• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pittsburgh Comic Shops?

22 posts in this topic

I am driving to Frederick, Maryland on Tuesday and may have an extra hour or 2 along the way. (I'm coming from Michigan) Are there any good comic shops in the Pittsburgh area? I tend to look for SA & BA books in higher grade. I saw a Phantom Of The Attic store just off I-76. Any good?

Thanks for any info. Or if you know of a good shop along the way to Frederick that's not too far off the beaten path. I've got a whirlwind trip in that I'm attending a funeral on Wed. and then heading right back.

Dan

The various New Dimensions stores north of Pittsburgh are probably worth checking out, especially the Ellwood City store: ndcomics.com. I can't recommend any other store. The Phantom of the Attic in Monroeville doesn't have much in the way of SA/BA.

I'd go with Eide's. Best store in the area. If you go to New Dimension, I think there's one store in particular that has the best of the back stock.

We'll be like two ships passing, I'm heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow am, coming back tuesday morning.

I'd go with Eide's. Best store in the area. If you go to New Dimension, I think there's one store in particular that has the best of the back stock.

We'll be like two ships passing, I'm heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow am, coming back tuesday morning.

yeah - the elwood city store has the largest back issue collection. The stores in Mcmurray and Century 3 are great too.

Eides is downtown and is pretty awesome

Eides is downtown, but there's nearby public parking and they have lots of back issues, highly recommended! Never been to the ND stores, I think the one north of downtown is the biggest?

If you go to Eides, be sure to ask them about the Detective 27 debacle! lol

Time permitting, I'm going to check out Eides tomorrow. I called today and I'm glad I did. The 1st Google Map I printed put me in the wrong place.

I'm looking forward to seeing the BA & SA slection, though probably more BA material. It's harder and harder to find comic shops that aren't solely devoted to new material and toys.

I think I was at Beyond Comics in Frederick about 2 1/2 years go. (My best friend, who's wife's funeral I'm going to on Wed. - hence the somber reason for the quick trip - took me to it.) I almost bought FF Omnibus 2 but decided against it.

Time permitting, I'm going to check out Eides tomorrow. I called today and I'm glad I did. The 1st Google Map I printed put me in the wrong place.

I'm looking forward to seeing the BA & SA slection, though probably more BA material. It's harder and harder to find comic shops that aren't solely devoted to new material and toys.

I think I was at Beyond Comics in Frederick about 2 1/2 years go. (My best friend, who's wife's funeral I'm going to on Wed. - hence the somber reason for the quick trip - took me to it.) I almost bought FF Omnibus 2 but decided against it.

I was at Eide's today and just had dinner with Greg Eide. What a great day. And I picked up some fabulous books.

There's tons of GA, SA, and BA for you look for. Just a ton of material. Enjoy it.

So yesterday I was able to go Eide's and look through their inventory fairly extensively. They have a ton of Timelys right now, including an extensive selection of Cap Comics and Marvel Mysterys. Very nice stuff.

For those of you who only know Greg through the Tec 27 saga (which we did discuss), he is actually a very solid guy. In case you're wondering, he definitely was interested in discussing the Tec 27 and is sure that the book is still trimmed. While I thought that some of his previous posts were a little on the rambling side, he's not that way at all in person. His shop is incredible with floors devoted to records and dvds with comics in the basement. The store, unlike most shops, is dominated by back issues. It's also not the norm to see high grade silver, keys, extensive golden age etc. in many shops. The grading is consistent, accurate and the prices very reasonable. In some cases, real bargains.

I went to dinner with Greg and it was a fascinating conversation about how he built his store, some of the collections that he's come across and stories about some of the truly great finds as well as his feelings about the vintage market. After dinner I saw the "pad" he built above the store and it's pretty sweet. Then I was able to see his collection which is really unbelievable when you consider that it was built through collections brought to his store almost exclusively. A Batman 1, a showcase 22 (probably an 8.0), unbelievably high grade 50s DCs -- just breathtaking some of the books.

Had some time to kill so I went back to dig through some of the boxes... I bought a stack but nothing terribly interesting... here are some of the highlights of my purchases though...

avengers4e.jpg

BB28.jpg

Tec307e.jpg

Tec308.jpg

Tec315.jpg

batman185.jpg

TTA44.jpg

ASM122e.jpg

MCIC7.jpg

JIM116.jpg

And from an earlier Eide's trip...

ASM13.jpg

So yesterday I was able to go Eide's and look through their inventory fairly extensively. They have a ton of Timelys right now, including an extensive selection of Cap Comics and Marvel Mysterys. Very nice stuff.

For those of you who only know Greg through the Tec 27 saga (which we did discuss), he is actually a very solid guy. In case you're wondering, he definitely was interested in discussing the Tec 27 and is sure that the book is still trimmed. While I thought that some of his previous posts were a little on the rambling side, he's not that way at all in person. His shop is incredible with floors devoted to records and dvds with comics in the basement. The store, unlike most shops, is dominated by back issues. It's also not the norm to see high grade silver, keys, extensive golden age etc. in many shops. The grading is consistent, accurate and the prices very reasonable. In some cases, real bargains.

I went to dinner with Greg and it was a fascinating conversation about how he built his store, some of the collections that he's come across and stories about some of the truly great finds as well as his feelings about the vintage market. After dinner I saw the "pad" he built above the store and it's pretty sweet. Then I was able to see his collection which is really unbelievable when you consider that it was built through collections brought to his store almost exclusively. A Batman 1, a showcase 22 (probably an 8.0), unbelievably high grade 50s DCs -- just breathtaking some of the books.

Had some time to kill so I went back to dig through some of the boxes... I bought a stack but nothing terribly interesting... here are some of the highlights of my purchases though...

Nothing terribly interesting? :whistle:

Beyond Comics doesn't seem to do much in the line of vintage, and I assume that's the primary focus for this person.

Does an AF 15 and Spidey 1 count?????

How about a short stack of Baker romance books?

Worked for me.

Beyond Comics doesn't seem to do much in the line of vintage, and I assume that's the primary focus for this person.

Does an AF 15 and Spidey 1 count?????

How about a short stack of Baker romance books?

Worked for me.

Should put them in their pics on line... the pics online don't show any back issues (or even bins for back issue). All depends on the prices too... if they are just "display pieces" then that's a very small selection, even though those are great books. Also, if you are saying you bought them awhile back, that's great, but he was asking about what was currently in stock. I would have stopped by long ago if there was any indication online (or through a review) that they carried reasonably priced back issues. Have stopped by Brainstorm before, but little in the line of vintage there.

avengers4e.jpg

BB28.jpg

Tec307e.jpg

Tec308.jpg

Tec315.jpg

batman185.jpg

TTA44.jpg

ASM122e.jpg

MCIC7.jpg

JIM116.jpg

And from an earlier Eide's trip...

ASM13.jpg

nice pickup!

Well, I made it there and just missed Foolkiller. Actually, I think he was there when I entered but I took some time just to check things out.

They had a very nice selection. I only had about $100 to spend so I ended up buying a lot of early 80's books to fill in some runs. Nothing expensive or exciting to post.

I got Superboy & The LSH 256 - 258 which gives me #236 - over the 300's. (A lot of this stuff is from my childhood.) I got a few Avengers in the 210's that complete a 164 - 220 run. I bought Marvel Fanfare 1 - 4. I used to own them but got rid of them in the mid-80's college years. I also got Sword Of Sorcery #3. But the biggest lot I bought were some late 80's Conan's. None of them are worth much but they filled in a batch which gives me #1 - 218. They're kind of tough to find at the Motor City Show due to them being not worth much.

So, like I said, nothing exciting but I was happy with it. It's hard to find stores like Eides with a great back issue selection anymore. The guys that worked there were real nice also. The owner came down and greeted me and was a class act.