• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

if I can figure out how to get an advance loan of the future value to buy one of those thingy to freeze myself when I am dead. This way, when the book is worth 7 figures, my great great great grand kids and wake me up to see the book getting bid for 7 figures.

if I can figure out how to get an advance loan of the future value to buy one of those thingy to freeze myself when I am dead. This way, when the book is worth 7 figures, my great great great grand kids and wake me up to see the book getting bid for 7 figures.

hm

That book is sick! What a beauty! I think I am going to have to settle for a low grade restored, times are tough, thinking of moving so need to watch the comic funds.

Low grades nice eye appeal X-men 1 sells quickly if priced right. Buying a low grade at the right price, you will do just fine in the long run.

hm

hm

Color wise that is a tremendous copy. If not for the lower right and upper left corners it might have gotten a 9.6. To me, this is the one. You can have your AF15, I'll take this book everyday.
:applause:

May the ghosts of Gwen, Cap'n Stacey, Aunt May, and Uncle Ben haunt you 4-ever !

May the iron-clad tentacles of Doc Ock NEVER let you free !

May the Scorpion's sting never heal upon you !

May the P-bombs of the GG explode while you're reading X1s !!

Finally, take this !! (one for each below).

:makepoint::makepoint:

I'm a DC guy. :headbang: The Marvel Universe is just make beleive. :slapfight: I'm not scared of your voodoo. My voodoo is stronger.

Color wise that is a tremendous copy. If not for the lower right and upper left corners it might have gotten a 9.6. To me, this is the one. You can have your AF15, I'll take this book everyday.
:applause:

May the ghosts of Gwen, Cap'n Stacey, Aunt May, and Uncle Ben haunt you 4-ever !

May the iron-clad tentacles of Doc Ock NEVER let you free !

May the Scorpion's sting never heal upon you !

May the P-bombs of the GG explode while you're reading X1s !!

Finally, take this !! (one for each below).

:makepoint::makepoint:

I'm a DC guy. :headbang: The Marvel Universe is just make beleive. :slapfight: I'm not scared of your voodoo. My voodoo is stronger.

Funny posts.

:signfunny:

lol

That book is sick! What a beauty! I think I am going to have to settle for a low grade restored, times are tough, thinking of moving so need to watch the comic funds.

That's what I did for my X-men run. I love it too!

If you compare the Superman/Batman mainstream media logic someday eventually

X-men #1 will the number 2 most valuable Marvel silver age book behind

AF #15

any thoughts?

hm

If you compare the Superman/Batman mainstream media logic someday eventually

X-men #1 will the number 2 most valuable Marvel silver age book behind

AF #15

any thoughts?

I'm missing the DC equivalent of Fantastic Four in this comparison. I can't think of any title that used to be more popular than Batman that it eventually passed, which would have to be the case for it to be comparable to Spidey/FF/X-Men.

Having said that, about a decade ago when the first X-Men film came out, I used to think just like you are now. I used to collect X-Men before I ever collected Spidey and FF, it was the first run I ever completed. What I was missing in my thinking is that the original X-Men series wasn't terribly appealling, which is why they eventually cancelled it in the early 1970s. You can't totally hitch the popularity of the new X-Men from the late 1970s and beyond to X-Men #1 from 1963...many collectors don't even buy below X-Men #94. And it's impossible to use the lower market prices on GS X-Men #1 or X-Men #94 as any comparative measure of popularity with the earlier X-Men #1 and think that #1 is far more popular than GS1 or 94 given the comparatively HUGE populations on those mid-Bronze books.

If there were as few copies of GS X-Men #1 and X-Men #94 as there are of X-Men #1, then GS1 and 94 would greatly exceed the price of #1, and if that were true, then yes, GS1 and 94 would likely be second behind AF15 and Spidey 1.

But the value of books today is based on a few things with the story being the least important.

1. Relevance of the character today. (which establishes demand)

2. Importance of it being a key. (First appearance etc...)

3. Cover

4. Supply in high grade (which establishes supply)

5. Creative crew

6. Story

Few free to add. This is just my 2 cents. XM 1 does pretty well on the first five and I think over time will catch FF1 and Hulk 1 in value. Remember prices today are set by fanboys of the series. Prices in 20 years will be set by the fanboys of that time. So who will be more relevant or popular in 20 years.

But the value of books today is based on a few things with the story being the least important.

1. Relevance of the character today. (which establishes demand)

2. Importance of it being a key. (First appearance etc...)

3. Cover

4. Supply in high grade (which establishes supply)

5. Creative crew

6. Story

If you rank the big four using these criteria:

1. AF15, X-Men (but ONLY due to the strength of the title due to the new X-Men, the concept of mutants, and the strength of Magneto and Professor X as characters, the actual original team members aren't highly relevant today), Fantastic Four, Hulk

2. AF15, Fantastic Four, Hulk, X-Men

3. (not going to rank the key covers, too subjective, people tend to pick their favorite title or character instead of objectively comparing the artwork)

4. Hulk, Fantastic Four, AF15, X-Men

5. (err...they're all Stan Lee and Kirby/Ditko)

6. AF15, Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men (I'm ranking the origins here--Spidey is most iconic, the gamma accident is popular, "cosmic rays" is a bit hokey as are the powers that Stan mostly ripped off from past DC and Timely characters, and being born with powers is the easiest cop-out origin possible, Stan admitted as much, which is why he went further in developing mutant relationship to society in casting Xavier as Martin Luther King and Magneto as Malcolm X, which turned out to appeal to very few comic readers).

If you mix GSX1 into that list, the X-Men are directly trailing AF15, but it's too readily available to approach the Silver keys in price. Had Marvel not lucked out with the new X-Men, then X-Men #1 would be by far the least of the Marvel keys trailing Daredevil, as the early characters and stories weren't popular, which is why the X-Men has the dubious distinction of being Stan Lee's only major title that eventually got cancelled.

here is one sharp looking 8.5, might be the best looking 8.5 out of the 3 they are in the sale area. I think both the other books should have taken the offers over $14k and run but what do i know.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=839412

here is one sharp looking 8.5, might be the best looking 8.5 out of the 3 they are in the sale area. I think both the other books should have taken the offers over $14k and run but what do i know.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=839412

wow!!!

updated

9.4 ow - 11/09 Mound Auction - $106,050

9.4 ow/w - 2/10 CL auction - $101,002

9.4 - 5/10 CL auction - ?

9.2 - Pedigree - $55,000 (1/10)

9.2 - 2/10 CL auction - $47,177

9.0 ow - 3/10 CL sale - $27,950

9.0 ow, date stamp on cover - 1/10 CL auction - $22,507 (1/10)

9.0 cr/ow - CL sale - $22,000 (1/10)

8.5 ow - 1/10 CL auction - $12,575 (1/10) mine, going to a good home I hope. It has been with me since 2003 but it is time to let it go.

8.5 ow - 9/09 CL auction - $12,053

8.5 ow/w - 2/10 Qualitycomix auction - $11,350

8.5 - 2/10 CL auction - $14,350

8.0 - 2/10 CL auction - $9,955

8.0 - 3/10 CL auction ?

6.0 ow/w - 2/10 CL auction - $3,333

6.0 ow/w - 2/10 private board sale - $3100

5.5 ow - 8/09 CL sale - $2500

5.5 cr.ow - 8/09 CL sale - $2625

5.0 ow - 12/09 CL sale - $2000

4.0 - 1/10 CL auction - $1,300

3.0 - 2/10 CL auction - $901