• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How in the world did this go unnoticed???

1,945 posts in this topic

Why? It is a dead on statement. Instead of doing a CPR on a book all dealers/collectors alike would need to do is re-sub and hope for the best.

It may be a "dead on statement", I just can't believe the the Board of Directors Chairman of the "Network of Disclosure" could make a statement like that. What does his organization stand for? (shrug)

Perhaps they need to change the name to "Network of Selective Disclosure" or something along those lines.

It's not the statement, it's who made the statement.

Alec, Brent is simply stating as an opinion about what he thinks would happen in such a scenario.

NOD is about proactively disclosing work done to books. To be a member, you have to agree to proactively disclose any work that you know has been done to a book. Since Brent discloses he is a member in good standing.

What other people do after CGC labels a book pressed or unpressed, and how Brent perceives the change will affect the marketplace has no relation to his standing in NOD or NOD itself.

Admittedly, my second line was a bit harsh and I do apologize for the smart :censored: remark. However, I will say again that coming from the leader of the NOD organization, that really seems like a defeatist attitude.

They seem to have set themselves up as an organization that is intended to help police (if you will) the hobby and make sure that "any form of restoration or enhancement known to exist" is disclosed in an effort "to foster both a greater level of confidence and sense of security within the marketplace." Yet their board chairman is essentially saying there is going to be undisclosed restoration or enhancements no matter what we do, so why even try.

To me, that is kind of like saying why have police because there is going to be crime no matter what we do.

The NOD was never intended to be a watchdog or policing organization except of it's own members.

And I never said why even try. The best avenue to counter undisclosed enhancements is to disclose yourself and set the example for the hobby. That is about the extent of what can be done. If undetectable, which it currently is, there is ZERO chance that anything will change.

Susan Cicconi seems to suggest on her website in the section that describes her policy on pressing, that she can detect whether a book has been pressed or not. She doesn't come out directly and say it, but she does state:

"I am confident that under most circumstances I can determine whether a book is unrestored and in its original state or has been worked on by an amateur or professional."

Why would she put that in her policy on pressing unless she feels that she could detect pressing as well?

Uri Geller says he can bend spoons with his mind.

It is his schtick.

Susan Cicconi seems to suggest on her website in the section that describes her policy on pressing, that she can detect whether a book has been pressed or not. She doesn't come out directly and say it, but she does state:

"I am confident that under most circumstances I can determine whether a book is unrestored and in its original state or has been worked on by an amateur or professional."

Why would she put that in her policy on pressing unless she feels that she could detect pressing as well?

Uri Geller says he can bend spoons with his mind.

It is his schtick.

I can bend spoons with my bare hands.

The difference is that NOD is actually a member organization that you could join to be a part of the policy and decision making process.

I call BS :whistle:

The NOD was never intended to be a watchdog or policing organization except of it's own members.

And I never said why even try. The best avenue to counter undisclosed enhancements is to disclose yourself and set the example for the hobby. That is about the extent of what can be done. If undetectable, which it currently is, there is ZERO chance that anything will change.

OK.

Well, I guess I don't understand the purpose of having an organization whose mission statement is:

The Network of Disclosure is a group of comic book dealers and collectors, who have pledged to disclose any form of restoration or enhancement, known to exist, on a comic book whose ownership is to be transferred to another party through sale, trade or gift. Our objective is to create a safer and more open environment for those buying and selling comic books. By publicly sharing this type of history of each of these books with our fellow collectors and customers, we seek to foster both a greater level of confidence and sense of security within the marketplace.

but doesn't actively attempt to get all dealers and collectors to adhere to the same ideals.

I guess that's where I'm getting confused. Being a member of NOD seems like just a marketing tool at that point and not an organization that is interested in proactively promoting the same values they espouse, to the rest of the hobby.

Why would I want to be a member if you don't actually stand for something other than being able to put your logo on my Ebay auctions?

The difference is that NOD is actually a member organization that you could join to be a part of the policy and decision making process.

That argument failed a while back. You can easily join now, slim.

It may be a "dead on statement", I just can't believe the the Board of Directors Chairman of the "Network of Disclosure" could make a statement like that. What does his organization stand for? (shrug)

Perhaps they need to change the name to "Network of Selective Disclosure" or something along those lines.

It's not the statement, it's who made the statement.

See Bold....

:roflmao:

I don't believe he is calling BS on the ease of joining.

:gossip: Master CPU is a member

I jst made a sandwich...but something is driving me NUTS. How do you toast the sub bread, heat the ham, aaaaand have the provolone cheese melted..if it all requires different temperatures..plus putting the the tomotoes and lettucce kept fresh before serving....it's going to be a daunting task..but, I am on a mission.. I WILL CREATE THE PERFECT SANDWICH>>>

So to argue that Most of the time are good enough results for one and not the other is ridonkulous. meh

Pat, we're not talking most of the time for pressing.

We are talking about SOME of the time pressing is detectable and MOST of the time trimming is detectable.

There is a really big difference between the two.

People will respect an educated decision that is mostly correct. They won't respect an educated decision that is mostly incorrect.

I can't believe anyone would even debate this.

OK.

Well, I guess I don't understand the purpose of having an organization whose mission statement is:

The Network of Disclosure is a group of comic book dealers and collectors, who have pledged to disclose any form of restoration or enhancement, known to exist, on a comic book whose ownership is to be transferred to another party through sale, trade or gift. Our objective is to create a safer and more open environment for those buying and selling comic books. By publicly sharing this type of history of each of these books with our fellow collectors and customers, we seek to foster both a greater level of confidence and sense of security within the marketplace.

but doesn't actively attempt to get all dealers and collectors to adhere to the same ideals.

I guess that's where I'm getting confused. Being a member of NOD seems like just a marketing tool at that point and not an organization that is interested in proactively promoting the same values they espouse, to the rest of the hobby.

Why would I want to be a member if you don't actually stand for something other than being able to put your logo on my Ebay auctions?

Alec, they are trying to get all dealers and collectors to adhere to the same ideals, but there is no better way to do it than to walk by example.

You can't force them to. This isn't an inquisition where people have to convert or die.

They are not responsible for those that do not share the ideal, which is what you are making it sound like.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

???

I jst made a sandwich...but something is driving me NUTS. How do you toast the sub bread, heat the ham, aaaaand have the provolone cheese melted..if it all requires different temperatures..plus putting the the tomotoes and lettucce kept fresh before serving....it's going to be a daunting task..but, I am on a mission.. I WILL CREATE THE PERFECT SANDWICH>>>

Quizno's might be hiring right now. They'll set you straight. (thumbs u

I don't understand this argument. The exact same thing can be said about trimming, which has been proven. Yet they still note that on the label in the cases where they detect it.

See my post to Res. about majority being detectable and minority being detectable.

:foryou:

Quizno's might be hiring right now. They'll set you straight. (thumbs u

They probably will but, the art lies in me kickin it right after I bite into the deliciousness of my masterpiece...does quiznos allow that? If so..I AM IN!!

Thanks Mike (thumbs u

But in light of recent events I have no idea what NOD hopes to accomplish.