• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the highest CGC grade that allows rusty staples?

17 posts in this topic

The title pretty much says it all... What's the highest possible grade that CGC will assign to a book that has rusty staples?

I've called for notes on a few 7.5s that had them, but that's the limit of my personal experience.

Thanks in advance! :hail:

I have a double cover 9.0/9.4 that was given the overall grade of 9.0

due to rusty staples.

I think it depends on the amount of rust.

If both staples have rust over their entire surface area I'm guessing that 8.5 is max from what I have read and seen.

Migration to the paper will drop the grade, less rust may increase the grade.

due to rusty staples.

If both staples have rust over their entire surface area I'm guessing that 8.5 is max from what I have read and seen.

This is a good point. (thumbs u

due to rusty staples.

This is a good point. (thumbs u

Only restoration on this book was the replacement of the staples. To me, it's worth it in the long run to replace the staples in order to prevent migration. It's a purple label, but I don't care if it means the preservation of the book.

RangersComics26CGCSS.jpg

there was a 9.7 in a recent ebay auction that I am pretty sure had rusty staples lol

That 9.7 didn't look anywhere near as good as the 8.8, though...

-slym

thought the 9.3 was undergraded by cgc too

I submitted a copper book in a large prescreen lot that received a 9.8 .

When I get any newly slabbed books in the mail I like to stare at each one for a while. It was then that I noticed the book had rust spots on both staples. I didn't notice the rust when I sent it in, structurally it looked perfect and it was a prescreen so I guess I missed it. As there are no grader's notes on a 9.8 I can't really say what happened. It could have been a 10.0 downgraded to a 9.8 ?!?

I have a 9.0 with rusty staples - when I called for grader's notes, they told me they would never note it in the grader's notes for a book of that low of a grade.