives me an idea when the book was actually on the newstand. I group distributor info with date stamps (again, for me, no impact on grade).