• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wood storage boxes and offgassing effects on comics

13 posts in this topic

I have a question,about this phenomenom 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,

I have read a bit on this topic elsewhere, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, so any links/information anyone can pass along would be great and

I will paypal you each a shiney new penny to show my appreciation for your time spent. acclaim.gif

Do all woods off gass the same?( my comic boxes are made of treated Pine)

WTF is offgasing and how does it exactly affect comics over time?

How long does it take to affect stored comics?

My comics are all placed in a 1 mil taped flaped mylar with acid free board, then each comic is then placed in an open top 4 mil mylar for further protection, will this partially prevent my comics leeching gas fumes?

And lastly, is it possible to find NM comics in the dream "attic Find", if the comics were in a wood chest?.

Thanks in advance for any help, and supply me a email so I can paypal you all your penny.

p.s. sorry.. confused-smiley-013.gif I used Poplar, not Pine as stated above,

to tired to think tonight

I have a question,about this phenomenom 893scratchchin-thumb.gif,

I have read a bit on this topic elsewhere, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here, so any links/information anyone can pass along would be great and

I will paypal you each a shiney new penny to show my appreciation for your time spent. acclaim.gif

Do all woods off gass the same?( my comic boxes are made of treated Pine)

WTF is offgasing and how does it exactly affect comics over time?

How long does it take to affect stored comics?

My comics are all placed in a 1 mil taped flaped mylar with acid free board, then each comic is then placed in an open top 4 mil mylar for further protection, will this partially prevent my comics leeching gas fumes?

And lastly, is it possible to find NM comics in the dream "attic Find", if the comics were in a wood chest?.

Thanks in advance for any help, and supply me a email so I can paypal you all your penny.

You'd be amazed at how well books can be preserved in even the most preposterous of conditions. I found a crate of my mom's old comic books (Archies and Dells, mostly) in a barn on my grandparent's farm. They were in a cardboard box, uncovered, and it was a BARN. Drafty, humid, dusty, hay-y. The books were all in great shape, though. Still are, I guess. Harharhar

But they'd been there for a good 25 years or so... Very unusual? Maybe? Who has found a collection that was in horrible shape because of where it was stored? We never get to hear those stories... granted, my grandpa did have another box of comics that he bought at an auction years ago (bunch of Conans) that were stored in the same barn in the same way that were brittle, torn-up, and covered in barn funk. Go figure.

I am still waiting to find out what exact gasses are released. If I knew that, then I could make a better decision.

Would Pine be worse? Considering its strong smell, I would guess so.

I am now a true believer in the “attic find”. I have recently come across some in my father’s attic as well as my own that I had tossed to the side because I thought they were worthless. My fathers were in awful condition, but my own were shockingly just fine and had been stored in grocery bags, plastic bags and cardboard boxes (most without bags and boards). They have been up there for at least 10 years in a very hot and humid environment. How they survived is anyone’s guess.

Would Pine be worse? Considering its strong smell, I would guess so.

Sorry confused-smiley-013.gif

Kik me hard.. my box is made of Poplar, not Pine .. I made a typo/brain fart

too many beers during the Knicks game, and I am only working with 6 brain cells to start with..

Zeman

I've been wondering about this myself. We have a woodworking department where I work, and I was thinking of getting them to knock up a box with some sort of hard plastic top for GCG comics.

Then I would be able to see all the titles from above with having to rumage through the box!

Is there a ype of wood that is recommended, untreated or treated?????

You have me intrigued now!

What about air-tight plastic containers with some kind of dehumidifier inside? Won't be these be the best to store comics in?

I asked the Library of Congress this exact question, and they recommended against both air-tight storage and the use of dehumidifying dessicants. Here's a link to the complete thread where we discussed this before:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=298281

FF, you ever get the feeling we need a standard cut-and-paste reply that says "We've had that thread before!" ...

Maybe someone can do up a jpeg of the old lady from Sunday Night Sex Show chastising the poster... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Of course, you'd have to have the blue and red dolls in the right position... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

FF, you ever get the feeling we need a standard cut-and-paste reply that says "We've had that thread before!" ...

Since I've quoted that thread no less than eight times over the last two months...YES! Guess it's a side-effect of how many posts there are these days...if I don't read the boards for a day or two, I usually see 800 to 1200 new messages in the "General" section alone. It's impossible to read all that if you've got a busy life...it's a shame everybody's so closed-minded about creating a few new forums to better categorize this deluge of Comics General posts.

Since I've quoted that thread no less than eight times over the last two months...YES! Guess it's a side-effect of how many posts there are these days...if I don't read the boards for a day or two, I usually see 800 to 1200 new messages in the "General" section alone. It's impossible to read all that if you've got a busy life...it's a shame everybody's so closed-minded about creating a few new forums to better categorize this deluge of Comics General posts.

Sorry fellas, yes you are correct, I am busy , have a new baby, and while I do read past posts, my time is limited ,and I do not scour them for previous posts threads .

So I am sorry for "re-asking questions posted already.

Thanks for your reply though.

Zeman