• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

In hindsight...that 7.5 ow which sold last year was a real bargain. :tonofbricks:

In hindsight, the 9.6 copy was the bargain of the decade when it sold on Heritage.

Goldman must`ve been bummed, and Wilson`s client must`ve been ecstatic.

With SC4 9.2 selling, it was the confirmation for the upper DC SA market. I bet your client was ecstatic of the BB28 purchase.

I don`t know if he was ecstatic, as negotiations were protracted and he definitely felt like he was paying full freight!

In contrast, the 9.6 SC 4 was barely more than the 9.4 copy that had sold just a short while before. It was a clear bargain from the minute the auction closed, and I`m sure the winner`s ceiling was much much higher.

I believe Wilson said at the time he was buying the Showcases for himself -- don't if that's what happened or if he has sold them since then. He had offered Goldman more than he paid for the books at the auction. Goldman was very displeased with how the auction played out.

I don't think Mark ended up with the books for himself, at least that is what he's telling people.

In hindsight...that 7.5 ow which sold last year was a real bargain. :tonofbricks:

In hindsight, the 9.6 copy was the bargain of the decade when it sold on Heritage.

Goldman must`ve been bummed, and Wilson`s client must`ve been ecstatic.

With SC4 9.2 selling, it was the confirmation for the upper DC SA market. I bet your client was ecstatic of the BB28 purchase.

I don`t know if he was ecstatic, as negotiations were protracted and he definitely felt like he was paying full freight!

In contrast, the 9.6 SC 4 was barely more than the 9.4 copy that had sold just a short while before. It was a clear bargain from the minute the auction closed, and I`m sure the winner`s ceiling was much much higher.

I believe Wilson said at the time he was buying the Showcases for himself -- don't if that's what happened or if he has sold them since then. He had offered Goldman more than he paid for the books at the auction. Goldman was very displeased with how the auction played out.

I don't think Mark ended up with the books for himself, at least that is what he's telling people.

He did not. He was always buying for a client. I believe the offer he made Goldman was on behalf of this same client.

Goldman gambled and lost.

I'd rather have the bb28 than the S4 in those grades.

Owning a 9.4 B&B 28 is so 2009. I would like to own the 9.6 SC 4.

An 8.0 would be fine for us "regulars". :makepoint:

Even a 6.0 would be a thrill for me.

That will complete your top three SA DC set in 6.0's. (thumbs u

Or, as they say, close enough for government work ;)

I saw it, it's a nice copy. The price however, seems a tad optimistic (shrug)

Certainly not in my budget. But you never know. Good luck with the sale!

Just to clear up any misunderstanding here, I'm NOT the seller of this book. I was merely informing others about its availability.

Yeah, I wish it was mine, but I'll have to settle for the CGC 3.5 (CR-OW) copy I bought back in February.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding here, I'm NOT the seller of this book. I was merely informing others about its availability.

Yeah, I wish it was mine, but I'll have to settle for the CGC 3.5 (CR-OW) copy I bought back in February.

mea culpa doh!

Hey, a 3.5 is not settling when it comes to any SC #4 (thumbs u

. . . but I do think that 5.0 is a little optimistically priced.

I had a 5.0 offered to me for a lot less a few months back.

In hindsight, I wish I had bought it.

mea culpa doh!

Hey, a 3.5 is not settling when it comes to any SC #4 (thumbs u

. . . but I do think that 5.0 is a little optimistically priced.

I had a 5.0 offered to me for a lot less a few months back.

In hindsight, I wish I had bought it.

No harm done B.

BTW, Your 4.0 LT-OW copy presents very well for its assigned grade. I'd normally avoid that type of PQ, but I made a couple of rare exceptions in order to acquire an AF#15 old-label 4.5 (also presents very well for its grade and no MC !) and a GA Captain America #17 in 5.0. I got great deals on both of them!

I know right. The cover is like we say here in Brooklyn, "butta" but the PQ is LT/OW. I took the trade off on PQ to get the best copy of a cover I adore. Someday, I may find a 5.0 that measures up. The problem is many have worse covers than my 4.0.

Not a bad problem to have I guess :blush:

I resubbed an old label AF #15 and got a PQ bump :baiting:

Some great deals in those them thar old labels that get PQ bumps. :preach:

I was wondering if someone was going to post this book. I am amazed at the lack of inventory. Right now that is the only Showcase 4 on ebay. I think six months ago there was a half a dozen.

I think my dreams of an 8.0 or better may be fading.

I know right. The cover is like we say here in Brooklyn, "butta" but the PQ is LT/OW. I took the trade off on PQ to get the best copy of a cover I adore. Someday, I may find a 5.0 that measures up. The problem is many have worse covers than my 4.0.

Not a bad problem to have I guess :blush:

I resubbed an old label AF #15 and got a PQ bump :baiting:

Some great deals in those them thar old labels that get PQ bumps. :preach:

You did send the book back in raw to regrade right? They don't review PQ any longer, I was told last month. The only way now to have them possibly change anything is by a full regrade. I was asking because I was having about ten old label books reholdered.

It can get expensive to pay for a whole new grading of some high end books. Night,

I was wondering if someone was going to post this book. I am amazed at the lack of inventory. Right now that is the only Showcase 4 on ebay. I think six months ago there was a half a dozen.

I think my dreams of an 8.0 or better may be fading.

FYI, I bought my 3.5 copy from that same seller via eBay. ;)

Within the last six to seven months, he was selling a 2.5 ow-w, 3.0 cr-ow, 3.5 cr-ow, and now a 5.0 ow-w (all blue labels).

As for getting a 8.0+ copy. Unless you've got at least $30K to $40K to spend (if not more these days), chances are your dream will be fading. As we all know by now, Mark recently sold his 9.2 copy for $100K ! :o

If that blue 6.0 copy I see in your signature is yours, be happy with it because it's what many others would dream of owning!

I am happy with my 6.0. Don't get me wrong I am thankful for every book I have. I remember when 20.00 was the max I would pay for a book.

In the case of SC4, this book has been a case of missed oppurtunity and bad decisions for me since 1988. At this point, unless a deal shows up I am done with SC4. I need to move my PLOD which was a holder but I am in no hurry. I am excited to see renewed interest in the book.