• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling Dr Banner - ASM #7 in highgrade - i think

41 posts in this topic

ok, i looked this over with a fine tooth comb and have provided even bigger/better scans than usual.

other than the slightest of roughness on the ulc of the front cover and even slighter by the upper staple , i find nothing wrong with this puppy. held in hand there are absolutely no creases, tics, nics, impact of any kind etc.

but i'll leave the critiquing to you guys.

purchased by me off-the-rack over 40 years ago at Sid's luncheonette in Orange NJ.

1076744652116_asm__7_front.jpg

1077424149068_asm__7_back.jpg

What a gem!

Based on the light spine wear you noted, and what looks to be ink cracking/flaking along the spine (hard to tell, but the spine looks to be more like "<" than "c"), I'd say 9.2. Did you ever submit any of those other beauties??

rare praise, indeed!!!!!

thanks for being the first to comment. everyone else either just looks and leaves or pm's me to see if i'm selling.

am submitting about a dozen nice Marvels for express service this week and walking through 2-3 others in sarasota in 2 weeks. i intend to repost a few after they get graded to let the participants know how things turned out.

if i can squeeze a 9.2 opinion out of you, i'm a happy camper......... grin.gif

I just got some books back via express. It only took 10 bus days round trip (inc shipping). Pretty pleased with that turn-around.

The book looks like a 9.2 to me due to the mentioned problems. However, it's one of the nicest looking copies of a 7 I've seen.

Brian

What a gem!

Based on the light spine wear you noted, and what looks to be ink cracking/flaking along the spine (hard to tell, but the spine looks to be more like "<" than "c"), I'd say 9.2. Did you ever submit any of those other beauties??

I concur. I also noticed the spine flaking and depending on how much cover loss there is, it might just bring it down to a 9.0. But maybe not.

Is there are very light corner stress line at the bottom of the left corner? Hard to tell.

A real beauty.

It definately could warrant a 9.0, this is one of those books that you really need a close up scan or have it in your hands to accurately grade it.

Brian

That's two grades (9.2 and 9.0) so far - care to try for a third guess of the grade? smirk.gif

An awesome copy, Burnt! I'm going NM- 9.2 due to the (minor) problems you cited, plus what appear to be a couple of non-color-breaking stresses along the spine.

How many original-owner books of this vintage do you have, all told? Not sure exactly how CGC anoints a new pedigree, but if you have enough books (200? 500?) that you personally purchased off the stands, along the lines of the gems you've posted lately, I think you should consider looking into having this part of your collection recognized as a pedigree.

I actually think this might get a 9.4. 9.2 is a sure bet unless there is something that doesn't show up well on the scan. I hope that 8.0 guess someone threw out was a joke, if not please sell me any and all silver age books that look like this at 8.0 prices.

i actually have about 1000 marvels and DC's that i personally purchased between late 1958 and early 1964 (how lucky was that timing??). i'm guessing about 70-75% would grade out at 8.0 and higher.

i've only had 30 graded to date, but they came back at 93% at 8.0 or higher and 73% at 9.0 and higher.

gonna submit another 40 or so this week and see what that brings.

i actually asked one of the wheels (ed jaster?)at Heritage in an e-mail a year or so ago what it would take to qualify for some sort of pedigree, but got blown off.

i've assumed you need the majority of the collection to be in the 9.0+ range before even thinking about it, so i never pursued it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thanks for the vote of confidence in this one.

once again i congratulate the skill and keeness of eye that the board members possess. there is the slightest of

creases (?) on the left edge of the cover by spidey's forearm. you can make it out in the scan about as well as you can see it in person. almost non-existent until you angle the book in the light.

oh, and i think Discount's 8.0 is his attempt at bringing down the average grade in case i decide to sell it unslabbed to him grin.gif

i stored them in a deep dresser drawer or two standing up just like they'd be in a comic box today. i bagged them for the first time in poly bags after i bought my first overstreet guide in 1976. i re-bagged them all in mylar in the very early 80's. the collection is probably 60% DC and 40% marvel - DC had a headstart............ grin.gif.