• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum fun time. 5 things about your collection people didnt know

111 posts in this topic

1. I have complete runs of Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Avengers, Web of Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Spidey Super Stories, Ultimate Spider-Man, missing a few from Marvel Team-Up, Nexus, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Groo, and an almost complete run of Usagi (counting Albedo and Critters).

2. My first love has always been, and will always be Duck books.

3. I secretly love Daredevil more than Spider-Man.

4. I actually cried when I read Power Man and Iron Fist #125, and the last issue of Lone Wolf and Cub.

5. There's not a week that goes by that I don't think about selling 75% of my collection.

BONUS!!!

6. I think Keith Geffen is a genius, and rank him with the likes of Moore and Eisner.

7. I think Mike Baron is the third greatest writer of the copper age, behind only Moore and Miller.

8. I love Independent books more than Marvel comics.

1. Green Lantern was really my first love, NOT Wonder Woman

2. I have more Silver Age books than Gold

3. I collect covers with Dragons

4. I started reading comics when I was 4.

5 Forget about Coke Zero, I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi Cherry...and I thought I'd never give up Diet Coke *sigh*

them is fightin words missus!

It's really good, try it...I had some by accident;)

1) I have to many unread comics.

2) The Walking Dead is always the first book I read.

3) I really regret selling my Walking Dead #1 9.8 SS.

4) I some series in issues,trades and hardcovers.

5) Pat turned me into a high grade snob.

I usually read TWD in my car prior to leaving the LCS parking lot.

Same here.

5 Forget about Coke Zero, I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi Cherry...and I thought I'd never give up Diet Coke *sigh*

:o

I'll never see you the same way again. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

:baiting:

My first crush was Hal Jordan...he had jewelry and he could FLY;)

Seriously, first SA series I finished was G.L., then Flash...Wonder Woman was a suggestion from a dear friend who convinced me her books were scarcer than Superman (the next run I was tackling) and they were cheaper...It's been fun finding them all.

them is fightin words missus!

It's really good, try it...I had some by accident;)

blashphemer...... lol

1. I have a borderline stalker-ish obsession with Spider-man comics

2. I'm easily distracted by other runs

3. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to stop being a Marvel zombie. (I have mellowed a bit in the past few years.)

4. I have sold one book from my collection, ever.

5. I find upgrading painful and tend to not "pull the trigger" when the opportunity is there.

1) I started in comics by reading Batman.

2) I first Fell in love with X-men when I watch the first X-men film :insane:

3) I buy all my modern books in a LCS that is more expensive than any other shop or internet store I could use doh!

4) Gav (Boozad) invited my onto the boards (worship)

5) Chew is currently the first book I read each month.

As a Bonus

6) I have never sold a book although I may start doing so to finance bigger buys hm

1) I love Turok Son of Stone and I say they are very underpriced

2) I do not like arrival dates, date stamps and signatures on the front cover nor mis-wrap covers

3) I started collecting comic books when I was a kid, my 3 favorite titles then were Spidey, Iron Man and Conan

4) I always did like Rawhide Kid but I am not gay

5) I had to bring Gerry Ross to small claims court for selling me restored comic books when I was 16 years old and I won

1. Rediscovering Jack Kirby rekindled my interest in collecting 6 years ago.

2. I’ll buy most anything with Kirby art.

3. I’m interested in runs of the majority of Marvel titles from the Atom to Silver Age and a lot of Bronze, but try to stay focused in Silver.

4. I’d love to get rid of those fugly white cardboard boxes and shelving and get my books into some sort of cabinet/armoire/Comic Cubes someday when my ship comes in.

5. I still have almost all the books I had when I started collecting, except for reprint titles like Marvel Tales, Marvel Superheroes and Marvel’s Greatest, which I got rid of as a kid. (Not counting books I bought as an adult and later sold.)

1. I have a Marvel Comics #1 in NM

2. I have a Captain America Comics #1 in NM

3. I have a Fantastic Four #1 in NM

4. I have an Avengers #1 in NM

5. I have an Incredible Hulk #1 in NM

German reprints rock! :headbang:

If those were the real McCoys you'd almost be at "Ian" level of collector!

;)

1. I currently own (0) slabbed books

2. I have read 90%+ of my collection

3. I am not a fan of complex comics, IMO they should all be mindless good fun reading.

4. Super hero books are my second favorite

5. I have never paid more then $150 for a single comic.

FF50 was the first comic to grab me and I've been collecting FF 30 years.

I would rather read Bark's duck books than anything else.

I'm starting to pick up 50's precode horror books.

I have a small stack of OA including a Kirby page.

I buy 2 or 3 WW2 Timelys each year.

1) I started reading Marvels GI Joe and thanks to a childhood friend Matt Kindt I started reading Daredevil

2) Re-bagging and boarding is a real pain in the ***

3) Of my 14 long boxes Punisher books take up 2 and UXM are not to far behind

4) I am still on a quest to find the books lost in my parents house when we move 16 years ago

5) My collection is going to be a pain in the **** to move into my new house

1. I started reading comics when I was about 4. I was walking about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile each way with a 6 year old cousin once a week or so to a little local market and bought comics and ice popcicles (grape). The 1st comic I remember reading was Amazing Spider-man #90, also had #93, several JLAs in the late 80s, early 90s (#92 :cloud9:), and also Superboys in the 175, 176 range(Neal Adams cover, I even had good taste at 4), and Detective #413 with the great Adams Scarecrow cover.

2. I don't have any Golden Age comics in my collection, but really like the first 14 Superman comics. I also envision putting a high grade EC set together someday, and I want to put together a group of classic GGA covers including Phantom Lady #17, Startling #49, and Brenda Starr #14, and lots of others.

3. Peter Parker, Grayson, and Warlock are my 3 favorite comic characters and Gwen is so far above MJ that it is not even close.

4. I have about 95% of every Silver/Bronze Marvel & DC Super-Hero comic with the exception of most of the really expensive books such as AF #15, FF #1, and Showcase #4 and 22 (I do have a few), and a good portion of the horror titles in high grade. Many of these books I acquired in a huge trade of unopened wax boxes/sets of baseball cards(including cases of 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf, lots of 1987 Donruss, and Fleer. Also traded some Fleer Basketball including a Jordan rookie). The books were an original owner collection which were very sweet. About 30 boxes all told.

5. My favorite reads are still Marvel Team-up #1 - 100, Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes #197 - 259, Warlock #9 - 15 and all the other Starlin stuff up to the Infinity Gauntlet, Amazing Spider-man #1 - 328 and Nightwing #1 - 40. My favorite artist is Neal Adams, and Dave Stevens, Matt Baker, Al Williamson, Jim Starlin, John Romita, Russ Heath, Wrightson, Alex Ross, and Gil Kane round out my top 10.

6. I have never sold a book out of my collection. I know once it starts, they will all go. I have a GL #76 which I think will grade 9.6. But I don't currently have any slabs in my collection.

7. I love Marvelmania stuff, and similar memorabilia type items. I have sets of the stickers from the 1970s with Adams art on the DCs and Romita and others on the Marvels, a full set with some multiples of 3rd eye Marvel Black Light posters and greeting cards, a set of Marvel pennants from 1966 still in the original package, and tons of similar stuff, including lots of fanzines which I think are very cool.

Okay, I must comment on this post. First I'll say that this is probably my favorite Roberts post yet. Even better than when he gets all lawyerly-analytical in the pressing threads or busts out with some sweet religious theory that suits my way of thinking.

1. I started reading comics when I was about 4. I was walking about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile each way with a 6 year old cousin once a week or so to a little local market and bought comics and ice popcicles (grape). The 1st comic I remember reading was Amazing Spider-man #90, also had #93, several JLAs in the late 80s, early 90s (#92 :cloud9:), and also Superboys in the 175, 176 range(Neal Adams cover, I even had good taste at 4), and Detective #413 with the great Adams Scarecrow cover.

The childhood stuff is the source for us all. Nice stories here DR.

2. I don't have any Golden Age comics in my collection, but really like the first 14 Superman comics. I also envision putting a high grade EC set together someday, and I want to put together a group of classic GGA covers including Phantom Lady #17, Startling #49, and Brenda Starr #14, and lots of others.

3. Peter Parker, Grayson, and Warlock are my 3 favorite comic characters and Gwen is so far above MJ that it is not even close.

She is preppie & pure.

4. I have about 95% of every Silver/Bronze Marvel & DC Super-Hero comic with the exception of most of the really expensive books such as AF #15, FF #1, and Showcase #4 and 22 (I do have a few), and a good portion of the horror titles in high grade. Many of these books I acquired in a huge trade of unopened wax boxes/sets of baseball cards(including cases of 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf, lots of 1987 Donruss, and Fleer. Also traded some Fleer Basketball including a Jordan rookie). The books were an original owner collection which were very sweet. About 30 boxes all told.

5. My favorite reads are still Marvel Team-up #1 - 100, Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes #197 - 259, Warlock #9 - 15 and all the other Starlin stuff up to the Infinity Gauntlet, Amazing Spider-man #1 - 328 and Nightwing #1 - 40. My favorite artist is Neal Adams, and Dave Stevens, Matt Baker, Al Williamson, Jim Starlin, John Romita, Russ Heath, Wrightson, Alex Ross, and Gil Kane round out my top 10.

6. I have never sold a book out of my collection. I know once it starts, they will all go. I have a GL #76 which I think will grade 9.6. But I don't currently have any slabs in my collection.

7. I love Marvelmania stuff, and similar memorabilia type items. I have sets of the stickers from the 1970s with Adams art on the DCs and Romita and others on the Marvels, a full set with some multiples of 3rd eye Marvel Black Light posters and greeting cards, a set of Marvel pennants from 1966 still in the original package, and tons of similar stuff, including lots of fanzines which I think are very cool. One day you'll do as I've asked & sell some of this stuff to me.

1. I have a Marvel Comics #1 in NM

2. I have a Captain America Comics #1 in NM

3. I have a Fantastic Four #1 in NM

4. I have an Avengers #1 in NM

5. I have an Incredible Hulk #1 in NM

German reprints rock! :headbang:

5 more reasons why you'll be buying me drinks in Bavaria on Tupenny's next visit.

1.) When I was younger, I would pack up my comic collection and take it with me everywhere I went.

2.) I have sold every book I have ever owned... twice.

3.) The lowest grade slab in my collection is a 9.0. (X-Men 55 Northland). The highest is a 10.0. (Astonishing X-Men #1 Director's cut).

4.) My favorite comic reads are the Elementals and the New Teen Titans (which I still have) published by Comico and DC respectively.

5.) I still have probably 400 raw comics in my collection.

Original sources for my comics in chronological order, earliest first:

1) Davis Islands Pharmacy: East Davis Blvd, Tampa (still in business, no comics);

2) L'il General: Henderson Ave & Bay to Bay Blvd SW corner, Tampa (building long gone);

3) 7-Eleven: Kennedy Blvd & Lois Avenue SE corner, Tampa (no longer a 7-Eleven, no comics);

4) Fandom Zone: Kennedy Blvd & Willow SE corner (Ballantine Beer building), Tampa (long out of business, building long gone);

5) Greenshift Music & Comics: North Florida Avenue, Tampa (still in business; Don is the godfather of Tampa comics).