• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on packaging 42lbs of comics for shipping.

48 posts in this topic

I used to get long boxes shipped from California to Oklahoma all the time via FedEX Ground and they always got to me in excellent condition.

That's the route I would go and use their boxes as they are super sturdy. Chances are they won't kick your parcel around like they would at the post office.

Long boxes can break due to their length/weight ratio—not to mention that they are heavy and more likely to be abused if the person carrying it is tired (or ticked off). I had about 100 comics shipped to be recently (VF+ copper) and everything was bagged individually with perhaps 20% boarded as well. They were put in a short box in the typical fashion with 2-3” of crumpled newspaper padding each end, and an extra layer of cardboard all around (to resist puncture). When taped shut, the box was easy to lift with the hand holes and it arrived without any apparent shipping damage—and that is saying something for my Post Office. Of course, shipping this way would require two boxes. Food for thought anyway.

I had literally hundreds of long boxes shipped to me from Cali, I never had an issue with one of them being damaged. Insured with FedEX ground, hand holes uncovered, but otherwise the lid taped completely to the box.

Again all boxes were insured for my purchase price and I never had a problem getting them.

Looks like I might not have to go through with it after all. I just got two more offers on the bulk of this stuff from people with deeper pockets who I'm sure wouldn't mind getting them in multiple boxes of 60 comics or so. The reason I was so willing to let this guy lowball me down to my cost is because the stuff he picked was stuff I thought I was going to be stuck with and didn't have any interest in reading, but I guess the Cable ongoing series is more popular than I thought.

1) In the few long-box deals I have been involved in, I paid a little more for the comics because I wanted the backing boards/bags...

2) Fed Ex cost me dearly w/ Silver Surfer # 1 CGC 9.0 & TOS 39 CGC 3.5 both Sig Series... Fed Ex would not re-imburse the damage that was incurred from Desert Wind Comics Stan Lee show back in 2008. I fought them as many have seen CAL do battle but I lost the battle because I did not want to waste more time for a few hundred bucks: re-grading/re-holdering/Insurance both ways...

CAL

I was just thinking of the topics earlier since I've picked up TOO much reading material within the last month that I know I won't reread and will like to sell in bulk (50/100+ comics) at a time just to clear some space.

I was just thinking Media Mail or Parcel Post. Anyone ship like 40+lbs of comics via Parcel Post? Was just gonna put them in a long box, plastic wrap the box and duct tape that package to kingdom come.