• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase #4 Club
12 12

3,405 posts in this topic

just out of curiosity, does anyone have any proof of a PGX blue label getting a CGC purple label?

As Speedy says, I've had collectors tell me yes, though I can't provide you with any specifics details.

I've purchased five PGX books, and the grades were a full 1 to 2 points off on 4 out of the 5 (i.e., I was very disappointed upon cracking the slabs). The fifth book (a GA pedigree, no less) they got exactly right IMHO.

Too much of a gamble to me to risk a PGX.

YMMV.

Thanks Steve - this is real data (statistically signifcant? No. But real data, yes!!)

As a bit of a counterpoint...I bought a few mid grade PGX comics when I first started back up collecting. At one point I cracked them all and ran them through the PGM section here. Everyone pretty much agreed with PGX's grades.

Worst case scenario, the book gets a purple label and trimmed if sent to CGC

Best case scenario, the book gets graded as a 6.0 in a blue label.

. . . which in your best case is a $9,000 +/- book, not $12,500. But I agree that is certainly looks very sharp. Weird that c-link doesn't allow for resubmission to CGC and refund if it comes up restored. I mean they could easily make it conditional to the seller as well. I don't know why they would not want to out the book if it's restored hm It certainly wouldn't do their reputation any good if it ended up being trimmed, or worse. :eek:

Worst case scenario, the book gets a purple label and trimmed if sent to CGC

Best case scenario, the book gets graded as a 6.0 in a blue label.

. . . which in your best case is a $9,000 +/- book, not $12,500. But I agree that is certainly looks very sharp. Weird that c-link doesn't allow for resubmission to CGC and refund if it comes up restored. I mean they could easily make it conditional to the seller as well. I don't know why they would not want to out the book if it's restored hm It certainly wouldn't do their reputation any good if it ended up being trimmed, or worse. :eek:

Actually, I thought that a 6.0 copy would be int he $7000 range +/-. So the current bid is pretty much in par with the fmv price. Book looks great! Looks better than its assigned grade I think. But, as we all know, PGX are not the most reliable graders in the business when it comes to detecting restoration, trimming, etc. Since the book was already graded by a third party, C-Link wouldn't be liable for whatever the book would grade out if re-submitted. I think it's a fair statement to make.

Maybe how I'm reading GPA, but the last sale of a 6.0 was for $9,995 in Dec 2010.

The Savannah copy is a 6.0 and actually sold for a little less, $8,664 in Feb 2011. So a 6.0 is a bit more than $7k.

:news: The asking price on the 7.0 on c-link has been reduced to $11,000. SOLD FOR $9,650

Will anyone dare to venture there given it was graded by the "other guys"? ANYONE HERE GET IT hm

Edited by Bob-a-loo

Looked a lot nicer than a 6.0. If there's no rest or trimming that could be a sweet deal indeed.

I guess that's the risk and the reward.

Heck, the guy in the "crack it baby" thread in general resubbed a PGX book and got a full point and a half higher grade from CGC and no resto so anything's possible.

Looked a lot nicer than a 6.0. If there's no rest or trimming that could be a sweet deal indeed.

I guess that's the risk and the reward.

Heck, the guy in the "crack it baby" thread in general resubbed a PGX book and got a full point and a half higher grade from CGC and no rest, so anything's possible.

Good luck to the buyer :wishluck:

Hope it works out Joey, once I nail down the Avengers 1 4.0 TOS 39 4.0, Hulk 1 4.0 it's time to move over to DC Keys. Showcase 4, 22 and probably Brave and the Bold 28. I am not sure about 105 and GL #1 yet.

Edited by dscott

Hope it works out Joey, once I nail down the Avengers 1 4.0 TOS 39 4.0, Hulk 1 4.0 it's time to move over to DC Keys. Showcase 4, 22 and probably Brave and the Bold 28. I am not sure about 105 and GL #1 yet.
Awesome

You might also want to consider a few other showcase books which I think are keys! And hard to find (6,9 and even 8,13,14,23,24 as secondary appearances of flagh and GL) I'm working on a showcase run now!

Did you happen to snag that 6.0 #14 was listed the other day on clink? It looked quite nice as well and not a bad price either. I was thinking of upgrading my 5.0, but somebody spared me by taking it. So much temptation to buy lately.

yes sir. bought the #8 in 5.5 and the #14 in 6.0....I was going to try to haggle more on the #14, but someone else was bidding with me....they come up so rarely, i figured $1175 was a solid price and for a nicely presenting copy.

still need a #13 though (and #10, #6 and many others).....looking for CGC 5.5-6.5....any ideas?

Just keep your eyes out (shrug) I rarely see them on ebay, more often they pop up on c-link. Like you were in the case of the #14, you got to be fast and decisive, or you're going to lose the book to another buyer. When they're priced right, they seem to go quick.

Guess there's more then a few DC guys left.

DC books rock and are so much harder to find!

:headbang:

'course I like Marvel too!

I agree. I recently started collecting ASMs, and it's not nearly as much fun as looking for DCs. They're everywhere, in any grade you want. If you feel like just spending a bunch of money, you can get a full run in an hour.