• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling Dr Banner - ASM #7 in highgrade - i think

41 posts in this topic

stored them in a deep dresser drawer or two standing up just like they'd be in a comic box today. i bagged them for the first time in poly bags after i bought my first overstreet guide in 1976. i re-bagged them all in mylar in the very early 80's. the collection is probably 60% DC and 40% marvel - DC had a headstart............

If you get them graded and plan on selling some, give us board member first crack, PLEASE. flowerred.gif

While obviously all of them are structural perfect, they have a very "fresh" quality to them (and that is something I look for in a book).

Awesome collection.

What books did you get graded the first round (since you showed us many Keys that you didn't get graded yet)?

sfilosa; my FF's # 18,19 & 21 got 9.0's. #22 got a 9.2 and # 24 got a 9.4.

ST # 114 got a 9.0 and # 115 got a 9.4.

sgt fury # 13 got a 9.0.

X-men # 6 got a 9.2.

Avengers #2 - 9.0. #3 - 9.2. #6 7.5 #7 8.5 #'s 9,10 & 11 - 9.0.

ASM #12 - 9.2. #18 - 7.0 (where did that come from?) #19 - 9.2 and #20 - 9.0.

Daredevil #3 - 9.4, #4 - 9.2 and #5 - 9.0.

JIM #'s 87, 89 & 97 - 8.5's.

TTA # 49 - 8.0 and # 60 - 9.0.

TOS #58 - 8.0 and # 59 - 9.0.

overall i was pretty pleased. admittedly, these (except for some of the super-keys which weren't submitted) were the cream-of-the-crop.) early, semi-key issues in nice shape.)

all were handled at the standard submission service and the turnaround was remarkable. (i had them back in my hands in NJ 3 weeks after i sent them in). 893applaud-thumb.gif

well this was about a year ago and they were "on-time" then. they beat the 15 business days as i actually got the comics back in-hand in 15 business days. am hoping for similar service with my expresses............ 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Did you sell any? Or are any for sale? hi.gif

Lastly, how was the page quality? The covers of your books look very nice, but sometimes you can have a white cover with Cream to Off-White pages or vice versa (yellowed book with White pages, go figure).

books came back with either off-white, off-white to white or white pages.

haven't sold a single book yet, but will be looking to sell spidey's, daredevils and x-men during 2004. (and perhaps some others............) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Burnt, I would seriously approach another, more approachable BSD or industry mucky-muck about your collection. At the very least, you could get in touch with Matt Nelson, author of probably the best article/essay about pedigree collections (he's also contributed to the OS price guide and OS grading guide, I believe).

I think the fact that you bought your books off the stand would have to count for something - hell, even Edgar Church got some of his books second-hand! And there've definitely been some pedigree collections with a fair % of low- or at least mid-grade books...

How's the page quality on most of them?

You should really talk to the guys at CGC as well - they're the final arbiters at this point, if you're talking about 'official recognition'

the thirty books that i submitted were picked for their cover quality only and i didn't even bother to look at the backs (which is why i got a 7.0 and a couple 0f 7.5's, in all likelihood).

the page quality came back with a lowest rating on a handful of off-white. many were OW_W and a decent amount were white. so i think since these were chosen by cover, the page quality result should be pretty indicative of the rest of the collection. i'll talk to CGC when i'm down there next week.

coincidentally, i'm sending some work to Matt Nelson as we speak. i have a restored all-star #3 that i'd like him to spruce up a bit more and a feature book #26 (the cover of which is hal foster's only original comic book work) that he's going to try and remove 4 small dark stains from the cover and probably clean it as well.

i know that this is restoration but since Foster was "the man" i just want to hang it in my office - have no intention of ever selling that one.

thanks for the thoughts and thanks for turning me on to the CGC board. learned about it from one of your posts on the e-bay board. there's just so much more activity here.......... 893applaud-thumb.gif

coincidentally, i'm sending some work to Matt Nelson as we speak. i have a restored all-star #3 that i'd like him to spruce up a bit more and a feature book #26 (the cover of which is hal foster's only original comic book work) that he's going to try and remove 4 small dark stains from the cover and probably clean it as well.

You should definitely discuss the pedigree prospect with Matt as well...

i know that this is restoration but since Foster was "the man" i just want to hang it in my office - have no intention of ever selling that one.

It will be interesting to see if CGC deems such cleaning to be 'resto' ... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Burnt, I would seriously approach another, more approachable BSD or industry mucky-muck about your collection. At the very least, you could get in touch with Matt Nelson, author of probably the best article/essay about pedigree collections (he's also contributed to the OS price guide and OS grading guide, I believe).

I think the fact that you bought your books off the stand would have to count for something - hell, even Edgar Church got some of his books second-hand! And there've definitely been some pedigree collections with a fair % of low- or at least mid-grade books...

How's the page quality on most of them?

You should really talk to the guys at CGC as well - they're the final arbiters at this point, if you're talking about 'official recognition'

the opinions on these ranged from a low of 8.0 (Discount again) to a few folks at 9.2 and a goodly number at 9.0. this got a 9.0 with White pages!! as it turns out, so did my ASM's # 8&9 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

i thought this was the best of that bunch but they saw them as all the same.

Burnt,

I definitely 2nd (or 3rd) you looking into a possible pedigree status for your collection. I think there is a good chance - original owner, purchase off the newstand, high grade, great page quality - it has it all. IMHO I would get some sort of feedback on the prospect of pedigree status (I agree, Matt Nelson could help) before parting with any of the books (if you are selling at all). I would love to buy some - but I think it is in your best interest to do a little more research into the collection status before selling. 1000 books in that year group may even qualify for a special section in a Heritage Auction. An example to look at is the White Rose collection which was only a couple of guys buying through CBG. Although they didn't get a "pedigree", they were highlighted at auction. I think at a minimum you would get that treatment.

Awesome books and best of luck!

Sean

It's a cheap $99 Canon flat scanner that I bought 3 years ago. 893frustrated.gif

I've been shopping around for a legal size scanner. cloud9.gif

My Canon does that too with slabs.

I have to use a digcam.

Burnt

I just drop by your topic and all i can say is that i'm amazed and thrilled to see that coll./grades of your. Indeed a fan boys dream...

And one thing, please inform better about the pedigree procedures, it hink you might have a pleasant surprise.

And i won't pm you to sell anything, right now and in the near future i won't be able to buy those beauties, but what the heck, is great to see a member woning them, specially someone who bought them from the shelfs...

One of these days you must tell us some stories about the great findings or the hard loses...it's always nice to hear a little about "living" history.

Thanks again, Pedro.