• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

now what........

13 posts in this topic

About eight years ago I started really collecting comics and I would buy what I felt were 'key book' like Green Lantern #1, B&B #28, Hulk #181, well you get the idea. After a few years I discovered this Board and really started 'listening' to what other people were doing and it seemed popular and logical to have collecting goals. I was happily buying everything but there was no real challenge to that so I set myself one for a few reasons:

a) to make the game of collecting a bit more fun

b) to stop myself from spending so much as I was buying a lot

so the goal was to collect every book that featured Diana Prince (the powerless mod version of Wonder Woman' on the cover) at 9.4 or better. This was harder than I thought and I am done (even with the odd titles like the Jerry Lewis one) with the exception of two minor upgrades from 9.2 to 9.4 needed.

Now I am not sure what to do. Does anyone else find that near the end of the goal (when only one or two more books are needed) that it can almost be more frustrating then fun? That sounds a bit to negative, what I mean is do others find it difficult to keep going towards the goals when you are looking for those last few books that are extremely difficult to find?

When you finished the goal did you jump right to another?

Do most people set goals or just 'collect'?

You are correct that the last few are more frustrating than they are fun at times.

To prevent that, I overlap goals. That is, I get started on a new goal toward the tail-end of another and I keep an eye on the few remaining books I need for the previous goal.

It's been fun (thumbs u

Serious answer- when I get frustrated in completing a run, specifically one I've been working on for years to decades, I simply walk away. (i.e. take a break!)

Collector, know thyself. I have made really bad purchases trying to force a book; the right book at the wrong time, in the wrong condition, at the wrong price is the wrong book.

I was just collecting for years, took a break on other hobbies, and got back recently. At first there were a lot of keys I wanted but I've realized that with my budget, I just can't buy every key with no end in sight. So now I set a reasonable focus for 2010; X-men 1-66.

After that is done I will move onto something else..but having a goal definitely makes me feel more patient and I am smarter about my purchases. It feels better when I aquire certain books I need as well.

I just buy randomly. No goals. Goals 15+ years ago had me buying stacks of mid-grade copies of SA Thor and Daredevil because those were my "goals" and I thought they were undervalued. Hah hah. Luckily the stacks of mid-grade SA ASMs I also bought then made it all a wash.

Sure, there are some books I'd like to own and I'd probably pay a little more for them than the random purchases. It's not even a condition thing. I haven't had an ASM 129 probably since I was 5 or 6 so I bought one from a local shop for $20. sure, it had an interior clipped coupon and was otherwise maybe a VG+..but GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!

next i need a Hulk 181 for that price...

GOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLS!

I too decided to go the 9.4 route. (9.4s ow/w or better pre 1979 & 9.6 ow/w or better post 1980.)

Q: Does anyone else find that near the end of the goal (when only one or two more books are needed) that it can almost be more frustrating then fun?

A: Yes. I had it happen with my TOS 1st 3 apps. of Clint & Natasha run (couldn't find a 9.4 #57 with better than ow pages forever!) & than most recently with my 1-10 DD run. ( again I could not acquire a 9.4 #3 with ow+ pages.) I have to be honest, while sitting in limbo waiting for these two books made feel more like a heroin addict than that of a comic collector! I had take deep breaths and remember that this was my HOBBY not a job. :insane:

Q: Do others find it difficult to keep going towards the goals when you are looking for those last few books that are extremely difficult to find?

A: Yes....but I made my goals what I thought attainable to my wallet, my wife (I mean that in a loving understanding manner :makepoint: ) and not too ludicrously scarce to surface.

Q: When you finished the goal did you jump right to another?

A: I believe, you have to multitask I feel if you have goals in comic collecting. Because my biggest problem was a certain book would not surface for a certain goal. So I always have some smaller easier attainable goals to pass the time while :pullhair: on another goal.

As I near the completion of my Avengers 1-100 set, there is certainly a longer and longer lag between each book. I don't find it to be frustrating. I like the challenge.

What I don't like is that the last few books have also been some of the most expensive purchases of the run. So I'm actually thankful that I have a few months between each purchase to replenish my cash reserves.

I did start collecting another title as things started to slow down with the Avengers purchases. I thought I'd pick a relatively short-run bronze title, figuring it wouldn't be difficult to build a complete high grade set. I chose Howard the Duck, and I should have done my homework because more than a few issues are bloody impossible to find in UHG. All things considered, it hasn't been a particularly costly set to complete - except for a few key issues (Fear #19 9.8 for example).

So a few weeks ago I decided to start yet another HG run: Daredevil. That should keep me busy for a few years.

So short answers:

• Not frustrating, but challenging

• Start a new goal to overlap the end of the previous goal