• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1 cgc 3.0 in next Comic Connect auction

132 posts in this topic

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

Rick, 1.5? Really that low?

That's a decent back cover, and agreed that that eye appeal is not great but we're talking about a book with an attached cover and 95+ % complete.

I might disagree with you on that.

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

That's a decent back cover, and agreed that that eye appeal is not great but we're talking about a book with an attached cover and 95+ % complete.

that is a BIG piece...5% piece missing is a fr/gd at best, in my book (thumbs u

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

not to mention the friggin toxic looking mold. with the piece missing only I could see a 2.0 maybe since the rest presents so very nicely (ignoring the mold). but with the mold too that just becomes a real paper-bagger and a flat 1.5. and honestly not a strong 1.5 either.

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

I agree with Gator (thumbs u

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

I agree with Richards use of the " (thumbs u "

Since we are already off topic here from the action 1 this thread was about I have an off topic question. So this action1 seems to be a book most regard here as over graded are there any other books floating around out there that you are vastly over graded like this one by opinion?

Since we are already off topic here from the action 1 this thread was about I have an off topic question. So this action1 seems to be a book most regard here as over graded are there any other books floating around out there that you are vastly over graded like this one by opinion?
I suspect this is the only one lol

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

It does have a decent back cover Roy, but the technical grade can't be outweighed by those hard and solid defects. Such a large missing piece like that in conjunction with such wide spread mold make this an excellent example of a solid 1.5 FR/GD. I suspect it'd make a really nice resto candidate given the rest of the book appearing to be solid and intact and simply in need of piece replacement, a good cleaning, and probably staple replacement for what I suspect would be rusty staples.

lf.jpg

lfbc.jpg

I agree with Richards use of the " (thumbs u "

Here's a JIM 83 on ComicLink which has similar chunk missing defect as an Action 1 2.5. Obviously, the JIM 83 has more wear...so we can say the Action 1 is a 1.8 at the best.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Djourney%2B83%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=814731

Interesting. hm Well I do not agree with the 2.5 grade they gave this book , but I usually think cgc is dead on so I will say I can possibly see how they may have given it a 2.5 but its a massive stretch. Frankly a 2.0 would have been a stretch. And the worst part about this chunk is it is an Action 1 missing the part of the cover with the "No. 1" lol. Maybe when it was graded the excitement of the Action 1 overwhelmed the graders. :roflmao:

Interesting. hm Well I do not agree with the 2.5 grade they gave this book , but I usually think cgc is dead on so I will say I can possibly see how they may have given it a 2.5 but its a massive stretch. Frankly a 2.0 would have been a stretch. And the worst part about this chunk is it is an Action 1 missing the part of the cover with the "No. 1" lol. Maybe when it was graded the excitement of the Action 1 overwhelmed the graders. :roflmao:

I greatly respect cgc and all their graders past and present... but, there is, in my opinion, no "valid" reason in my mind (keep in mind, they don't call it GGC=Gator's Grading company) why this book got a 2.5... only Steve or Mark or West etc could give me a valid reason why (and I have never asked, so unlikely I will get an answer)... I simply believe they made a mistake on this one or they know something I don't (I never called for graders notes)...it happens, folks are human...or they could be 100% right and I could be 100% wrong (thumbs u

I really want to know now why the graders gave it a 2.5... So yea it's an Action #1, but all comics should be graded equal
I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you, and take all your Tecs... would not be very nice of me to do that lol

I really want to know now why the graders gave it a 2.5... So yea it's an Action #1, but all comics should be graded equal
I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you, and take all your Tecs... would not be very nice of me to do that lol

(tsk) You may kill me but you can't take my Tecs lol

I greatly respect cgc and all their graders past and present... but, there is, in my opinion, no "valid" reason in my mind (keep in mind, they don't call it GGC=Gator's Grading company) why this book got a 2.5... only Steve or Mark or West etc could give me a valid reason why (and I have never asked, so unlikely I will get an answer)... I simply believe they made a mistake on this one or they know something I don't (I never called for graders notes)...it happens, folks are human...or they could be 100% right and I could be 100% wrong (thumbs u

Between the chunk missing and the nasty looking mold or whatever, I'd give hammer it to a 1.0, but since it's otherwise not that bad, I could see a 1.5 on a good day...

I'm too lazy to search for it, but I recall reading sometime in the past year that Stevie B responded on these boards, indicating that he finalized the 2.5 given on that Action #1 (no surprise) and that in hindsight, he wished he could take back that grade (i.e. it was overgraded). When you finalize as many books as he did, you're going to miss the mark once in a while, even if you're the best in the business. Unfortunately for Steve, one of his rare misses happened on a fugly Action #1.