• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum fun time. 5 things about your collection people didnt know

111 posts in this topic

Okay, I must comment on this post. First I'll say that this is probably my favorite Roberts post yet. Even better than when he gets all lawyerly-analytical in the pressing threads or busts out with some sweet religious theory that suits my way of thinking.

1. I started reading comics when I was about 4. I was walking about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile each way with a 6 year old cousin once a week or so to a little local market and bought comics and ice popcicles (grape). The 1st comic I remember reading was Amazing Spider-man #90, also had #93, several JLAs in the late 80s, early 90s (#92 :cloud9:), and also Superboys in the 175, 176 range(Neal Adams cover, I even had good taste at 4), and Detective #413 with the great Adams Scarecrow cover.

The childhood stuff is the source for us all. Nice stories here DR.

2. I don't have any Golden Age comics in my collection, but really like the first 14 Superman comics. I also envision putting a high grade EC set together someday, and I want to put together a group of classic GGA covers including Phantom Lady #17, Startling #49, and Brenda Starr #14, and lots of others.

3. Peter Parker, Grayson, and Warlock are my 3 favorite comic characters and Gwen is so far above MJ that it is not even close.

She is preppie & pure.

4. I have about 95% of every Silver/Bronze Marvel & DC Super-Hero comic with the exception of most of the really expensive books such as AF #15, FF #1, and Showcase #4 and 22 (I do have a few), and a good portion of the horror titles in high grade. Many of these books I acquired in a huge trade of unopened wax boxes/sets of baseball cards(including cases of 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf, lots of 1987 Donruss, and Fleer. Also traded some Fleer Basketball including a Jordan rookie). The books were an original owner collection which were very sweet. About 30 boxes all told.

5. My favorite reads are still Marvel Team-up #1 - 100, Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes #197 - 259, Warlock #9 - 15 and all the other Starlin stuff up to the Infinity Gauntlet, Amazing Spider-man #1 - 328 and Nightwing #1 - 40. My favorite artist is Neal Adams, and Dave Stevens, Matt Baker, Al Williamson, Jim Starlin, John Romita, Russ Heath, Wrightson, Alex Ross, and Gil Kane round out my top 10.

6. I have never sold a book out of my collection. I know once it starts, they will all go. I have a GL #76 which I think will grade 9.6. But I don't currently have any slabs in my collection.

7. I love Marvelmania stuff, and similar memorabilia type items. I have sets of the stickers from the 1970s with Adams art on the DCs and Romita and others on the Marvels, a full set with some multiples of 3rd eye Marvel Black Light posters and greeting cards, a set of Marvel pennants from 1966 still in the original package, and tons of similar stuff, including lots of fanzines which I think are very cool. One day you'll do as I've asked & sell some of this stuff to me.

I was going to comment on #5. Those are some great reads.

I also seem to recall Dale saying Amazing 269/270 with Firelord was his favorite Amazing. (mine too, if I had to choose).

I like your taste in reading, Dale.

1. At least 75% of my current collection was purchased right here on the boards. :acclaim:

2. I sold my entire OO comic collection for $40 to Clint of Clint's Comics in Kansas City in the early 90's. It included a near complete run of X-Men from 94 to 143, most of which were in around VF to VF/NM condition.

3. In spite of the fact that my user ID is taken from Swamp Thing (Dr. Alec Holland), I still do not have a complete run of any Swamp Thing series.

4. I am starting to like GA Dell and Harvey comics more than any other publisher or age. Specifically, WDC&S, Four Color, and Casper are my favorite.

5. I usually read at least one comic every night before I go to sleep.

1) I have a full long box that has six different books in it.

2) I think about getting rid of 95% collection at least once a week, but then realize how lazy I am.

3) No book in my collection worth more than $1500.

4) greggy is a dork

5) My raw collection is 100% disorganized - DCs next to Marvels next to Charltons etc…

1. I used to read comics in the bath tub when I was a little kid.

2. Tracing Gil Kane Marvel Premiere: Iron Fist covers was fun.

3. I'll buy any book drawn by Don Newton, Kevin Nowlan, or Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.

4. Most of the older books that have survived my collection sell-offs are Low Grade "working" books. I'll sit them on the table next to me and swipe whatever I can from them.

5. I like robots.

1) I love Turok Son of Stone and I say they are very underpriced

2) I do not like arrival dates, date stamps and signatures on the front cover nor mis-wrap covers

3) I started collecting comic books when I was a kid, my 3 favorite titles then were Spidey, Iron Man and Conan

4) I always did like Rawhide Kid but I am not gay

5) I had to bring Gerry Ross to small claims court for selling me restored comic books when I was 16 years old and I won

:applause: :applause: :applause:

2) I do not own a single book drawn by Jack Kirby

So, you have a big hole in your Airboy collection then... :baiting:

Here are mine:

1). I have more '80s indies than Archies

2). I have a nearly complete collection of Baby Huey comics

3). I have a nearly complete collection of Nancy and Sluggo comics

4). The Defenders is my favorite supergroup

5.) I have no mainstream comics in my collection dated after 1995

5) My raw collection is 100% disorganized - DCs next to Marvels next to Charltons etc…

That is another one for me. At one time each longbox was alphabetical A-Z. Now it is a complete mish-mash

• Administrator

OK, I'll give it a shot...

1. That I even have one...let alone that the entire bottom of my closet is stacked with short boxes. :insane:

2. I carry my want-list with me everywhere (though I don't seem to buy much... (shrug) )

3. My best friend Sarah got me into comics in middle school - Death: The High Cost of Living. The guy that ran the comics stand in the flea market would glare at me as I made my purchases (girls weren't supposed to like comics, I guess) and that scared me away from the super-hero titles for quite a while...

4. I love collecting free at cons/events and have a sizable collection of free pins and postcards from my travels over the years (since elementary school...).

5. I took up over 80% of the the shelf-space in my home office with comic-related statues and toys (my poor husband's toys and motocross trophies lost out...) and still have more that are not out on display.

1. Total TPBs and HCs bought in the last 6 months: ~200

2. Total Individual comics bought in the last 6 months: 0

3. I have a 305 issue run of Amazing Spider-Man

4. I probably own the lowest grade complete JIM 83 on this forum

5. I have regretted buying most of the graded comics I own

1.) When I was younger, I would pack up my comic collection and take it with me everywhere I went.

2.) I have sold every book I have ever owned... twice.

3.) The lowest grade slab in my collection is a 9.0. (X-Men 55 Northland). The highest is a 10.0. (Astonishing X-Men #1 Director's cut).

4.) My favorite comic reads are the Elementals and the New Teen Titans (which I still have) published by Comico and DC respectively.

5.) I still have probably 400 raw comics in my collection.

Oh, I forgot,

6.) I collect barb wire and actually enjoy it more than comics. I have an autographed copy of The "Bobbed" Wire Bible by Jack Glover. .

1.) When I was younger, I would pack up my comic collection and take it with me everywhere I went.

3.) The lowest grade slab in my collection is a 9.0. (X-Men 55 Northland). The highest is a 10.0. (Astonishing X-Men #1 Director's cut).

4.) My favorite comic reads are the Elementals and the New Teen Titans (which I still have) published by Comico and DC respectively.

Oh, I forgot,

6.) I collect barb wire and actually enjoy it more than comics. I have an autographed copy of The "Bobbed" Wire Bile by Jack Glover. .

What about your banjo collection?

Oh, I forgot,

6.) I collect barb wire and actually enjoy it more than comics. I have an autographed copy of The "Bobbed" Wire Bible by Jack Glover. .

What about your banjo collection?

I only bust that out when I feel like pickin' and grinnin'.

1) Bought my first comic (Iron Man 46) from a U-Tote-M convenience store.

2) Lost 99% of my collection in a house fire in 1982. (I swear by mylar - it is heat resistant so the expensive stuff didn't get wet due to melted bags.)

3) While Silver Age Marvel in general, and Fantastic Four 1-100 in particular, are my favorite comics, I don't have a single Silver Age Marvel in my collection. They all went into inventory when I opened my first store.

4) I have about 250 slabbed comics and about 500 unslabbed as nature intended them.

5) I think Acme Novelty Library is the most brilliant thing ever done in comic format.

When I was 13, I traded a near-mint Giant Size X-Men #1 for a near-mint Howard the Duck #1. I currently own a Brunner recreation of HTD 1 to always remind me of that tragic day. :)

I would have a hard time finding any given issue I own because I'm less likely to sell them when I can't find them. I refer to my master checklist when in doubt... but did I check off that last FF 112 I bought?

My girlfriend has more discerning tastes and reads a lot of my non-hero comics. She is in charge of buttering up artists for sketches since I'm ugly and somewhat socially-retarded / abrasive. :P

I hoard certain issues that I cannot reveal... because I don't want the competition. (tsk)

I have 1/3 of the original covers or bluelines to Peter Bagge's Hate comics. :blahblah:

* I own over 20,000 books

* My first Independant comics ever purchased were Cerebus 77 and Badger 10 bought from Westfield Subscription Service.

* The first comic I ever bought from a Brick and Mortar Comic shop was The Saga of Crystar, Crystal warrior #2

* I used to be Anti-CGC in the early phases of my second iteration of collecting (being a lover of READING books)

* My first collection contained "hot" comic books, that a childhood friend purloined from his big brother

* I love Epic Comic and read them from the genesis of the Imprint until I left collecting in 86

* I love First Comics and am close to completing the entire publishing run. My Favorite First Titles are The Badger and the Elric mini-series.

* I am attempting to collect every Vertigo comic published

* I owned a copy of TMNT #1 1st print as a teenager

* Quit collecting in 86 after my collection was raped / cherry picked by the owner of Coliseum of Comics (who looked strikingly familiar to the Simpsons Comic Book Guy at the time). He took my X-men 2, 94, GS-X 1, Hulk 181, TMNT #1 1st, big run of byrne Xmen, and a host of other books and left me with the drek. I used the money gained ($300) to go on a school science trip where i drank alcohol for the first time, thus substituting one passion for another for almost 20 years. The leftover drek discovered in the attic after I recounted this story for a college nonfiction class, plus the Dark Horse relaunch of Conan in 2003 brought me back into collecting.

* I aspire to work in the industry as a writer and/or an editor

* my first Internet message boards was ComicsPriceGuide.com. I used the handle I first appropriated when playing the Age of Empires series online Lookwhoitis

* I love teh whee :whee:

5 Things........Hmmmm hm

1.I am only 16 common(non key)books shy of a complete Amazing Spider-Man run from AF #15-To current. :cloud9:

2.I am restoring a 1929 Oakland three window business coupe,you think high grade comics are hard to get.Try and find parts :frustrated:

3.I have a secret love of Peanuts comics

4.The key to a successful marriage when buying expensive comics.Teach your wife how to grade books,and include her in your purchases.She feels like she's contributing. :cloud9:

5.I am secretly jealous of Trmoore's Journey into Mystery comics,and was in awe looking through them :luhv: