• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

He-man, Transformers.........

29 posts in this topic

With my current collecting goal almost complete I am searching for a new one. My idea is to collect Copper Age comics (high grade 9.8) that have the first appearance of the group of characters that are a toy.cartoon.

The obvious key issues would be Transformers #1, G.I. Joe #1 but I am trying to get an idea of how many others there might be.

Does anyone have any thoughts to other 'keys' of this nature?

Since you're a Canadian, and by the looks of your collecting interests, I might suggest a good challenge by finding high-grade copies of Transformer #1 Limited Series with the $1.00 price and G.I. Joe #21 with the 75¢ price. Star also published a significant amount of titles during this period which are quite scarce on their own, and Thundercats is a title that might correspond well with your collecting interests. Other notable mentions are ASM 238 and ASM 252 which both had 75¢ price variants and He-Man - Masters of the Universe (Both DC and Star had Canadian price variants).

An important note is that these books were distributed through newsstands so finding them in the kind of grades you been enjoying with US/Direct Copper books is IMHO setting yourself up with too high an expectation, and you might consider yourself extremely fortunate to find these books in 9.0/9.2 ranges. They are near impossible in 9.4 and higher.

Not sure about "keyness" - and I wouldn't limit yourself to just the first appearance of the groups, there are some fun covers throughout each series.

Warning: Not a 9.8 among them

inhum1.jpg

piratesdarkwatr1jpg.jpg

Can't find the #1 right now.

silverhawks1.jpg

Pokemon getting there in a few years when the nostalgia factor takes over.
Soooo... should I buy the cards or comics?

both but with the comics cgc 9.8 of course ;)

cover_pokemon.gif

hm So should I try and get the ORIGINAL Japanese printings (which I would think would be impossible) or stick with the American Reprints?

Well,I wonder how hard to find the original Japanese printings would be?

how do you write pokemon in japanese? find that out I guess then search Ebay bridge Japan. It would be a most challenging hunt and probally most would not be CGC`ed.