• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRITTLE and SLIGHTLY BRITTLE pages - what's your opinion?

96 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

thought I would start this thread and get a discussion going.

How do you feel about cgc books with brittle or slightly brittle pages quality even if they are graded higher?

I have had many slightly brittle and even straight brittle cgc books over the years and have never had a problem with them. But I choose them carefully. So It does not really matter to me. But I have seen some brittle for sale before that have pieces loose in the cgc case - that is a simple no go for me.

Give me your thoughts!

I shy away from books with brittle pages.While I love my comics dearly and would never think about selling them(especially my Pre-Robin Tecs) if I was forced too, having this page quality on a book would detract from from it's sales potential 2c . I have seen many occasions that books with brittle PQ sit on sales sites forever and continue to be discounted till sold.

Now if we are talking about a rare book that I may never be able to own in higher grade and can get a steep discount I might be enticed to purchase it as a filler if ever I was able to afford a higher grade copy.

I will say this, collecting is as personal as you can get. People laugh or make fun at others for what they collect. I always shook my head at this type of thinking. who cares if someone collects Archies, Superman or TMNTs. What we all share is the love comic collecting brings us weath.er it's a 1$ book or 5k book. Buy a book that makes you appreciate the art and storytelling

I will say this, collecting is as personal as you can get.

While I appreciate rare books and especially books that are impossible to get in just about any grade, what appeals to me are books that look and feel like they are as close to new as possible. Brittle paged comics just don't fit that criteria for me. Heck, tan pages bum me out.

But for those who love to complete runs there are some beautiful books out there with slightly brittle or brittle pages that look great and aren't going to be falling apart any time soon.

my thoughts on the subject have evolved...with more education and understanding, I no long completely shun books with SB or B pages... I have learned that an other wise ow paged book might have a brittle corner (maybe exposed to sun under a stack of books, or whatever)... cgc designates that book as "brittle" when indeed, it might be 98% ow, and only have one brittle corner that likely won't ever get worse...

same with slightly brittle...could be one wrap that is split, and cgc will designate slightly brittle...

so, I really need to "know" the book (and seeing it raw is the best way)

one of my biggest regrets was not going after that Action 1 cgc 1.8 with brittle pages a few years ago... yes, the designation was "brittle", but was the entire page brittle, or just the extremeties... lots to consider

While I have no direct experience, it has been suggested that the "slightly brittle" designation may at times more opinion than fact, and at the very least it could refer to only a small portion of the page ( I've certainly seen raw books that seem to have a somewhat brittle corner while the rest of the book is supple.)

I'd have to admit that even the "slightly brittle" designation can be off-putting as it is hard to tell through the slab exactly how brittle the pages really are. I would stay away from "brittle" pages, as they geenrally indicate a pretty fragile state. At some point brittle becomes on e step away from turning to dust). I remember seeing a copy of Wings #1 at a con years ago that looked pretty chipped up for only $10. The seller was only half joking when he said that he wouldn't take it out of the mylar for fear it would fall apart completely. The low price indicated he was selling a representation of the comic more than an actual copy that could be read (pretty much the definition of any book that remains in the slab today).

With many harder to find books - if the price is low enough, poor page quality can often become acceptable.

I will say this, collecting is as personal as you can get.

While I appreciate rare books and especially books that are impossible to get in just about any grade, what appeals to me are books that look and feel like they are as close to new as possible. Brittle paged comics just don't fit that criteria for me. Heck, tan pages bum me out.

But for those who love to complete runs there are some beautiful books out there with slightly brittle or brittle pages that look great and aren't going to be falling apart any time soon.

that sentiment used to have alot of appeal and validity. if we're talking certified, and you don't crack slabs, however, it is an obsolete point of view. i, too, prefer no worse than c/ow in a g.a. book, but have 3 l. tan/ow's, and 3 either slightly or fully "brittle." for the latter, in each case the book is tough, or was selling for peanuts. i can't stress, for example, how little i care that the book below is in that category. in fact, in light of how cheap this 9.0'ish looking VERY rare book cost, i'm probably happy for the pq.

PunchComics19.jpg

While I have no direct experience, it has been suggested that the "slightly brittle" designation may at times more opinion than fact, and at the very least it could refer to only a small portion of the page ( I've certainly seen raw books that seem to have a somewhat brittle corner while the rest of the book is supple.)

I'd have to admit that even the "slightly brittle" designation can be off-putting as it is hard to tell through the slab exactly how brittle the pages really are. I would stay away from "brittle" pages, as they geenrally indicate a pretty fragile state. At some point brittle becomes on e step away from turning to dust). I remember seeing a copy of Wings #1 at a con years ago that looked pretty chipped up for only $10. The seller was only half joking when he said that he wouldn't take it out of the mylar for fear it would fall apart completely. The low price indicated he was selling a representation of the comic more than an actual copy that could be read (pretty much the definition of any book that remains in the slab today).

With many harder to find books - if the price is low enough, poor page quality can often become acceptable.

absolutely. while i don't hold myself out as an expert, merely experienced, a few of my geeks ARE expert, and would surely cut muster as a cgc grader. we've had more than a few of the books from the geek "family" come back s. brittle, with the overwhelming consensus of opinion calling b.s. on it.

long before i collected the planet "rivet" logo run, this one was selling for less than 50 bucks in a sunday h'tage auction; hell, i figured the slabbing cost most of that. looked better than 7.0, crushed in grade due to the pages. i simply liked the cover, especially the atypical colors, and grabbed it. again, i just don't care much about the pq inside that slab. sure looks purty, tho'.

planet63.jpg

long before i collected the planet "rivet" logo run, this one was selling for less than 50 bucks in a sunday h'tage auction; hell, i figured the slabbing cost most of that. looked better than 7.0, crushed in grade due to the pages. i simply liked the cover, especially the atypical colors, and grabbed it. again, i just don't care much about the pq inside that slab. sure looks purty, tho'.

planet63.jpg

Exactly, I hate hearing that having a low pq on a comics lowers its value. The fact is when it was being cgc graded the pq did effect the grade. So when you see a brittle comic cgc 3.0 it would have been higher graded if the pq was higher. So it is worth every penny that any other 3.0 is (and to me possibly higher because it looks better than other 3.0's)

planet63.jpg

Exactly, I hate hearing that having a low pq on a comics lowers its value. The fact is when it was being cgc graded the pq did effect the grade. So when you see a brittle comic cgc 3.0 it would have been higher graded if the pq was higher. So it is worth every penny that any other 3.0 is (and to me possibly higher because it looks better than other 3.0's)

Not saying it is the case here, as the book is in a holder, but what if upon cracking this book out of the slab you realize that the 3.0 grade is because the pages are brittle to the point that corners have chipped off of multiple pages and corners? And each addition reading would result in additional loss of paper. I understand that the book is slabbed, inexpensive, and pretty to look at through the holder.

planet63.jpg

here's a "regular" [regular as in not being downgraded for pq--i am assuming "pink" on those later fox books doesn't get a book docked] cgc 3.0. actually looks pretty good for g-vg. but, again assuming they're staying in their slabs, which is the case as long as i own them, i MUCH, MUCH prefer the planet. to each his own.

jojo17.jpg

planet63.jpg

here's a "regular" [regular as in not being downgraded for pq--i am assuming "pink" on those later fox books doesn't get a book docked] cgc 3.0. actually looks pretty good for g-vg. but, again assuming they're staying in their slabs, which is the case as long as i own them, i MUCH, MUCH prefer the planet. to each his own.

jojo17.jpg

Can someone explain the "PINK PAGES" too me. I believe I've only ever seen it on Fox books. What is it all about ?

I'd take brittle pages as long as you can flip through the book and it doesn't fall apart in your hands :)

planet63.jpg

jojo17.jpg

Can someone explain the "PINK PAGES" too me. I believe I've only ever seen it on Fox books. What is it all about ?

I'd take brittle pages as long as you can flip through the book and it doesn't fall apart in your hands :)

In an effort to cut costs, it looks like Victor Fox used rolls of pink paper. I'm sure much cheaper than white. That's the way they were originally sold. I've seen labels "cream to pink pages". lol

planet63.jpg

jojo17.jpg

In an effort to cut costs, it looks like Victor Fox used rolls of pink paper. I'm sure much cheaper than white. That's the way they were originally sold. I've seen labels "cream to pink pages". lol

Very interesting! And good to know! I always wondered what the heck made pages pink - always figured it was something else not caused by aging!

I would NEVER under ANY circumstance buy a book with anything less than cream to off-white (and I would try to avoid the cream if possible) unless it was WAY under the good price so I could flip it to someone else. I had a book with brittle pages, maybe you could argue slightly brittle. Came back from CGC as light tan to off-white. There were paper flakes in the bottom of the CGC case! I could care less about looking at the pretty cover through the CGC case. If that is all I care about, I will get a high res scan and print it out.