• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest cover recreation - GI Joe Renegar sketch cvr (negative version)

25 posts in this topic

No offense... but I really think you should indicate that it's a recreation ON THE PIECE.

Forging someone's signature and the way they sign their work is problematic for me without correct attribution.

No offense... but I really think you should indicate that it's a recreation ON THE PIECE.

Forging someone's signature and the way they sign their work is problematic for me without correct attribution.

Just to clarify, that IS Turner's signature on the work - it is not forged.

Also, I just spoke with Paul Litch today about this and some other sketch covers that I've been working on. He has agreed to let me submit them for Signature Series, so all of the correct info will be noted on the label.

Well, I don't want to derail your thread... but you don't see anything wrong with drawing something that Turner DIDN'T actually draw and signing his name (I mean the way he signs his artwork, not his signature per se) to it without at least putting AFTER TURNER near the signature so it's obvious? I also object to the use of his actual signature on a work that isn't his. That'd be like overpainting a minor work of Van Gogh but keeping his signature.

And if that WASN'T a Sig Series before and now it is, that opens up a WHOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS. (I'm assuming you're a witness although the impartial role of the witness is now obscured.)

Well, I don't want to derail your thread... but you don't see anything wrong with drawing something that Turner DIDN'T actually draw and signing his name (I mean the way he signs his artwork, not his signature per se) to it without at least putting AFTER TURNER near the signature so it's obvious? I also object to the use of his actual signature on a work that isn't his. That'd be like overpainting a minor work of Van Gogh but keeping his signature.

And if that WASN'T a Sig Series before and now it is, that opens up a WHOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS. (I'm assuming you're a witness although the impartial role of the witness is now obscured.)

I am sorry that you are so vehemently opposed to this. This is a commission that I did for another board member as per his instructions. In response to your post:

1) I did not sign Turner's name to this. It is his own signature.

2) The SS label will state "Michael Turner written on cover" since it was not signed in front of a witness. There is a Certificate of Authenticity that came with the book that will remain with it, however.

3) I also did not paint over any previously existing work by Turner. The rest of the cover was black aside from the Witchblade logo (see scan).

4) I am not a CGC witness, but CGC allows artists to submit work to them for SS if they clear it with them in advance.

5) As for signing it and including "after Turner", that is what I normally do on my work. However, I will have to ask the person who commissioned the work to see if he wants me to do this.

Your post seems to imply that I am attempting to defraud someone with this work. That is not the case. This is one of the reasons why it is being submitted for SS where the label will denote what I have described above. Why this work was commissioned in the manner that it was is a question that you would have to ask my client.

OPEN YOUR EYES AND LOOK AT THE POST BEFORE HAND!!! The book was previously signed by Michael Turner, but it was NOT a Signature Series book.

I think that this piece was done with the intention to HONOR MR. TURNER.

And this would not qualify the book for the signature series line. It can be submitted for grading, but only with the GREEN qualified label.

Nuff Said

and WE are?????

I don't really know exactly what you're even responding to actually. I know the actual signature was used and the artwork was lightboxed around the signature. There are actually two Michael Turner signatures on there. One is his handwritten signature. The other is his artist's mark.

I don't know if it's the scan or not, but I hope that Michael Turner's name is not misspelled INSIDE his artist's mark. (shrug)

I commissioned this particular cover from Patrick, the cover was bought with the signature already on it, and this is the exact way I wanted the book to look like, the "Patrick Tuller after Michael Turner" will be in the back cover, that is what I requested, This slab will not ever be sold, it's for my own enjoyment. Even if it gets the SS label it will take a big hit because of the unwitnessed signature but, I DON"T CARE, this is only for me and for me only, I only told Patrick to show it, to show that he's got mad-mad skills with the inks, he will be doing Black ink on a white cover soon, no signature this time...he never forged a darn thing, it was a Black cover recreation, the next one will be a white cover recreation.

For the record...Pat..you the man!!!

I am sorry that you are so vehemently opposed to this. This is a commission that I did for another board member as per his instructions. In response to your post:

1) I did not sign Turner's name to this. It is his own signature.

2) The SS label will state "Michael Turner written on cover" since it was not signed in front of a witness. There is a Certificate of Authenticity that came with the book that will remain with it, however.

3) I also did not paint over any previously existing work by Turner. The rest of the cover was black aside from the Witchblade logo (see scan).

4) I am not a CGC witness, but CGC allows artists to submit work to them for SS if they clear it with them in advance.

5) As for signing it and including "after Turner", that is what I normally do on my work. However, I will have to ask the person who commissioned the work to see if he wants me to do this.

Your post seems to imply that I am attempting to defraud someone with this work. That is not the case. This is one of the reasons why it is being submitted for SS where the label will denote what I have described above. Why this work was commissioned in the manner that it was is a question that you would have to ask my client.

First off, the cover recreation is great, and looks fantastic. To Sckao's point, I think he was trying to say that without some notes on the label (when slabbed), or without a clear explanation if kept raw, future owners could believe that all of the work was done by Turner. Everyone who reads this thread will know that's not the case, but circumstances may change, and the book may end up being resold.

The CGC label notes still leave it unclear whether Turner did the artwork or not, since it only addresses the signature. Would you get credit on the CGC label for the artwork? I think you should, not only because it's your work and great, but also to alleviate potential misunderstandings.