• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

greggy's Principle

If I choose to ignore your ramblings, you are most likely a fool

That's why you hang on my words like a rapt schoolboy.

PS The 9.6 Boy Commandos you sold me is now a 9.8 signed by Joe Simon. No pressing, just an old school Yellow label bump. You rule and all others drool..

greggy's Principle

PS The 9.6 Boy Commandos you sold me is now a 9.8 signed by Joe Simon. No pressing, just an old school Yellow label bump. You rule and all others drool..

Gift

greggy's Principle

Gift
:o

greggy's Principle

Gift

:luhv:

I ordered something at Lotus of Siam in vegas that translated from Thai means "The Chili Pit." It was so f-ing hot i thought my testicles were going to spontaneously combust. I ate six bites of it and then said no mas. The best part was they served home-made pork rinds with it.

Darwin's Corollary

Chili peppers may cause spontaneous t**ticular combustion which does not contribute to species survival but rather asymmetric postmating isolation.

Shin,

It was unbelievable. I tried to order it as an appetizer and the guy wouldn't let me. He literally said "If you get it first, it will ruin you for the rest of the meal." So then, of course, i still had to get it. Thank god it was after our last entree and before the coconut ice cream and sticky rice.

The reality has come to this: If you don't want someone else to take advantage of you, you need to be pressing books. Whether you agree or disagree, if you don't press major books, many times you are facilitating the wealth of a select few who will target you and purchase books knowing you don't press.

That's really what it all boils down to. I press now for that exact reason. Set aside all of the histrionics, soapbox preaching and ethical debates...when someone buys a 9.4 from me for $800, presses it into a 9.6 and flips it for $3000, things need to change in my selling model. Period. Nobody likes playing the sucker or the mark, and I'd rather have that profit riding on my hip. I don't know too many people in this hobby, collectors or dealers, who are in this to make other people money.

I won't do it. If I make a sufficient profit out of selling a book unpressed, I'm content, even if I'm potentially leaving money on the table for someone with less scruples. Squeezing every last possible dollar out of a book isn't worth sacrificing my principles.

Comicocide.

When all people who hate pressed comics start pressing all of their own books to prevent pressers from getting at them.

lol That's a great one, Roy.

I must say that I am sad to see more and more anti-pressers committing comicocide.

Forgive me for breaking up the fun, but I have a serious question for Tim, Nick, and anyone else inherently opposed to pressing -- and I assure you this is not patronizing.

If there was a CGC 9.4 book you wanted, and it was unpressed and not improvable by pressing, and it was then pressed with no visible change, resubbed, and came back as a CGC 9.4, would you still object to the book?

Forgive me for breaking up the fun, but I have a serious question for Tim, Nick, and anyone else inherently opposed to pressing -- and I assure you this is not patronizing.

If there was a CGC 9.4 book you wanted, and it was unpressed and not improvable by pressing, and it was then pressed with no visible change, resubbed, and came back as a CGC 9.4, would you still object to the book?

Yes. Maybe not as much as to a book that got its grade improved by cheating pressing, but still yes.

Maybe mostly on the grounds of the sheer stupidity of it. It's like a ballplayer who can't break into the majors because he can't hit a curve ball, and then juices up, damaging his body in the process, and still can't break into the majors because he still can't hit a curve ball.

Yes. (thumbs u

For me it's not the 'improvement' that's the issue, it's the fact that it's been manipulated.

Yes

That's really what it all boils down to. I press now for that exact reason. Set aside all of the histrionics, soapbox preaching and ethical debates...when someone buys a 9.4 from me for $800, presses it into a 9.6 and flips it for $3000, things need to change in my selling model. Period. Nobody likes playing the sucker or the mark, and I'd rather have that profit riding on my hip. I don't know too many people in this hobby, collectors or dealers, who are in this to make other people money.

lol

No, there is no NEED for your selling model to change. Selling books at a price that you are comfortable with and provides you with a profit does not make one a "sucker" or a "mark" if someone else makes more money on it, manipulated or otherwise. You've just gone over the edge to bitter and feeling entitled, and at such a young age.

I would never object to the book. My take is this, 9.4 book unpressed = unrestored, price I will pay, unrestored 9.4 price. 9.4 book pressed = restored, price I will pay, restored 9.4 price (which is ~25% the unrestored price in my mind). I have no problem buying nice restored books with decent eye appeal, I just want to pay the restored price for a restored book. Pretty simple really. If other collectors want to pay unrestored prices for a restored book (in my opinion), good for them, I also have no problem if they want to.

I would never object to the book. My take is this, 9.4 book unpressed = unrestored, price I will pay, unrestored 9.4 price. 9.4 book pressed = restored, price I will pay, restored 9.4 price (which is ~25% the unrestored price in my mind). I have no problem buying nice restored books with decent eye appeal, I just want to pay the restored price for a restored book. Pretty simple really. If other collectors want to pay unrestored prices for a restored book (in my opinion), good for them, I also have no problem if they want to.

And this is exactly why sellers have zero incentive to disclose. Even the collectors who are willing to buy pressed books, don't want to pay "full price". What's the point of the manufactured grade bump then?

And this is exactly why sellers have zero incentive to disclose. Even the collectors who are willing to buy pressed books, don't want to pay "full price". What's the point of the manufactured grade bump then?

The collectors who don't give a mess are more than willing to pay full price.

The collectors who don't give a mess are more than willing to pay full price.

Like I said, if someone wants to pay full price for a restored book, good for them and especially good for the seller. Doesn't affect me. Sure, means I don't buy the book, but there are tons more of restored copies out there and even a few unrestored ones. It's all good (thumbs u