• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HooDeeDoo THE LIST WITH PRICES

146 posts in this topic

While I do not know how Gman deals, one thing that always makes me laugh is when I see dealers complaining about someone else making money off of books that THEY AGREE TO SELL AT THAT PRICE. It is a good thing that they do not ever lowball sellers to get the lowest price possible when picking up the books in the first place.

While I do not know how Gman deals, one thing that always makes me laugh is when I see dealers complaining about someone else making money off of books that THEY AGREE TO SELL AT THAT PRICE. It is a good thing that they do not ever lowball sellers to get the lowest price possible when picking up the books in the first place.

****(for the purposes of this post I have created a fictional character named "sneezy" ... this character is not meant to represent any specific board member)****

Usually when an agreement is made to sell a book at a lower price it's because that's not the full extent of the transaction. This isn't the stock market with anonymous puts and calls.

I have sold books to Darth cheaper than what I could have sold them to someone else. I chose to forego part of my profit in exchange for consideration down the road. That consideration means that on a future deal I may get offered a book that I would not have otherwise seen. Or I may get a slightly better price than the price I was willing to pay. Or most recently, he may agree to take a couple books off my hands that I need to move.

If I take a $100 book and sell it to Darth for $90 because he wants it for his collection, I record that sale as a $100 book exchanged for $90 cash and $10 of goodwill. That goodwill has value. Goodwill is the single largest asset currently on the balance sheet for Marvel Comics (feel free to look it up).

What many sellers have complained about, and perhaps rightfully so, is that when selling to "sneezy", they do not receive fair value on the goodwill they should have generated from the sale.

I sell a book a little cheaper to Darth, and not only is he likely to buy from me in the future, he is also likely to mention to his friends that I was a good guy to buy from. That $10 of goodwill spreads to the rest of the community. The perception of me as a seller improves.

If blazingbob sells a book to "sneezy" at a 10% discount because "sneezy" says it's for his collection, and then "sneezy" turns around and brags about flipping it for a profit, the blazing one doesn't get fair value on the goodwill he should have received. Not only is he not likely to receive additional business from "sneezy" on the basis of the past deal, but "sneezy" doesn't recommend blazingbob as a seller, and the fact that "sneezy" brags about the flip may actually weaken the blazing one's stature in the marketplace. He gets painted as a fool.

I sell a book at a discount to Darth, I can fully expect to receive full value for the discounted money. I sell a book at a discount to "sneezy" and the only thing I can get is a loss of money and a guy doing his "Nelson" impression pointing at me and saying "HAHA"... Sellers who get burned by a guy like "sneezy" have every reason to be upset. They have had goodwill stolen from them.

As for me personally when dealing with gman, he makes money on every deal we make. But so do I. And I don't haggle with him. So the question of goodwill never comes into play... confused-smiley-013.gif

but where are these examples....please enlighten us with some.

Do you mean PM's like this??

G-man:.......

"oh and just for laughs...i paid even less than bob's asking $. "

893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

shocked.gif

well we were talking if i recall about how much i paid for it (you had asked me about this) and you were upset because you did not get the book yourself (i think you mentioned that you would have paid double).....hey you have to be quick when a good deal comes your way.

And you're right it was in a PM but not on the boards....thanks for sharing. thumbsup2.gif

well we were talking if i recall about how much i paid for it (you had asked me about this) and you were upset because you did not get the book yourself (i think you mentioned that you would have paid double).....hey you have to be quick when a good deal comes your way.

And you're right it was in a PM but not on the boards....thanks for sharing.

Greggy told me about the price and the listing on Bobs site before I spoke to you. Then I asked Bob. Bob mentioned to me that a certain person thought his prices were a little high and talked him down. I then of course thought of you. I asked if you were the buyer earlier in our PM’s. I gladly mentioned I’d pay double Bobs price.

You seem to be suggesting that this comment is just a direct result of asking how much you paid? Hmmm......893scratchchin-thumb.gif I did ask how much you sold the book for afterwards. If this was a result of my question could I please see the previous PM I wrote and time stamp? And then why did you write “just for laughs”? I posted this cause you asked for an example. Couldn’t help it after your continual denial. But your right, I was a slow on the deal. Not the first time either.

grin.gif

"If I take a $100 book and sell it to Darth for $90 because he wants it for his collection, I record that sale as a $100 book exchanged for $90 cash and $10 of goodwill. That goodwill has value. Goodwill is the single largest asset currently on the balance sheet for Marvel Comics (feel free to look it up)."

I know what you're saying in regards to you personally. But I do find it entertaining that Marvel's biggest asset is goodwill. Do you know how that goodwill is generated? Only on purchases of other companies; that's the only time you can record it. It's the amount which you paid over and above the assets you can actually identify like property and equipment. So on a very superficial level (I've never looked at marvel's statements) that tells me they've likely bought out a lot of other companies for way too much money and probably more than they could afford. Toybiz anyone? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i am talking about stating details of $$ made in deals on the forums not PMs. If I had saved 1/2 of the PMs and emails i have received telling me how much sellers have paid, you would fall off your chair....then of course "shhh, keep it to yourself." And the amounts they have racked up are alot more than the few pennies I have made......but that is part of the fun when you find a nice book, send it in and if not for your own collection, you turn it over to a dealer/collector/ebay, etc for a tidy sum. And when chatting with other collectors/sellers and you are talking about recent sales, you mention your sales and they talk about theirs.....nothing wrong with that is there?

Like I said before, it's not what you do, it's how you do it. Your attitude sucks. I think it's just immaturity. Read lighthouse's post carefully and try to understand where the rest of the world is coming from. You seem like a decent guy, but you need to learn how to deal with people and understand what their needs are as well as your own. It's not all about what $$$ you can make today.

Brent

Like I said before, it's not what you do, it's how you do it. Your attitude sucks. I think it's just immaturity. Read lighthouse's post carefully and try to understand where the rest of the world is coming from. You seem like a decent guy, but you need to learn how to deal with people and understand what their needs are as well as your own. It's not all about what $$$ you can make today.

Brent

To be fair... most of my posts are far too long to be read carefully... and there's usually lots of long words... confused-smiley-013.gif

'House

just from reading these posts I'd rather set my books on fire than sell to G-Man . Sounds like the people who if you are asking a $1000 for a $2000 book will offer you $500 instead of just taking the good deal and moving on Shaking someone down for every last cent is guaranteed to leave a crappy taste in anyones mouth.

Brent

sell that asm #12 yet?

need to learn how to deal with people and understand what their needs are as well as your own. It's not all about what $$$ you can make today

well my methods seem to be working and have been for years....feedback is solid, have some good contacts, repeat customers....lots of talkers on these boards...