• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man gets a new director

73 posts in this topic

Spike Jonze, McG, Antoine Fuqua all got started directing videos. It's how Hollywood finds new directing talent these days.

2 out of 3 are good. I will smite thee with a garden rake (the metal kind) if you are saying you like McG's work.

Charlies Angels, and if that wasn't enough to gouge your own eyes out or put you into a seizure because it's 2 hours of 1.5 second jump cuts....he came back for Charlies Angels: Full Throttle Suckage.

If the guy can't save a film with Lucy Liu in 19 different tight fitting costumes there is no hope for him.

He's a white guy from Kalmazoo Michigan, who goes by the name McG. This is one case where you could tell the book from the cover.

lol I was going to go with Mark Romanek but he's directed like, what, 1 or 2 movies (that most people hadn't heard of). He was attached to direct The Wolf Man at one point, but left over creative differences

Regardless of the director, the story is what's going to drive this movie. If in fact they do plan on a reboot, they'll need a really good way of doing that and not make it seem like trashing something that came out less than 10 years ago.

So will this movie be targeted towards the MTV generation?

Obviously they're looking for the Twilight crowd and will make this more a teen soap than a super-hero movie.

I really feel bad for you hardcore fans, as this shows that movies will never "continue" in a comic book manner, with characters changing, growing, dying, etc. - it'll just be one reboot after another. Why would any fan pay money to support that model?

Regardless of the director, the story is what's going to drive this movie. If in fact they do plan on a reboot, they'll need a really good way of doing that and not make it seem like trashing something that came out less than 10 years ago.

Raimi was a relatively controversial choice when he was picked for the first Spider-Man.

He was known for, mostly, B-movies and campy style films. Turns out he has loved Spider-man all his life and his style meshed perfectly.

I don't mind a new director, really, because Raimi's idea for the 4th film would have torpedoed the entire franchise and was really a departure from the known universe.

Also, as long as this director loses the spend-every-moment-on-screen-weeping-weepy-little-baby-tears-and-I-don't-want-to-wear-the-mask-like-ever-because-then-I-can't-adequately-market-myself-for-my-next-film-Spider-man it will be alright.

Yes, please lose this:

"But Aunt May hates me, and Harry hates me, and MJ left me, and I have itchy anus, and this is Lost's last season, and I didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe and it's all SO SAD"

007SM3_Tobey_Maguire_082.jpg

Obviously they're looking for the Twilight crowd and will make this more a teen soap than a super-hero movie .

I really feel bad for you hardcore fans, as this shows that movies will never "continue" in a comic book manner, with characters changing, growing, dying, etc. - it'll just be one reboot after another. Why would any fan pay money to support that model?

[font:Arial Black]I STILL HATE YOU TWILIGHT!!!!! [/font] :pullhair: :pullhair:

Yes, please lose this:

"But Aunt May hates me, and Harry hates me, and MJ left me, and I have itchy anus, and this is Lost's last season, and I didn't get nominated for a Golden Globe and it's all SO SAD"

:roflmao:

Raimi was a relatively controversial choice when he was picked for the first Spider-Man.

He was known for, mostly, B-movies and campy style films. Turns out he has loved Spider-man all his life and his style meshed perfectly.

I don't mind a new director, really, because Raimi's idea for the 4th film would have torpedoed the entire franchise and was really a departure from the known universe.

Also, as long as this director loses the spend-every-moment-on-screen-weeping-weepy-little-baby-tears-and-I-don't-want-to-wear-the-mask-like-ever-because-then-I-can't-adequately-market-myself-for-my-next-film-Spider-man it will be alright.

Yes, please lose this:

Or if you prefer this was the image of Spider-man I had after Spider-man 3..

babyspidey2.jpg

Yes, please lose this:

Or if you prefer this was the image of Spider-man I had after Spider-man 3..

babyspidey2.jpg

:roflmao::signfunny:

Obviously they're looking for the Twilight crowd and will make this more a teen soap than a super-hero movie.

I agree with about half of this. I don't see this being made for the typical Twilight fan. 500 Days of Summer is an enjoyable movie, not on the same level as Twilight. Really, I'm curious as to why you think it's so obvious.

No comic book movies should ever go in a comic book manner (the one time they did, we got 'Batman and Robin'). I've always viewed them as being movies for the masses--not a small percentage of fans. These movies are being made to make a profit and to appeal to the average person who has never picked up a comic book before. I think comic book fans need to start accepting that and quit getting all butt hurt over it. It'll make life much happier.

I agree with about half of this. I don't see this being made for the typical Twilight fan. 500 Days of Summer is an enjoyable movie, not on the same level as Twilight. Really, I'm curious as to why you think it's so obvious.

No comic book movies should ever go in a comic book manner (the one time they did, we got 'Batman and Robin'). I've always viewed them as being movies for the masses--not a small percentage of fans. These movies are being made to make a profit and to appeal to the average person who has never picked up a comic book before. I think comic book fans need to start accepting that and quit getting all butt hurt over it. It'll make life much happier.

+1

Sounds like a Hollywood copout to me. They can make superhero movies that are faithful to the source material and still loved by the masses. Anything else is just doublespeak for people who are embarrassed to be working with "kids stuff" or they just want to change enough to make it their own. If the director takes the material seriously and plays it straight ala Richard Donner and not camp it up ala Schumacher it can appeal to everyone.

Sounds like a Hollywood copout to me. They can make superhero movies that are faithful to the source material and still loved by the masses. Anything else is just doublespeak for people who are embarrassed to be working with "kids stuff" or they just want to change enough to make it their own. If the director takes the material seriously and plays it straight ala Richard Donner and not camp it up ala Schumacher it can appeal to everyone.

I think the masses are aware that comic's just aren't for kids anymore, with The Dark Knight and Watchmen release's.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with them wanting to make money. Thats how Hollywood is. Sometimes they do good, sometimes, they don't.

I think the masses are aware that comic's just aren't for kids anymore, with The Dark Knight and Watchmen release's.

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with them wanting to make money. Thats how Hollywood is. Sometimes they do good, sometimes, they don't.

I don't disagree with that. What I disagree with is The Great Lie they perpetuate. How come the X-MEN wore black biker leather..well duh they told us, their comicbook costumes would look just too darn silly on the BIG SCREEN. Funny, I didn't think Spider-Man's costume looked silly at all, I thought it looked pretty awesome. I'm just sayin'.

I don't disagree with that. What I disagree with is The Great Lie they perpetuate. How come the X-MEN wore black biker leather..well duh they told us, their comicbook costumes would look just too darn silly on the BIG SCREEN. Funny, I didn't think Spider-Man's costume looked silly at all, I thought it looked pretty awesome. I'm just sayin'.

Personally I think some costumes will look stupid on the big screen. Spider-Man looked great, no doubt about it, but Wolverine wouldn't exactly instill fear in my heart if he wound up wearing his yellow outfit. Creative liberties like that I have nothing wrong with, bad acting and an even worse story I do have a problem with.

Personally I think some costumes will look stupid on the big screen. Spider-Man looked great, no doubt about it, but Wolverine wouldn't exactly instill fear in my heart if he wound up wearing his yellow outfit. Creative liberties like that I have nothing wrong with, bad acting and an even worse story I do have a problem with.

Exactly, Wolverine in the yellow costume would look silly, take the Watchmen movie for example, didn`t Nite-Owl look lame?