• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An Unglamorous Day With Borock

43 posts in this topic

Earlier this week I agreed to accompany Steve B to view an original owner collection. He needed transportation and some grunt work and naturally I could not refuse.

Let me tell you, if you have visions of Steve B flitting about the country, glancing at books and flitting back with s smile and a chuckle you have the wrong image. This was work.

I picked him up from his hotel at about 9:30AM. About a half hour later we were at our destination. Met with a very nice man who had been collecting for many years. Steve spent considerable time talking about various aspects of submitting the collection for auction. Then he started going through the books with the client, pointing out both positives and negatives in a very direct and honest way.

Next he went through the books on-site with his laptop at hand. (Many more were off-site). Taking each one from the box, checking it for condition, resto etc. Recording each one and estimating grade. Next he went through them again estimating a general "value". By this time we took a break for lunch at a local restaraunt. Then back to the main site for a once-over.

Next we drive several miles to another site, with the first batch of books in tow. Many many more books were stored there. Lots of them. Steve went through each one again.

Next stop the local staples to buy boxes, packing tape and bubble wrap. Back to the second site to sort, wrap and pack the books. Load them in the car. Then hit Fedex to get the boxes shipped.

After leaving Fedex it was time to go back home. We arrived in San Francisco a bit after 9:00PM. I was wiped. I was expecting glamour. Yes, many of the books were very cool. But overall we spent almost 12 hours from start to finish, and maybe 1/3 of that time was actually involved with examining the books themselves. Hard to tell where the time went but it went!

We finished up with a quick late meal. I hit the hay relatively early for me, with my body a bit sore and my barin a bit soggy.

Let me tell you, Steve's world is really not all glamor and glitz!

Who are you?

I am your worst nightmare. I am the customer who comes on a press run and says "turn up the yellow" here 17 times and then says "turn down the yellow here (at the same place) 17 times and then says "OK." The customer who says to shift the registration on the 4th black to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left and then says shift the registration on the 4th black to the right, to the right, to the right, to the right and then says "OK".

And ends the night with "Who's buying?"

Who are you?

I am your worst nightmare. I am the customer who comes on a press run and says "turn up the yellow" here 17 times and then says "turn down the yellow here (at the same place) 17 times and then says "OK." The customer who says to shift the registration on the 4th black to the left, to the left, to the left, to the left and then says shift the registration on the 4th black to the right, to the right, to the right, to the right and then says "OK".

And ends the night with "Who's buying?"

I know you! (worship)

Sounds pretty interesting actually. At least for Steve. I would have probably played a bit of Bejeweled on my phone after a while lol

It is an interesting trade to be in though. My aunts boyfriend sells collectibles for a living and runs around looking for new scores all the time. It seems like a fun job but the risks would be too great for me (tsk) I'll be punching a clock until I retire, die, or win the lottery :)

not a single mention of what kind of books you looked at, any highlights you saw

among the books, how many books except to say a car load, and no pictures.

what a tease!

Well as Steve already mentioned in another post: "So many high grade 50's & 60's D.C.'s."

So I am comfortable saying there were many high grade 50's and 60's DCs.

not a single mention of what kind of books you looked at, any highlights you saw

what a tease!

Well as Steve already mentioned in another post: "So many high grade 50's & 60's D.C.'s."

thanks. i tend not to read every thread/post so i probably missed it.

what a tease!

thanks. i tend not to read every thread/post so i probably missed it.

It was a cool OO collection, lot's of low grades, but, it looked to me, as if the gentleman took "time off" from reading, but not buying for a few years. So, many of the books were unread from a time period that you don't see many high grade copies :banana: Many will be "highest graded" copies.

These will start showing up on Heritage once they are graded. Many will be in the next Signature Auction (May?), but I am sure that some will show up on our Sunday night auctions. The gentleman wants the books, at this point in time, stated as "from the Levittown collection". It's were he grew up and bought the books off the stands. (About 15 minutes from where I grew up). This guy loved his comics, but it was, sadly, time for him to sell.

I could have bought it, but he would not have made as much $, and told him so. I showed him GPA, the CGC census, explained the benifits of CGC grading and such. All he knew was the Overstreet. Someone else could have used the OSPG to buy it and walked away with his collection for pennies on the dollar. I would not.

It was a very long day, I could not have done it with out Mikes help (worship) He did not go into enough detail on what a nightmare getting this collection really was. I was burnt out after, but a late dinner with Mike helped me wind down before getting up at 5:45am to catch a flight home.

Thanks again, Mike!

Hope you folks enjoy these books when they finally come to market (thumbs u

Any Man From U.N.C.L.E. paperbacks? :devil:

No....but he did have:

ASM 52 CGC 9.4 OW pages or better...well-centered...

FF 45 and 49 in CGC 9.0

JIM 89 in 6.0 to 8.0 raw...116 and 123 in CGC 9.0 or better

:baiting:

Let me tell you, Steve's world is really not all glamor and glitz!

Eh, sounds glam and glitzy to me.

And for once in his life Dr Watson is right ( :baiting:) we need some pics!