• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers overlooked?

29 posts in this topic

Did I miss something or can anyone explain why the Avengers prices have not come close to the rest of the sector?

I guess no movie hype keeps many speculators away, but I always liked the series?

(or am I completely wrong?) confused-smiley-013.gif

I spoke with a few dealers recently and they mentioned that Avengers in the #40-60 area are doing better....of course #57 but the issues before that have been asked for more frequently.....

Did I miss something or can anyone explain why the Avengers prices have not come close to the rest of the sector?

They have always lagged behind the prices of all the SA Marvels with the possible exception of Thor. So it's not a new phenomenon.....

Jim

Sounds like a great buying oppertunity, even outside of speculating, for Avengers fans!!!

I wish I hadn't sold of my run of Thor's years ago, because prices have gone up substantially since I let go of about 250 issues from 126-400. frown.gif

Avengers have always been on the bubble for me... even when I was a kid buying off of the spinner rack. Uneven writing and (later) uneven art were the main drawbacks.

Are there records of how many of each issue of a comic were actually printed? I always felt like there were a lot of Avengers comics around (heck, all of the kids in my group had more of them than anything else).

So, is it a supply thing (too many copies) or a demand thing (not enough interest)?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Avengers has always been my favorite title personally. I always loved the kind of group they were, with the constantly rotating membership and such. It kept things fresh, in my opinion. I also felt as a kid that I was getting more bang for the buck, seeing Cap, Thor, Iron Man, etc in one book, as opposed to buying three or four different titles.

So it's not a new phenomenon.....

I didnt say it was a new thing, I've actually been watching it for ever!

with the possible exception of Thor

I think we need to get more people back into church!

Are there records of how many of each issue of a comic were actually printed?

Not sure how many, but some of them are definately in constant supply in HG (#24 in 9.6 anyone 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)

Avengers has always been my favorite title personally. I always loved the kind of group they were, with the constantly rotating membership and such. It kept things fresh, in my opinion. I also felt as a kid that I was getting more bang for the buck, seeing Cap, Thor, Iron Man, etc in one book, as opposed to buying three or four different titles.

Me 2 thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I remember I used to always get ticked off at the Avengers cause they never would let Spidey join....even after 250-plus issues, he was still the 'hero nobody trusted...'

Geez, and he only defeated 100 or so super villians 50-gazillion times...

What always killed me was that the FF and Avengers were always gullible enough to fall for JJJ's editorials.....like, 'Gee, this money-hungry publicity hound seems to know what he's talking about...'

The Avengers is one of my favorite books, but as already mentioned here suffers from lapses in quality from time period to time period.

For instance, 1-8 have solid Kirby art... then it degenerates for a number of issues with Heck... then Buscema comes on board and it's much more solid... Then, after issue 100, it becomes subpar until George Perez/John Byrne come in, and then goes downhill until the late 250s again. Stories are hit or miss.

As books go, the Avengers are undervalued to me. But just like Thors, I hope they stay that way, it certainly makes them easier to obtain.

On a somewhat unrelated note, read Avengers Forever by Busiek/Pacheco... entertaining read with great art.

I think the biggest problem with the Avengers, is that it never created a "comic world" for the characters to live in.

Granted, this is mostly because the main characters already had their own books, but the "let's share characters" format is a and less compelling and far more generic route to take, especially compared to "detailed comic world" books like FF and Spider-man.

Funny you mentioned that. After the registry set came out, the prices seemed to bump up a little on these books. It's also pretty hard to find a lot of these issues on eBay. Last time I checked there were only like 60 CGC listings for Avengers.

Brian

can anyone explain why the Avengers prices have not come close to the rest of the sector?

Because they make me sleeping.gif . I tried them for a few years and was uncompelled to keep trying.

I like the Ultimates a lot, and it has inspired me to ponder the possibility of taking a second look at the Avengers. Which issues are the best?

(or am I completely wrong?) confused-smiley-013.gif

I totally aggree.. aside from the Avengers #4, I think the whole series is totally undervalued..

which I am glad so I might pik up some at a decent price.

I personally feel the covers 1-20 are some of the finest work done by the Bullpen at that time.

Lets only hope that if/when a movie comes out it not only drives up the value.. but that the movie KIKS ARSE..

Zeman

I'm a rabid Avengers fan but am not thrilled with the Ultimates.

Some great bronze(ish) age Avengers arcs;

90-97,116-118,the squadron supreme from the 140s,the Micheal saga from the 170-`180s,Avengers ann.8,9,10,11

My favorite cover is still #57 with the first appearence of the Vision!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Another Classic! thumbsup2.gif

05815547774.57.GIF

I posted the Doom book, b/c he's my favorite. And James is a big FF Fan (duh! tongue.gif), so I figured he'd be interested in an appearance.

Chris

Another problem was that they changed gears very early in the run. What started out as a SUPERGROUP (like Led Zepellin) at the beginning quickly turned into a supergroup (like Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band).

The roster originally included Thor, Hulk and Iron Man. Stan quickly figured out that the Hulk was not a team player and having Thor in the Avengers was akin to having Superman in the JLA -- what do you need the other members for?

sign-rantpost.gif

The roster quickly devolved into a larger line-up of b-grade, one-note "heroes" like Hawkeye (the Carrot Top of Marvel heroes) and Scarlet Witch (whose alleged superpower I STILL don't understand after 40 years).

Don't even get me started on Hank "I'm Ant-Man...No, wait! I'm Giant-Man! But that's a dopey name, so call me Goliath!" Pym.

By contrast, the Fantastic Four only entered their baroque period after they had 75 issues in the can, and then only for a very good and logical story reason (Sue got pregnant, so Crystal sat in for her).