• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-MEN #1 club
27 27

3,535 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, speedcake said:

eesh.  Well I've sold a bunch of stuff and have about a 5k budget now for an X-Men 1, but starting to doubt whether I should actually do it. I'd like a 2.0 or 2.5, and think its now or never. Someone tell me to just do it and that it'll be fine  :roflmao:   Finding one is somehow turning into the hard part, go figure.

Here is my cautionary tale. 

I waited a long long time to get a TOS39. I had several local opportunities and just kept thinking the price was to high or I didn't want to pull the trigger. Most regrettably,  a good friend offered me a 4.5 for $3500 years ago and I didn't pull the trigger (10 or so years ago). 

Look, anything could happen and no one can predict the market, but the shots I didn't take are the ones that bother me the most. 

8 hours ago, speedcake said:

eesh.  Well I've sold a bunch of stuff and have about a 5k budget now for an X-Men 1, but starting to doubt whether I should actually do it. I'd like a 2.0 or 2.5, and think its now or never. Someone tell me to just do it and that it'll be fine  :roflmao:   Finding one is somehow turning into the hard part, go figure.

been there so many times! if it were me, i'd raise about 2-3k more (if possible) and go for a bit higher grade, as its super tough to find a nice looking 2.0 but 3.5 or 4.0 is where many copies start to look pretty good, imho. as you know, keys do sometimes come down a bit after these peaks, though it's rarely more than ten or fifteen per cent. but you may be ok waiting, unless theres an mcu movie announcement!

1 minute ago, www.alexgross.com said:

been there so many times! if it were me, i'd raise about 2-3k more (if possible) and go for a bit higher grade, as its super tough to find a nice looking 2.0 but 3.5 or 4.0 is where many copies start to look pretty good, imho. as you know, keys do sometimes come down a bit after these peaks, though it's rarely more than ten or fifteen per cent. but you may be ok waiting, unless theres an mcu movie announcement!

there is a pretty 3.5 for sale on the boards right now. $7k asking I think. 

X-Men 1 was a very under-rated key for a long, long time.....funny local story, a guy I know has a beauty 6.0!  A couple years back I tried to workout a cash and trade deal, last I heard he still has it.  Several years back he offered it locally (on the can. craigslist Kijiji) for 2k CAD - which was a bargain to the going rate (I think going rate was around $2500).  He had so many low ball offers, even some cheap that offered him $1900, so he declined them all and kept it -  sometimes the best decision you make, is not pulling the trigger on a deal!

On 11/10/2020 at 1:25 AM, speedcake said:

DO IT 

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

For a low grade book like this that has a blue label even though it's 99.9% certain that's a genuine Stan Lee signature, do you find that the book gets a bump in collector interest / market value despite the fact it doesn't have the yellow label?

It’s 100% Stan Lee signature but I didn’t have Cgc witness it. It was a chance signature. 
last nice 2.5 sold 5500, so I listed this one at 5750 on ig and already have 3 potential buyers (including speed cake). So not sure if the 250 premium is for Lee sig or not 

just an update, had 4 buyers for the book...xmen 1 is scorching hot!...but speedcake was first to inquire, so to the victor go the spoils

Edited by G.A.tor

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

It’s 100% Stan Lee signature but I didn’t have Cgc witness it. It was a chance signature. 
last nice 2.5 sold 5500, so I listed this one at 5750 on ig and already have 3 potential buyers (including speed cake). So not sure if the 250 premium is for Lee sig or not 

just an update, had 4 buyers for the book...xmen 1 is scorching hot!...but speedcake was first to inquire, so to the victor go the spoils

is there a story on that sig? did you get him to sign it yourself?

34 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

is there a story on that sig? did you get him to sign it yourself?

No special story. Stan signed it ...kept raw for a while then decided to grade it in 2019 iirc