• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum fun time. 5 things about your collection people didnt know

111 posts in this topic

1) One night during a drinking binge I took my Comic Calvacade #2 which had a loose cover, and Elmer glued it back onto the comic. beerbang.gif

2) When deacidification spray hit the market in the late '70's I went crazy happy with it on a number of my books including books that were only a few years old. they still have that great "Pledge" scent!!

3) I tore most of my Mark Jeweler inserts out of my books because the inks from them were seeping onto the centerfolds of my books. "hah! I won't let them destroy my books!" I thought with pride

4) My oldest book and pride and joy is a More Fun #67 that came back from cgc as a 2.5............ They're wrong. Its a 3.5!! shakingmad.gif

5)hmmm still thinking drinking..think.gifthink.gif

ahh, how I wish I was. But I need to get up bright and early tommorow. sigh*

1) I have a complete Overstreet Price Guide collection including both #1s and all the HC (except when they started with multiple covers)

2) I have over 200 comic related paperbacks.

3) I love collecting 1970s and later comic collecting reference books but I don't really read them.

4) I have around 300 Treasury sized comics

5) I love 1970s comic related memorabilia and have a nice collection of them.

But do you have any comics?

I'd love to hear about you Capt because you seem to be buying like a gangster with a get into the Fed card and always seem to be buying things I want before I get to the thread :baiting:

:sorry:

I do have #1 above (softcover only) , lots of #2 and #3, a few #4s and a little #5

1) I have a complete Overstreet Price Guide collection including both #1s and all the HC (except when they started with multiple covers)

2) I have over 200 comic related paperbacks.

3) I love collecting 1970s and later comic collecting reference books but I don't really read them.

4) I have around 300 Treasury sized comics

5) I love 1970s comic related memorabilia and have a nice collection of them.

But do you have any comics?

He gave them all to Sharon in the Secret Santa exchange :applause:

Hmm. Let's see now.

Old news:

1. The first comic I can remember reading as a youngster is either X-Men 1 or Fantastic Four 17, whichever came first.

2. The first comic I owned (gift from a buddy) was Green Lantern S.A issue 8

3. The first comic I bought with my own money was Fantastic Four 45, cost me a nickel at a resale shop while on a family vacation

4. Mom pitched my comics regularly until I was about 13 or so. I had the extreme pleasure of taking her along to a comic show a few years back, and watching her eyes get Real Big as money exchanged hands for those nasty ol funnybooks, lol

5. At one time or other I've owned every SA superhero comic from Showcase 4 up... with the exception of Lois Lane 1 and Showcase 8. Somehow those two have always escaped me.

Current breaking events:

1. I have Superman GA/SA 2-150 complete, and unless I find that magic garage sale I'm very unlikely to ever own #1

2. Try as I might I can't force myself to start collecting Timely books, they're just too damned expensive. Anyone who wants to sell Timely hero books in low grade at guide or under PM me. I'm NOT holding my breath.

3. I'm 3 issues away from completing my prehero Brave and Bold series. Anyone out there have cheap reader copies of 2, 4, and 16 for sale?

4. I'm in the process of rebuilding my SA Marvel collection....for the fourth time. I thought I could make do with Masterworks and Essentials on the bookshelf, and then I made the mistake of reading a few Lee/Kirby issues of Fantastic Four, and there I was, hooked through the bag again. Dammit....

5. In the last few years I've become hooked on Golden Age comics, and althought I tend to catch and release, I'm buying more and more reader copies of these classic stories. Fortunately, not having owned them off the news stand as a kid, I'm content with Masterworks and Archives for many of the stories, although I still prefer the original books when I can afford them

1) my collecting started w/ Cap #150

2) i stole a MTU #3 from my friend Peter during one of our trading sessions

3)i collected Marvel almost exclusively until the mid 90's

4)i have a Miller DD two page spread w/ Bullseye, DD & Black Widow

5) the first comic i paid >$100 for was a DD #1 from Sparkle City

1) Most of my comics didn't get bagged or boarded until about 20 years after I bought them.

2) If I had to guess I would say about half of it came from bargain bins.

3) I still have the first comic my mother ever bought me, out of a quarter bin in 84/85. And it's not in as bad condition as you would imagine :)

4) I collect mini comics from big names in lowbrow fine art when I can.

5) It has just about doubled in size since I started collecting again a year and a half ago.

1. I would like to own more mega-key SA slabs, but have a bad habit of buying my favorite more affordable BA Marvel/DC keys in multiples whenever they become available, so the mega-key money never gets saved.

2. I am working on a low/mid grade Frazetta Famous Funnies run. Have 5 but soon to have 6 of the 8 in hand.

3. Have been obsessed with Neal Adams comics since the 21st century began, but in the 20th century I was all about Byrne.

4. I created my own database program for cataloging my collection because industry standard offerings just didn't impress me.

5. The first X-Men comic I remember owning was #128 w/ Proteus, given to me by my dad back in the day off the spinner rack.

1. I secretly hate myself for selling the collection i had (all bought new from 1962 onwards) in 1995

2. This collection is really my way of trying to replace that one.

3. I think about comics and superheroes far too much for someone who is 37.

4. There are comics that I know I will never own and this makes me a little sad.

5. Cataloguing, bagging, boarding, storing are nearly as much fun to me as reading.

1. Batman is still my favorite character followed clsely by Black Panther, Daredevil, Spiderman, and Nova (not that new , the one from the 70s)

2. I have about 20 long boxes that I havent opened for close to 20 years.

3. I have over 100 early silver-age and golden-age Batman dupes I keep meaning to sell but never get around to doing.

4. My wife is very tolerant of my collecting.

5. I banged Mary Jane when I was in my 20s (please dont tell Spiderman, he may get pizzed)

1. Most treasured item in my collection is not a comic book but the Marvel Comics No-Prize envelope I won in 1974.

2. The first comic books I purchased from a Magazine Shop - FF #102; ASM #88 and Silver Surfer #18. I was thrilled and forever hooked after that.

3. Oldest book in my collection is Classic Comics #13 - Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde - Aug 43. The oldest SA book is Tales of Suspense #1 - Jan 59.

4. The core of my collection is the #1 First Issue of 182 different SA/BA comic titles.

5. Artists whose work I most admired over the years are Mac Raboy and Gene Colan. Exceptionally pleasing to the eye and simply beautiful art to look at. Also enjoy Alex Raymond's work on the classic Flash Gordon comic strips.