• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Auction Sales and Relistings. Legit?

901 posts in this topic

I don't believe there are across-the-board shills on either ComicLink or Pedigree, as I've won significant books for 20% to 30% less than market average. Do certain people bid up their own books, particularly employees of the house as Heritage does? I'd suspect yes, absolutely.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do about shilling. If I want to shill my own auctions even if I don't work for the auction house, it's easy, easy, easy. If shilling bugs you, then there isn't a single auction format you should ever participate in.

I don't believe there are across-the-board shills on either ComicLink or Pedigree, as I've won significant books for 20% to 30% less than market average. Do certain people bid up their own books, particularly employees of the house as Heritage does? I'd suspect yes, absolutely.

Ultimately there's nothing you can do about shilling. If I want to shill my own auctions even if I don't work for the auction house, it's easy, easy, easy. If shilling bugs you, then there isn't a single auction format you should ever participate in.

This is a terrific post.

If shilling bugs you, then there isn't a single auction format you should ever participate in.

I agree. There are three books I want in the Comic Link auction. I'm not sure I want the aggravation associated with bidding on them to even compete for the right to own them. Take into account other circumstances surrounding the books and I am thinking of passing on them altogether.

This is a terrific post.

So...the answer to shill bidding is.....acceptance? hm

No, the answer is the same as your answer to pressing...or to rain...or to people who frown...or to spiders in your bed--hold your breath until you turn blue and complain about it endlessly. :baiting:

This is a terrific post.

If you want to own the book, yes.

It's just like pressing. The only people not doing it are the ones who don't know about it. :gossip:

Yes, I've noticed similar observations Brent... I suppose if he is the owner of the books and then "wins" them it's pretty obvious he's bidding on them on himself.

Sure hope this isn't the case...it will end up ruining people's trust in Doug. Let's hope there's a reasonable explanation.

paging FT

paging FT

Whether it is a secret reserve price or shill bidding it makes me wonder how much of this bull market in high grade SA is manipulation and how much is accurate prices based on demand.

Many years ago I heard complaints that Overstreet raised the prices of older books in the guide every year to deliberately create a bull market. It wouldn't be hard for on-line venues to manipulate the market in key, high grade SA books. Prices that we accept as the norm today would have been considered insane 5 years ago.

This is a terrific post.

I wouldn't say acceptance as much as I would say acknowledgment that it's out there.

I see my Action #265 that I sold him two years ago is being auctioned off again.

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=21737

This is a terrific post.

Or not bidding at all.

This is a terrific post.

Why not? It's the answer, for many, to pressing. The path of least resistance and all.

This is a terrific post.

Why not? It's the answer, for many, to pressing. The path of least resistance and all.

That would depend on the buyers stance on pressing, shill bidding is wrong, pressing is wrong to some people, not legally "wrong".