• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action comics 1 cgc 3.0 in next Comic Connect auction

132 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a picture of the Action 1 CGC 2.5 with the piece out? I have heard it is really ugly.
fugly is the word... I think most folks agree that was an "error"...1.5 maybe, IMO

lf.jpg

I'm not one to go insane over CGC's grades. There are a lot of sticklers out there that go ballistic at any perceived CGC over-grade. I'm not one of them.

That said, I couldn't shut up about how bad this book was. It drove me nuts. It's since been restored, no?

actually, it hasn't been restored yet, according to filter81 (he sold the book)... I believe in casual conversation (so don't quote me) he told me the owner still has it "as is" (shrug)

What is this book worth today?

IMO not the $120K+ metro got for their last 2.5...that book was a beaut (I should have gone after it harder :frustrated: )

I would value it in the 1.5 range, so approx $85-90K (given that the 1.8 sold for 94K)

but I much rather have my 90K restored copy, than that one

action1mark-1.jpg

I think he's correct there are "Marvel 1 haters." For whatever reason, it sometimes goes beyond the price quotes and we have people saying it's not important, not desirable, should be even lower, etc.

I see more people like Tim (and me) who are tired of seeing a copy (or multiple copies) in each auction and wish a few would find permanent homes.

It certainly is important, and desirable, as for even lower... well the price they bring every time have been consistent for quite awhile. The guide realistically should stop having increases on that book until market price catches up to it.

It doesn't sell for guide in high grade. Considering that other Golden Age keys sell for multiple of guide in high grade (which is a feat considering the starting levels), I think Marvel #1 is seriously overvalued in the guide- and I'm not much of a stickler for the absolute number. As we all know, that's not really important. The market will find its dollar value. It's relative value? That's a different story. It's a great, important, book, but it's not more valuable in high grade than Superman #1. None of us have blinked at the rumored $500,000 for Bechara's Superman #1. I think I'd faint if the second or third best Marvel #1 sold for $500k. People here would need to see canceled checks before they'd believe it.

I might be comfortable with it as low as #6 in relative value.

Again. Great book. The fact that it's a cool book shouldn't get in the way of some pretty clear evidence that it's weak as hell relative to other books in its neighborhood.

For some reason the "double feature" debut doesn't help as much as you'd think. Or the fact that it's the first superhero comic by the world's most famous and revered comic brand name. Imagine if the Disney empire had started with a comic book and the first issue had the first appearances of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Does anyone have a picture of the Action 1 CGC 2.5 with the piece out? I have heard it is really ugly.
fugly is the word... I think most folks agree that was an "error"...1.5 maybe, IMO

lf.jpg

Oh man. Wow. That is fugly. I had to check to make sure I was reading it right. I won't doubt CGC but if that is a 2.5 and the front looks like that the interior and back cover must look NM to even it out. lol

lf.jpg

Oh man. Wow. That is fugly. I had to check to make sure I was reading it right. I won't doubt CGC but if that is a 2.5 and the front looks like that the interior and back cover must look NM to even it out. lol

Yeah...I would buy that as a 1.5 copy only. lol

lf.jpg

Yeah at first glance and only this pic I would say no higher than a 1.5 as well. But CGC is usually dead on always - so I'm guessing the interior is much nicer. I just looked at the back cover of the book on ha.com and while the front cover looks about a 1.5 - the back cover does look about a 3.0 maybe 3.5 (maybe) so it could even out to a 2.5 hm

For some reason the "double feature" debut doesn't help as much as you'd think. Or the fact that it's the first superhero comic by the world's most famous and revered comic brand name. Imagine if the Disney empire had started with a comic book and the first issue had the first appearances of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck.

Wouldn't it be more like the first appearances of Goofy and maybe Oswald?

(If it had Cap and Spidey I could relate it to Mickey and Donald.)

lf.jpg

Yeah at first glance and only this pic I would say no higher than a 1.5 as well. But CGC is usually dead on always - so I'm guessing the interior is much nicer. I just looked at the back cover of the book on ha.com and while the front cover looks about a 1.5 - the back cover does look about a 3.0 maybe 3.5 (maybe) so it could even out to a 2.5 hm

hm

lf.jpg

hm

But still if I was in the market for a nearly 100K book I think I would pass on this one. The "No.1" is ripped off (shrug)

you tell me if you like the back cover hm

lfbc.jpg

The back cover is for sure acceptable for a 2.5 grade book. The back looks like it could possibly be a 3.0 and maybe a stretch of a 3.5 on a good day but thats it.

EDIT - added "day" , leaving out words today. lol

lf.jpg

hm

The book is no better than a 1.5 This is certainly one of the cases where you buy the book, not the label.

Heck yeah - that's got to be a solid $20K back cover, right?

Put that with thirty wraps at a 20K each and a front cover for $100K and you'd have a $720,000 book.

Heck yeah - that's got to be a solid $20K back cover, right?

Put that with thirty wraps at a 20K each and a front cover for $100K and you'd have a $720,000 book.

See, here I was thinking a coverless copy was $25-30K based on the Clink sale, plus a front cover for $30-40K and you have a $75-95K book that looks better than the 2.5

I think he's correct there are "Marvel 1 haters." For whatever reason, it sometimes goes beyond the price quotes and we have people saying it's not important, not desirable, should be even lower, etc.

I see more people like Tim (and me) who are tired of seeing a copy (or multiple copies) in each auction and wish a few would find permanent homes.

It certainly is important, and desirable, as for even lower... well the price they bring every time have been consistent for quite awhile. The guide realistically should stop having increases on that book until market price catches up to it.

It doesn't sell for guide in high grade. Considering that other Golden Age keys sell for multiple of guide in high grade (which is a feat considering the starting levels), I think Marvel #1 is seriously overvalued in the guide- and I'm not much of a stickler for the absolute number. As we all know, that's not really important. The market will find its dollar value. It's relative value? That's a different story. It's a great, important, book, but it's not more valuable in high grade than Superman #1. None of us have blinked at the rumored $500,000 for Bechara's Superman #1. I think I'd faint if the second or third best Marvel #1 sold for $500k. People here would need to see canceled checks before they'd believe it.

I might be comfortable with it as low as #6 in relative value.

Again. Great book. The fact that it's a cool book shouldn't get in the way of some pretty clear evidence that it's weak as hell relative to other books in its neighborhood.

The weakness of the book has nothing to do with who`s in it or who`s not in it, or whether it`s Marvel`s first comic or not. It`s a super-important book, there`s no question about it. It`s simply a case of the book being way over-exposed. If 9.0 and 8.5 copies of Action 1 and Detective #27 kept coming up for auction, they`d be worth much less than their current values too.

lf.jpg

I'm not one to go insane over CGC's grades. There are a lot of sticklers out there that go ballistic at any perceived CGC over-grade. I'm not one of them.

That said, I couldn't shut up about how bad this book was. It drove me nuts. It's since been restored, no?

actually, it hasn't been restored yet, according to filter81 (he sold the book)... I believe in casual conversation (so don't quote me) he told me the owner still has it "as is" (shrug)

What is this book worth today?

IMO not the $120K+ metro got for their last 2.5...that book was a beaut (I should have gone after it harder :frustrated: )

I would value it in the 1.5 range, so approx $85-90K (given that the 1.8 sold for 94K)

but I much rather have my 90K restored copy, than that one

action1mark-1.jpg

:cloud9:

Out of curiosity, on average how many Action 1's and Tec 27's sell "behind the scenes" in a given year?

I dont know. I quess thats why they call it behind the scenes.

Thanks for your help!

I quess I was asking too much to think people would keep track of change in ownership of these known copies and not necessarily sales data.

I realize people are overly secretive with sales (go figure as to why, you'd think showing prices realized would be a good way to drive the hobby) but since Action 1 and Detective 27 ownership seems to be a select fraternity, I thought someone out there would surely keep track of who was entering and leaving their ranks.

Out of curiosity, on average how many Action 1's and Tec 27's sell "behind the scenes" in a given year?

I dont know. I quess thats why they call it behind the scenes.

Thanks for your help!

I quess I was asking too much to think people would keep track of change in ownership of these known copies and not necessarily sales data.

I realize people are overly secretive with sales (go figure as to why, you'd think showing prices realized would be a good way to drive the hobby) but since Action 1 and Detective 27 ownership seems to be a select fraternity, I thought someone out there would surely keep track of who was entering and leaving their ranks.

You`re just asking the wrong people. The people on these boards don`t have the level of omniscience that you require.