• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, spreads said:

I find these type of arguments are always a battle with wives.....I had to convince my better half to get internet at the cottage, and now it's completely booked solid for the winter - which will pay all the taxes and utilities for the year.   Same thing with comics, first thing is - why don't you sell it.  Well, I'm not selling my X-Men 1 because it goes up in value every year.  And I don't want to and you can't make me!  xD

My wife is way too easy on me when it comes to comics. When it comes to buying big books I run it past her and she always says the same thing. "I trust you" 

It's the worst! Lol. It puts all the pressure on me to be responsible. 

I do try not to think about comics as part of my investment portfolio. The advantage is, it forces you to be disciplined with saving and comics are the surplus.  

But as the value of comics continues to go up it's hard not to look at them as a % of your overall assets. 

On 11/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, drbanner said:
On 11/24/2020 at 2:49 PM, comicdonna said:

Most all of the books with CVA stickers are nicer than the given grade therefore, sell for a premium.  The sticker means nothing.   It's all about the book.  They would sell for a premium without the sticker.  

Exactly. 

Not everyone knows how to grade so the sticker is meant to attract those people.

3 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

No I have a mid grade only (I enjoy following the SA key values in 9.2 or higher it's just a thing that I have fun with). My expensive stuff is all TEC GA books. I have always enjoyed the series and have felt it has been a underdog for a long time and like seen it get the value it deserves. I also feel Hulk 1 is falling behind but all things come in cycles. Another book I feel that is way to cheap is SC22. BB28 is also a good buy at the moment it's the cheapest it has been in a long while.

Agreed.  I picked up a SC22 5.0 and a BB28 6.0 this year.  Kinda hoping it’s buy low sell high.  But then again I haven’t had much luck with DC keys, they hardly move anywhere compared to Marvel which is simply nuclear in comparison.  Case in point, I’ve got 6 copies of Action 252.  I believe there has to be a Supergirl movie in the upcoming future at one point or the other.  But at this point it’s just dead money just sitting there which I could have put towards Marvel keys that appreciate weekly. 

On 12/26/2020 at 7:06 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Another book I feel that is way to cheap is SC22. BB28 is also a good buy at the moment it's the cheapest it has been in a long while.

As an owner of SC #22 and a BB #28, both in CGC 4.5, I am forlorn about this. Current value of SC 22 is about $300 over what I paid for it. Current value of BB28 is about $300 less that what I paid for it. So, I guess this is just a wash.

Edited by Math Teacher

The time is coming again to put $$$ back to work on DC keys. Then again, the Batman SA keys have been running nicely the past year and a half. I am glad most collectors were not paying attention - it has made acquiring them at cheap prices much easier than the X-Men I have been chasing. lol 

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

The time is coming again to put $$$ back to work on DC keys. Then again, the Batman SA keys have been running nicely the past year and a half. I am glad most collectors were not paying attention - it has made acquiring them at cheap prices much easier than the X-Men I have been chasing. lol 

Dreamer...

Just now, kimik said:

The part about buying DC keys? It will hit the point to do so again since all the Marvel keys have jumped. The cycle continues to go on just like it has the past 20+ years with online selling.

Perhaps you’ll be right this time? I’ve put money in DC keys before and been disappointed with the returns. 

Admittedly, I didn’t buy a Showcase 4. Maybe once I get a few more Marvel keys, I’ll pickup a BB28.

2 minutes ago, piper said:

Perhaps you’ll be right this time? I’ve put money in DC keys before and been disappointed with the returns. 

Admittedly, I didn’t buy a Showcase 4. Maybe once I get a few more Marvel keys, I’ll pickup a BB28.

You made $$$ on the DC keys I have sold you in the past........