• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Right now, at various facilities around the globe, comic books are being pressed that will be sold and resold time and again, most frequently without either the buyer or the seller having any knowledge of this dastardly practice.

Perhaps we need to start a new organization...

NOE.jpg

:whistle:

Wow. You are feeling your oats today.

Not really. It's just all this drama is so stupid. Brent's been pressing books for years. This step was only the natural progression of things.

If anything, I find the situation slightly amusing. Hey Alanis, here's a good definition of the word "ironic." Put that in a song.

Traffic jam when you're already late

A No Smoking sign on your cigarette break

It's like the Chairman of Nod, just pressin' them books

Or a Houston-based retailer with stunning good looks

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

:signfunny: instant classic

The first three are fine examples of irony (thumbs u

The fourth is just fact :grin:

I tended to agree with the 4th when I thought it said "stunning good Books" ...

Brents situation is completely different..he is pressing books for people who he knows will sell them undisclosed( possibly anyways) Yet he is the Chariman for NOD which preaches full disclosure.

To me this is a conflict of interest, or at the least undermines NOD's bottom line greatly.

But Kenny in all fairness are you expecting Brent to police and what they do with their books after he presses their books, that's impossible? I guess all of us should be held to these same high standards? Your suggestion that you would black list a client if they had a book RESTORED and then tried to sell it as unrestored is great but how should this apply to pressing a book? Kind of apples an oranges don't you think?

Ya know I have to say I can see Jims point. Where exactly is the line drawn for Disclosure?

Brent will openly disclose every book he sells that he knows to be pressed, but will not disclose books that HE himself pressed, that are later sold undisclosed by third parties?

I mean I get it..Brent is only responsible for himself..but as a member of NOD or worse yet the Chariman of NOD I would think this to be a HUGE conflict of interest, and a very slippery slope. It totally goes against everything I thought NOD was about, or at least thought NOD was about. Which was Full Disclosure.

Yet here is the Chairman pressing books as a service, disclosing those that affect only him... all the while hundreds of undisclosed pressed books are potentially making their way into the market because of his direct actions.

This is seriously messed up guys. In an engines full stop, 3 steps backwards kinda way.

But I admit I have not looked at Brents site, or seen if there any prerequisites to using his service.

Look, I don't care one way or another. I press books. I don't care who knows it. I like Jim(well kind of, if only he liked a real basketball team), and I like Brent. Don't know either of them that well, but they seem to be both genuinely good guys.

That being said, I understand Jim's and Kenny's point. If Brent is willing to press books for anyone, knowing that many will not disclose, he is being an enabler. And while I don't have a problem with the behavior he is enabling (its not like some illegal action), he is a member of an organization that claims to want to battle this action(of nondisclosure, and maybe pressing).

However, lets give Brent a chance. Maybe he just changed his mind about disclosure/pressing. Maybe he has another explanation/thought process.

Brent is a good guy. Lets give him a chance.

no offense to those members that are not anti-pressing and think with a level head

This sentence alone makes my head spin . . . :insane:

It should have said ...or think with a level head. Meaning those that don't let their dislike of pressing push their emotions out of control and make crazy, hateful statements.

The first three are fine examples of irony (thumbs u

The fourth is just fact :grin:

And the response was a fine example of morony

willing to press books for anyone, knowing that many will not disclose, he is being an enabler

This is the most important point in all pressing threads: once a book is pressed & set loose upon the world, then the battle for disclosure is lost.

There is no way known to humanity to rollback an in-coming tide.

Ya know I have to say I can see Jims point. Where exactly is the line drawn for Disclosure?

Brent will openly disclose every book he sells that he knows to be pressed, but will not disclose books that HE himself pressed, that are later sold undisclosed by third parties?

I mean I get it..Brent is only responsible for himself..but as a member of NOD or worse yet the Chariman of NOD I would think this to be a HUGE conflict of interest, and a very slippery slope. It totally goes against everything I thought NOD was about, or at least thought NOD was about. Which was Full Disclosure.

Yet here is the Chairman pressing books as a service, disclosing those that affect only him... all the while hundreds of undisclosed pressed books are potentially making their way into the market because of his direct actions.

This is seriously messed up guys. In an engines full stop, 3 steps backwards kinda way.

But I admit I have not looked at Brents site, or seen if there any prerequisites to using his service.

Look, I don't care one way or another. I press books. I don't care who knows it. I like Jim(well kind of, if only he liked a real basketball team), and I like Brent. Don't know either of them that well, but they seem to be both genuinely good guys.

That being said, I understand Jim's and Kenny's point. If Brent is willing to press books for anyone, knowing that many will not disclose, he is being an enabler. And while I don't have a problem with the behavior he is enabling (its not like some illegal action), he is a member of an organization that claims to want to battle this action(of nondisclosure, and maybe pressing).

However, lets give Brent a chance. Maybe he just changed his mind about disclosure/pressing. Maybe he has another explanation/thought process.

Brent is a good guy. Lets give him a chance.

Although he's always been pro-pressing, I've got a lot of time for Brent...he's one of the solid, honest dealers in the hobby and a great bloke, to boot. (thumbs u

However, I now find myself in agreement with Jim, Kenny and Dale...and that is a sure sign of the apocalypse. :ohnoez:

Brent is in a position of some authority at NOD. NOD promotes full disclosure. NOD knows that many people don't disclose. Brent adds to the manipulated 'book pool', knowing full well that the books he has worked on will end up, at some point, being sold without disclosure.

Brent, you know I love you, man, but cake and eat it? (shrug)

The best rates in the business are also given by the same person that is the best presser in the business, they are $10.00 (and less) a book regardless of the era

Name & email address, please?

gator... gatorpressing@squash.com

you only press your own books, then?

no offense to those members that are not anti-pressing and think with a level head

This sentence alone makes my head spin . . . :insane:

It should have said ...or think with a level head. Meaning those that don't let their dislike of pressing push their emotions out of control and make crazy, hateful statements.

I dont particularly like pressing but i dont have a problem with Dale pressing books. Certainly not enough of one to make emotional and crazy statements.

What i do have a problem with is him constantly running his mouth about UNC. There will be a lot more of us than you in Charlotte. :sumo:

everyone's being uncharacteristically myopic about this.

i think it's a brilliant strategy by NOD to start the process by which they may corner the pressing market, and thus exact a small measure of control through their online image documenting service.

This really is the only logical explanation.

:ohnoez:

The best rates in the business are also given by the same person that is the best presser in the business, they are $10.00 (and less) a book regardless of the era

Name & email address, please?

gator... gatorpressing@squash.com

you only press your own books, then?

lol

willing to press books for anyone, knowing that many will not disclose, he is being an enabler

This is the most important point in all pressing threads: once a book is pressed & set loose upon the world, then the battle for disclosure is lost.

If Brent compiles a digital database with high resolution images of the books that he's pressed, then the majority of these comics can be confirmed as having been pressed in perpetuity, no matter how many times they are subsequently reslabbed and their certification numbers changed.

Under these circumstances, he would be a discloser rather than an enabler.

Here we go...

I got called a "booger-flicker" by someone when I brought that up in my 1st pressing thread . . .

like you'd waste a good booger by flicking it away.

We are not the Chairman of an anti resto group.(not that NOD is all about anti pressing,but it is a huge part of it. )

That is just simply flat out wrong Kenny. The NOD has NEVER been anti-restoration (or anti-pressing) in the slightest. It is improper and unfair to say otherwise. In fact, many of us, including me, have gone out of our way to publicly encourage the destigmatization of restoration.

Do members of the group believe pressing is restoration? Some do. Do members of the group dislike pressing? Some do. Maybe even some dislike restoration (which certainly isn't something new to this hobby), just as some people dislike slabbed books.

But to say the NOD is an "anti resto group" isn't even close to the truth.

Mark, you mis read my comments, I think.

I was implying that if Matt and I formed a "resto disclosure" group. Yet worked on, and restored books to people who we know would later sold them as unrestored it would be similar to Brent pressing books, and being chariman for the NOD which preaches full disclosure. ( I know ..confusing.. I blame Roy)

I didn't mean in any way shape or form that NOD was ANTI resto...or pressing for that matter. My comments were in response to Roy.

Hope you can see that after a re read,..or when I get back I will re write it. I didn't mean for it to imply that NOD was anti resto.

If you didn't mean how it was worded or came across Kenny, then I certainly have no issue. I appreciate your clarification for the record.

And, yes, I do agree with people nevertheless that there is a sense of irony in what has transpired, but that is a separate issue.

If Brent compiles a digital database with high resolution images of the books that he's pressed, then the majority of these comics be confirmed as having been pressed in perpetuity, no matter how many times they are reslabbed and their certification numbers changed.

Do you honestly think one will be able to positively identify a book as being pressed even with recorded scans when you start comparing books that otherwise have no distinguishing characteristics? Comics aren't like snowflakes.

Furthermore, having my book and personal information entered into someone else's data base could possibly even discourage me from using their service to begin with.