• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smelly comics

40 posts in this topic

Hi, I tried doing a search on this subject with no luck, so I'm hoping someone can answer my question or at least point me in the right direction.

Recently I've bought a few comics as readers from Ebay and other places that have that mildew oder that I'm sure most here have smelled before from older comics. My question is, if I store them in a box with non smelly comics, could they potentially stink up the entire box? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Casey

If you keep them bagged and boarded then they won't "infect" the other books. I think it's a toss up if you just left them raw in the general population of comics. Probably more dependent on the cause - if it's just musty old pulp, then it probably won't do anything because its the paper that's breaking down, if its from water damage then I'm sure there will be some residual effects on its neighbors.

But that's my speculation, not from any in depth knowledge.

I probably should have mentioned that most of my collection is bagged and boarded with everything being at least in bags. No raw books without protection in boxes.

Thanks for the answers so far.

There have been threads about this subject in the past.

Yes, the stink can spread.

I bought a few books that had a strong odour. I bought some kitty litter and suspended my books inside a box full of the litter but the smell didn't get any better.

What about Zeolite? Have you tried that stuff?

I bought some from a pet store but have yet to expose any comics to it hm

As mentioned before, it's mainly what's causing the smell that you have to worry about. General mustiness won't infect other books in my experience, but if it's mold-based, quarantine it immediately away from your other books. That will spread like wildfire through the other books.

There's a definite difference between silver-age general mustiness and mold/mildew. To me, the former smells like a dry attic and the latter has a swampy tinge to it. Living in the hot & humid southern US, I smell a lot of both and learned to tell the difference early on.

I had a bunch of comics that had a very heavy acid smell to them. I stored them in a separate shoebox all individually bagged. After awhile all the issues had the same heavy vinegary smell.

If it is an old musty smell, I have used baking soda in a box with some comics suspended above for a couple of months. It works only if it is a musty smell and there is no underlying condition, i.e. mold causing the smell. Takes a couple of months to work but I removed a NJ beachy smell from a set of comics that way.

Anyway, don't store those smell comics with your other collection.

Hi, I tried doing a search on this subject with no luck, so I'm hoping someone can answer my question or at least point me in the right direction.

Recently I've bought a few comics as readers from Ebay and other places that have that mildew oder that I'm sure most here have smelled before from older comics. My question is, if I store them in a box with non smelly comics, could they potentially stink up the entire box? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Casey

My dearest Casey,

It wasn't mold or mildew that has caused your comics to stink. It was the stench from your evil, black heart that has impregnated all your funny pages with the stink of evilness and...evil.

Point stealer. :sumo:

Thanks

Casey

My dearest Casey,

It wasn't mold or mildew that has caused your comics to stink. It was the stench from your evil, black heart that has impregnated all your funny pages with the stink of evilness and...evil.

Mods notified.

Thanks

Casey

My dearest Casey,

:whatev: