• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1 cgc 3.0 in next Comic Connect auction

132 posts in this topic

I don't think too many action 1 or tec 27 can come to market...even one a month pace would easily be absorbed...so 4-5 copies a year is "nothing"

Oh I don't disagree with that statement at all but I much rather see Tec 27's come to market to be honest, Action #1 [or should I say Superman] never did much for me.

Marvel #1 haters have always complianed about MC#1 "fatigue". Not to take away anything away from this auction but I think I'm coming down with Action #1 fatigue.

No comparison. Bid difference between a book that`s featured in just about every auction for the past 5 years and a book that`s featured in a few auctions a year, after several years in which NO copies were up for public auction.

Having said that, I think having a thread in the GA forum and a thread in the General forum devoted to a 3.0 book is a bit much.

Marvel #1 haters have always complianed about MC#1 "fatigue". Not to take away anything away from this auction but I think I'm coming down with Action #1 fatigue.

No comparison. Bid difference between a book that`s featured in just about every auction for the past 5 years and a book that`s featured in a few auctions a year, after several years in which NO copies were up for public auction.

All in due time I suspect.

All in do time I suspect.

If that happens, I`ll be at the head of the line in posting zzz when a new Action is announced. I`m equal opportunity in my willingness to express disdain! :angel:

All in do time I suspect.

If that happens, I`ll be at the head of the line in posting zzz when a new Action is announced. I`m equal opportunity in my willingness to express disdain! :angel:

Stuff like this goes in cycles. I'm sure the Parino purchase of MC#1 flushed out a bunch of copies for sale shortly thereafter just as I'm sure CC's 6.0 sale has done the same. I hope CC rolls one out every auction but I'm already at the meh stage unless its a high grade or pedigree copy. However, it will be fun to speculate where the final price tag ends up. The 2.5 had white pages but tape, this one is a slightly higher grade but a rusted staple.

I think he's correct there are "Marvel 1 haters." For whatever reason, it sometimes goes beyond the price quotes and we have people saying it's not important, not desirable, should be even lower, etc.

I see more people like Tim (and me) who are tired of seeing a copy (or multiple copies) in each auction and wish a few would find permanent homes.

It certainly is important, and desirable, as for even lower... well the price they bring every time have been consistent for quite awhile. The guide realistically should stop having increases on that book until market price catches up to it.

I don't want it to seem like I am singling out this book to pick on from guide prices, as the guide is woefully inaccurate on a great many books (and by it's nature it always will be), but I believe (as bluechip) that it would be relatively easy to have accurate values for the top ten keys since they are so high profile and the prices that people reference again and again.

It really doesn't matter if the guide is off by 30% on Adventures of Bob's Big Boy or some such, but on Marvel #1 and Action #1 it is a little bit more important.

Having said that, I think having a thread in the GA forum and a thread in the General forum devoted to a 3.0 book is a bit much.

If it was a Hulk # 181 Id agree.

Out of curiosity, on average how many Action 1's and Tec 27's sell "behind the scenes" in a given year?

I dont know. I quess thats why they call it behind the scenes.

:roflmao:

Marvel #1 haters - or people who have pointed out actual sales results for Marvel #1?

I think it would take many, many more auctions of Action #1 before it starts regularly bringing 70-80% of guide.

He said he is getting fatigued, not the hobby. Even if he said the market is getting fatigued, why would you assume he is saying a book that sells for 2.5x guide would all of a sudden sell for 70-80%? A more realistic interpretation would be that Action #1 would go for a slightly less multiple then a previous auction. I think that could be a huge blow to the market as this is one book that everyone currently seems to think will go up forever.

Long live Marvel #1 :D

Bruce

Actually, a 3.0 Hulk #181 would merit its own thread. Mainly to conjecture on why the hell anybody would`ve bothered to slab it in that grade.

Actually, a 3.0 Hulk #181 would merit its own thread. Mainly to conjecture on why the hell anybody would`ve bothered to slab it in that grade.

bonus time!

Does anyone have a picture of the Action 1 CGC 2.5 with the piece out? I have heard it is really ugly.
fugly is the word... I think most folks agree that was an "error"...1.5 maybe, IMO

lf.jpg

I think he's correct there are "Marvel 1 haters." For whatever reason, it sometimes goes beyond the price quotes and we have people saying it's not important, not desirable, should be even lower, etc.

I see more people like Tim (and me) who are tired of seeing a copy (or multiple copies) in each auction and wish a few would find permanent homes.

It certainly is important, and desirable, as for even lower... well the price they bring every time have been consistent for quite awhile. The guide realistically should stop having increases on that book until market price catches up to it.

It doesn't sell for guide in high grade. Considering that other Golden Age keys sell for multiple of guide in high grade (which is a feat considering the starting levels), I think Marvel #1 is seriously overvalued in the guide- and I'm not much of a stickler for the absolute number. As we all know, that's not really important. The market will find its dollar value. It's relative value? That's a different story. It's a great, important, book, but it's not more valuable in high grade than Superman #1. None of us have blinked at the rumored $500,000 for Bechara's Superman #1. I think I'd faint if the second or third best Marvel #1 sold for $500k. People here would need to see canceled checks before they'd believe it.

I might be comfortable with it as low as #6 in relative value.

Again. Great book. The fact that it's a cool book shouldn't get in the way of some pretty clear evidence that it's weak as hell relative to other books in its neighborhood.

Does anyone have a picture of the Action 1 CGC 2.5 with the piece out? I have heard it is really ugly.
fugly is the word... I think most folks agree that was an "error"...1.5 maybe, IMO

lf.jpg

I'm not one to go insane over CGC's grades. There are a lot of sticklers out there that go ballistic at any perceived CGC over-grade. I'm not one of them.

That said, I couldn't shut up about how bad this book was. It drove me nuts. It's since been restored, no?

lf.jpg

I'm not one to go insane over CGC's grades. There are a lot of sticklers out there that go ballistic at any perceived CGC over-grade. I'm not one of them.

That said, I couldn't shut up about how bad this book was. It drove me nuts. It's since been restored, no?

actually, it hasn't been restored yet, according to filter81 (he sold the book)... I believe in casual conversation (so don't quote me) he told me the owner still has it "as is" (shrug)

lf.jpg

actually, it hasn't been restored yet, according to filter81 (he sold the book)... I believe in casual conversation (so don't quote me) he told me the owner still has it "as is" (shrug)

What is this book worth today?