• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRITTLE and SLIGHTLY BRITTLE pages - what's your opinion?

96 posts in this topic

I would NEVER under ANY circumstance buy a book with anything less than cream to off-white (and I would try to avoid the cream if possible) unless it was WAY under the good price so I could flip it to someone else. I had a book with brittle pages, maybe you could argue slightly brittle. Came back from CGC as light tan to off-white. There were paper flakes in the bottom of the CGC case! I could care less about looking at the pretty cover through the CGC case. If that is all I care about, I will get a high res scan and print it out.

i don't know what you collect; but if the line of books in your sig line is representative, i'd agree that you would want to avoid "cream" in the description. my remarks have all been directed to g.a. books.

I would NEVER under ANY circumstance buy a book with anything less than cream to off-white (and I would try to avoid the cream if possible) unless it was WAY under the good price so I could flip it to someone else. I had a book with brittle pages, maybe you could argue slightly brittle. Came back from CGC as light tan to off-white. There were paper flakes in the bottom of the CGC case! I could care less about looking at the pretty cover through the CGC case. If that is all I care about, I will get a high res scan and print it out.

Haha I love your last sentence! lol.

I agree with you somewhat. If there are flakes in the case that is a full no go for me. But if it just says slightly brittle and it looks nice and doesnt have any flakes then I can sometimes go for one. Brittle I am always very careful about though.

i don't know what you collect; but if the line of books in your sig line is representative, i'd agree that you would want to avoid "cream" in the description. my remarks have all been directed to g.a. books.

Ha Ha,

You are funny Billy lol

I've bought books with brittle and/or slightly brittle pages, but my stance has hardened over the years. I once had a Batman #1 with slightly brittle pages. I sent the book to Matt who restored it and lightened and strengthened the pages. When the book came back the pages were snow white. But I always felt like it was a ruse. That they were not as supple as the looked. The book worried me and I finally sold it.

I'd just as soon not have any in my collection if I can avoid it. In fact, these days I seek out OW or better pages. CR/OWs make their way in, but they make up a small percentage of the total

What I dont like about brittle pages in a slab is when the brittle parts start flaking off into the slab. There cant be a bigger turn off than that.The slab becomes a flake collector.Admittingly this is severe brittle pages.

once ciorac forgot we were having ponscon at his house, walked out of the shower thinking he was alone. you are very wrong in your statement.

Slightly brittle ,I can deal with . Brittle . I don;t like in my collection. Do I have any? , yes, have to be very careful handling those books. Was looking through a golden age book one day the cover completely seperated on me ,front and back. :sick:

What I dont like about brittle pages in a slab is when the brittle parts start flaking off into the slab. There cant be a bigger turn off than that.The slab becomes a flake collector.Admittingly this is severe brittle pages.

once ciorac forgot we were having ponscon at his house, walked out of the shower thinking he was alone. you are very wrong in your statement.

So I'm confused..was Bill brittle or something?

Slightly brittle ,I can deal with . Brittle . I don;t like in my collection. Do I have any? , yes, have to be very careful handling those books. Was looking through a golden age book one day the cover completely seperated on me ,front and back. :sick:

I think this goes along with what Rick said. The designation of Brittle, or Slightly brittle does not bother me as much as where the book is brittle. Sure some brittle interiors are simply that...brittle throughout, the paper is past gonzo. But many times you can have quite supple pages but the hinge line on the spine is complete toast and ready to chip up and split if you mishandle it even slightly.

Other times the spine is fine but you can have a million chips fall off from toasty outer edges. And others only the outerwraps are.

If I had to pick, I dont mind toasty edges as much as a brittle spine if that makes sense.

Case in point, a SW 1 that was the wrong kind of brittle. :eek:

spineinteriorcose1-1.jpg

But the pages are otherwise fairly nice, not overly chippy, or dried out like the spine was.

Superworldintfoldedbend-1.jpg

I have since fixed the cover but have yet to tackle the interior. :ohnoez:

i think CGC can perhaps be more specific on the label somehow on the "extent" of brittleness the book has. I had a Tec 8 that was PLOD cr/ow, had a few tear seals on 2 pages removed, but it left that part slightly brittle somehow. The book's pages were 99% cr/ow but got downgraded to Blue 1.5 sl brittle. I cracked it out and enjoyed it as it was not slightly brittle in my opinion to put on the label :P

Here's my slight brittle book.

Fantastic looking copy that I'm proud to have. The price was great too probably because of the page quality.

GhostComics8.jpg

i am with you. very pretty, and i'd own it in a heartbeat.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of hit CGC gives for page quality but the book looks like a solid 8.0 from outside looking in. The colors are just as great as the Heritage scan shows. I am proud to have it!

Here's my slight brittle book.

Fantastic looking copy that I'm proud to have. The price was great too probably because of the page quality.

GhostComics8.jpg

It's always so odd and also fun too look at mid to high grade books with brittle pages! A spectacle. It looks great though and the 6.0 is very nice!