• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nastiest Comic Shipping Method you ever recieved?

56 posts in this topic

I dunno about you all, but one thing I cant stand is a seller who uses a shipping methods that nearly make it impossible to remove a comic from his packing materials. 893frustrated.gif

I once bought a Marvel Tales #2 and a TEAM UP #1 from a seller on the Bay, and got my box in the mail, now the box was fine, no problems there, but once I opened it , I looked on in horror as he used duct tape to tape my comics to a piece of cardboard, I MEAN THE ENTIRE THING WAS COVERED IN DUCT TAPE

I had to kind of guess where I was supposed to cut as I felt along carefully to ascertain where my comic started and the tape ended.

Needless to say that was not all of it, 893whatthe.gif once I extracted my comics from the duct tape, I then looked on in horror as he used more tape to tape both copies back to back, so I once again had to guess where to cut , and hopefully not slice my comic up.

I am sure there are some other horror stories out there, please share and perhaps I wont mind as much looking at my VF Marvel Team up #1 with a corner now cut off from knife.

Zeman

My only real horror story was buying a NM set of ASM 298-320-something for a wild BIN, and then picking it up from the mailbox.....

The seller has just wrapped thin brown paper over the bagged (no boards) comics and tossed them in the mail. I had (wrongly) assumed that a comic lot of this weight and girth would naturally be boxed.

Needless to say, the package arrived in tattered condition, and it's amazing that the books weren't shredded or lost. Worst of all, these obviously USED TO BE pristine issues (as the scans attested) and some of the middle comics only had a slight corner ding.

After that, I confirm that anything valuable or heavy is sent boxed.

I purchased a VF+ copy of Amazing Spider-man #61 off Ebay. The seller taped the comic (inside a comic bag that was very stiff) to one piece of Cardboard and then placed it into a normal brown envelope. Since the bag was too big for the comic the comic moved around and actually caused the tape holding the bag to the cardboard to shread the bag in about 5 places.

It looked like an M-80 blow up inside the bag as it was torn into 5 pieces. The comic somehow came through undamaged, which is an absolute miracle.

I e-mailed the seller and offered him some advice on using two pieces of cardboard in the future to protect the comic during shipping. thumbsup2.gif

I e-mailed the seller and offered him some advice on using two pieces of cardboard in the future to protect the comic during shipping. thumbsup2.gif

When offering such advise, I now know to specify actually taping the cardboard pieces together.

Just yesterday I received a batch of comics with the two pieces of cardboard just stacked in there, top and bottom, right along with all the bagged & boarded comics. The contents shifted around so badly during shipping that the corners and edges of the cheap unpadded envelope had multiple tears several inches long. It's miraculous that the whole thing didn't completely fall apart. The books weren't damaged either.

NM+ copy Uncanny X-men 266 just in a manilla bubble envelope and a comic bag. Arrived heavily mutilated. Dontya know someone got neg f/b on that one. Then, to add insult to injury the moran left me neg f/b claiming he didnt know who i was and that i never actually paid for any item from him. Of course ebay would not remove it

The second neg on the list describes the worst packing I've had to deal with. It's also the only retaliatory neg I've had.

http://auctiononlinedirectory.com/cgi-bin/negs?User=oldguy100&Dirn=Left+by

Hah! Way to nail the shipping profiteer with a neg for each item. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif I won't cry over a few dollars, but a $12.19 overcharge wont fly. 893naughty-thumb.gif

My story is not about the seller's mistake but the PO's! I received a CGC MTU in the mail last week that was shipped using the free priority box. When I walked into my room and saw a package lying on my chair, I looked at it wondering if it was an old box that someone placed in my room or was it the book I had been waiting for!!! 893whatthe.gif One side of the box had major and I mean MAJOR moisture damage causing the box to warp making the box bend into a U-shape. The side that took the beating also had some bad looking brown poop looking stains and the outer cardboard was also falling off. foreheadslap.gif My friends came over that night and saw the box and were asking if someone sat on my box and took a [!@#%^&^]! 27_laughing.gif

I had a run of DD vol 2 1 thru 20something sent to me in some big, loose bag kind of thing, they weren't sandwiched between cardboard, or even taped to each other - just 20+ comics LOOSE in a freakin' THIN BAG (at least they were bagged and boarded)! Needless to say they didn't arrive in 'NM' condition.

i had some dude from california send me 50 HG spideys (150-199) bagged and boarded, wrapped in paper and just stuck into a big manilla envelope. even the PO guy said that it looked like it might be bad and it was. about a third of the books suffered minor dings. we worked it out..............after i explained that you can't send anything that poorly protected, especially books in 9.4+ grade...... mad.gif

oh, and Cory from CGC called me today to gently explain that i used too much tape on my latest submission and i was lucky that nothing got stuck to it. she also explained that books sent like mine are often just returned to sender.

she was extremely polite, but got her points across - i apologized profusely. blush.gif

oh, and Cory from CGC called me today to gently explain that i used too much tape on my latest submission and i was lucky that nothing got stuck to it.

might I ask exactly how you sent them in so we might all avoid your "overtaping blunder" in the future

Zeman

Oh come on....

Someone must have the pic handy of the comics shipped in the inter-office envelope... I realize most of the responders to this thread weren't here back then, but that one took the cake...

Will a forum veteran please report to the thread?

Oh come on....

Someone must have the pic handy of the comics shipped in the inter-office envelope... I realize most of the responders to this thread weren't here back then, but that one took the cake...

Will a forum veteran please report to the thread?

You mean this one....

211142-envelope2.jpg

I had someone send me a "NM" Amazing Spider-Man #6 in a regular bag and thin comic board inside a FedEx envelope. No cardboard, no other padding. Obviously, the book did not arrive in NM, and obviously, I returned it. The seller tried to refuse a refund, which made me mad. So after I convinced him that giving a refund would be cheaper than defending a lawsuit, I shipped the book back to him in a bag, comic board, and FedEx envelope. Jerk.

I had someone send me five NM books from ENGLAND to California. She shipped them in a bubble envelope. No comic boards, no cardboard, nothing. The books arrived in beat-up shape, but they were cheap reader copies of newer stuff, so I didn't raise a stink.

I also had someone send me a "NM+" copy of a comic in a plain envelope, no bad, no board, no nothing -- in the mail. The book was beat to hell when it arrived.

At this point, I will not pay for a book that is worth more than $10 without having a prior discussion with the seller about how it'll be shipped.

My only real horror story was buying a NM set of ASM 298-320-something for a wild BIN, and then picking it up from the mailbox.....

The seller has just wrapped thin brown paper over the bagged (no boards) comics and tossed them in the mail. I had (wrongly) assumed that a comic lot of this weight and girth would naturally be boxed.

Needless to say, the package arrived in tattered condition, and it's amazing that the books weren't shredded or lost. Worst of all, these obviously USED TO BE pristine issues (as the scans attested) and some of the middle comics only had a slight corner ding.

After that, I confirm that anything valuable or heavy is sent boxed.

i cut the cardboard pieces a bit larger than the comics. since i didn't want the comics to move, i wrapped some packing tape around the six of them to hold them together and then taped them to the first piece of cardboard so they wouldn't move. and then taped both pieces of cardboard together. and then rolled them all in bubblewrap and stuffed into a stiff cardboard box.

they had problems with having to cut through so much packing tape. i'm sure it took too long and they were afraid that they might damage them trying to free them from their prison. BUT, they perservered and i'm picking them up in sarasota in a week.

thanks to CGC for going the extra mile........... 893applaud-thumb.gif