• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BRITTLE and SLIGHTLY BRITTLE pages - what's your opinion?

96 posts in this topic

When it comes to page quality I'm definitely old school. No slightly brittle or brittle pages for me. And if I'm selling books of this quality, I always discount them.
:applause:

When it comes to page quality I'm definitely old school. No slightly brittle or brittle pages for me. And if I'm selling books of this quality, I always discount them.

I'm with Gary on this one, I avoid anything LT/OW, LT, SB, or B. I have some Crippen Spirit sections where tanning is present on the edges and I hate it. I upgrade those particular sections when I can. Guess I became biased after that and avoid any page quality less than C/OW or Cream. The only exception would be a once in a lifetime buy like an Action 1 or Tec 27. Since I probably wouldn't be able to afford another copy, I'd settle for LT or SB pages.

again, one must consider that the cgc label notation does not always "tell the tale"...

take my action 12 for example... on the extremety, it is a bit darker but still 100% supple... passed the flick test multiple times (cgc called lt tan to ow, which is technically correct) but the rest of the book is a nice ow supple... it is like just the edge was a little exposed somewhere in its life...

now, this book is KILLER!!!! even with the light tan to ow pq.... so, it really has to depend on the book and the "where and what" IMO

I doubt I would ever touch a book with brittle pages. I have yet to see something considered slightly brittle but I doubt I would touch that as well.

I am of the opinion that I would rather pay the extra cash for page quality.

Paper will degrade over time and I don't want to take the chance that something will fall apart while I own it.

Yes I understand that in a CGC slab and with care this isn't likely to happen.

I also like to read and flip through my comics even the expensive golden age stuff.

If the day comes when I buy and Action #1 or Tec #27 you can bet your butt that I will page through the book before I buy it, no matter the grade.

James G

I'm with Pons on this one, being a Timely collector OW is the minimum I'll accept for my collection. I've missed out on many a great book because of my insane OCD I set for myself. If you ever listen to Verzyl talk about why he loves his Church books, you'll feel guilty for buying anything less than white pages :sorry:

Jim

My collecting habits have evolved, while I was happy to have a variety of PQ before, I now want at least crm/ow pages, brittle and slightly brittle won't even be on my radar, no matter how nice the book and the discount.

The above opinion will not count if an Action 1 or a Tec 27 is involved.

my thoughts on the subject have evolved...with more education and understanding, I no long completely shun books with SB or B pages... I have learned that an other wise ow paged book might have a brittle corner (maybe exposed to sun under a stack of books, or whatever)... cgc designates that book as "brittle" when indeed, it might be 98% ow, and only have one brittle corner that likely won't ever get worse...

same with slightly brittle...could be one wrap that is split, and cgc will designate slightly brittle...

so, I really need to "know" the book (and seeing it raw is the best way)

one of my biggest regrets was not going after that Action 1 cgc 1.8 with brittle pages a few years ago... yes, the designation was "brittle", but was the entire page brittle, or just the extremeties... lots to consider

I agree with this post. You (and this excludes guys like Bedrock who have seen tons and tons of books) just can't draw a blanket statement about all books because of a PQ designation. Until you start either submitting your own books (and seeing what they looked like inside before they were slabbed) or crack your slabbed books out to flip through them, you really won't know how a brittle, tan or slightly brittle book looks inside.

There are some books that are simply not available without either brittle pages or slightly brittle pages, and you then have to make a decsion: Are you ok with never owning that book?

MPFW #1 anybody? There's about 10 copies, and all except for the Pay copy were brittle.

I'd personally rather own a copy with brittle pages (or a restored one where the pages were conserved) than never own a copy of one of the coolest books of all time.

I think parker was refering to "slight" when he was talking about ciorac :blush:

I am quite thin, which is commonly referred to as "slight". You on the other hand muffin top.......

Tan or not tan?

I think parker was refering to "slight" when he was talking about ciorac :blush:

I am quite thin, which is commonly referred to as "slight". You on the other hand muffin top.......

Tan or not tan?

definitely NOT tan; despite living a few mins from the gulf, he is as mighty-whitey as they come. wears a shirt at the beach.

my thoughts on the subject have evolved...with more education and understanding, I no long completely shun books with SB or B pages... I have learned that an other wise ow paged book might have a brittle corner (maybe exposed to sun under a stack of books, or whatever)... cgc designates that book as "brittle" when indeed, it might be 98% ow, and only have one brittle corner that likely won't ever get worse...

same with slightly brittle...could be one wrap that is split, and cgc will designate slightly brittle...

so, I really need to "know" the book (and seeing it raw is the best way)

one of my biggest regrets was not going after that Action 1 cgc 1.8 with brittle pages a few years ago... yes, the designation was "brittle", but was the entire page brittle, or just the extremeties... lots to consider

I agree with this post. You (and this excludes guys like Bedrock who have seen tons and tons of books) just can't draw a blanket statement about all books because of a PQ designation. Until you start either submitting your own books (and seeing what they looked like inside before they were slabbed) or crack your slabbed books out to flip through them, you really won't know how a brittle, tan or slightly brittle book looks inside.

There are some books that are simply not available without either brittle pages or slightly brittle pages, and you then have to make a decsion: Are you ok with never owning that book?

MPFW #1 anybody? There's about 10 copies, and all except for the Pay copy were brittle.

I'd personally rather own a copy with brittle pages (or a restored one where the pages were conserved) than never own a copy of one of the coolest books of all time.

i won't deal in absolutes on the issue. have a few s. brittle/brittle books, and will be bidding on one mon in the c'link auction. won't be bidding very high, mind you.

I'm with Roy on this one 100%!

I'd rather have this copy than never have one at all!

MPFW-1.jpg

and we have seen some slightly brittle paged beauties too... I just got back at catman 31 that looks VF+ but grades 5.5 due to slightly brittle pages... I had the book raw, and they were a little dark but seemed supple to me, so could just be on little spot that gets that designation (shrug)

MPFW-1.jpg

a beautiful, incredibly desirable copy, pq notwithstanding. i'm with you and roy, counselor.

and we have seen some slightly brittle paged beauties too... I just got back at catman 31 that looks VF+ but grades 5.5 due to slightly brittle pages... I had the book raw, and they were a little dark but seemed supple to me, so could just be on little spot that gets that designation (shrug)

Another point to note is that if you have a relatively small brittle area and that area is reinforced, then you can still have a very nice PQ book. Brittle doesn't always mean brown as no page color is implied.

Hey guys,

thought I would start this thread and get a discussion going.

How do you feel about cgc books with brittle or slightly brittle pages quality even if they are graded higher?

I have had many slightly brittle and even straight brittle cgc books over the years and have never had a problem with them. But I choose them carefully. So It does not really matter to me. But I have seen some brittle for sale before that have pieces loose in the cgc case - that is a simple no go for me.

Give me your thoughts!

Brittle Pages = :sick:

MPFW-1.jpg

a beautiful, incredibly desirable copy, pq notwithstanding. i'm with you and roy, counselor.

Personally I would not buy a brittle book for my collection. MPFW is probably the only exception to this rule, and I think a bad example to post here. This book was maybe distributed? This is the only? case where all copies have brittle pages, ok 90%+. I would rather use the discount for brittle and apply it to a more supple book that is restored.

Bruce