• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underrated, Overrated, JAR

41 posts in this topic

Underrated: J. O'Barr's Crow work. Beautifully rendered, and gutwrenchingly angst ridden. The distilled essence of pain and loss. Poetry in graphic form.

Honorable mention: Resurrection Man and Young Heroes in Love

Overrated: All Star Batman and Robin. Just a mess. One of the worst books ever. The fact that i bought four issues of this book fills me with shame.

Honorable mention: Anything written by Bendis since 2003, Blockbuster events; Countdown to the House of Infinte Secret Crisis Invasions

JAR: Sandman. Has received heaps and heaps of praise from various sources, and deserves it all. Smart, funny, touching and tragic all at the same time.

Honorable mention: Preacher, Goon

Is All Star Batman and Robin really overrated? I think everyone pretty much agrees that it sucks.

I liked it :sorry:

Not in the "this is the definitive Batman" sense, just in the "this is some FUNNY S#!+" way...

Overrated: 2 for me.

1) Chew. I felt nothing reading the book and it seems the only way for the story to progress was to get more outlandish things for the antagonist to eat. I read the first three issues but really think this is a novel premise with no story.

2) Harbinger.. Just dreadful, I never read these when they were the hot books back in the day but finally got the 1st TPB and I could barely get through the over the top theatrics and really terrible dialogue. Poor mans X-men puberty hi-jinx with some grunge rock angst= attack of the chocolate gremlins from my posterior.

Underrated: 2 for me.

1) Scalped. This is really pure grand storytelling, both brutal and somber, loving and somewhat mystical (in a sense). Every issue seems to go forward, not sideways not backwards but into the great unknown. Almost every character is the underdog be it villain or hero so its easy to empathize with each one. I would say more but I already bore.

2) The Spectre ( Mandrake/Ostrander) I mean the covers alone probably have no peers pound for pound in any comic age. Yes, I just said it. At the time I was all marvel, only marvel and I saw an ad for the Spectre at my shop and it drew me in. The stories were different than the superhero fare that I was really used to reading. The series touched on morals and death, religion and good ol' fashioned vengeance. Worth checking out.

Just about right.

1) The Goon - Loved and deservedly so

2) Sectaurs - What, aren't those toys? Yeah they're toys.

1) Scalped. This is really pure grand storytelling, both brutal and somber, loving and somewhat mystical (in a sense). Every issue seems to go forward, not sideways not backwards but into the great unknown. Almost every character is the underdog be it villain or hero so its easy to empathize with each one. I would say more but I already bore.

Great one there!

And yes, today Harbinger reads like a whiny X-men rip-off.

Great one there!

unfortunately the Solar series by Jim Shooter/Barry Smith work also didn`t age well. just read it, not as good as I remembered it 20 years ago. :(

OVERRATED: The Walking Dead. Really wanted to like this one, but I gave up after reading the first few trades. The writing and art are fine, but the concepts are just so well-trod. How many movies have I seen, and how many books have I read, with variations on the same zombie apocalypse theme? That sub-genre has already been covered in every way possible. I'd love to see some truly original horror in comics, with concepts that haven't already been mined a thousand times already.
You're dead to me :sumo:

Great one there!

unfortunately the Solar series by Jim Shooter/Barry Smith work also didn`t age well. just read it, not as good as I remembered it 20 years ago. :(

Honestly, the only Valiant that re-reads really well for me is Magnus. I thought the first several issues in the 2 trades were excellent when I re-read them a year or two ago. I didn't care for Magnus back in the day, but I think it's pretty good now.

Still, the other valiant stuff is good compared to other early 90s stuff (which isn't saying much).

Underrated = Thieves And Kings. The art of Mouseguard with the writing of Bone. I don't even think this book gets regular distribution anymore but it is very good stuff. I also like to mention Fade From Blue any time this question comes up. Anyone who has not checked it out should give it a try.

Overrated = Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Just right = Funny but this is the hardest question to answer. A lot of what I read is low on the radar, and other stuff I read is the next big thing. I feel a lot of what I read is simply underrated or overrated. Even stuff I like to read sometimes surprises me with how well received it is.

Overrated: Y: The Last Man. I read the first book at the bookstore I worked in, and was not impressed.

Unerrated: Lenore by Roman Dirge. The series is hysterical and a lot of fun to read.

JAR: Blackest Night. Lives up to the hype so far.

I see a few people saying Chew MIGHT be overrated though I agree it's far too early for that. I enjoy it so far but am not floored by it or anything. The story is very ambitious, maybe trying to be different a little too much. I ended up selling my first print #1 but want another now. It's a modern set i'd like to continue reading.

UNDERRATED: Milk and Cheese. I know it isn't a series and a new issue hasn't come out in forever, but it was some of the funniest stuff to ever hit a comics page and I am still floored by how many people haven't read it or even heard of it.

lol Do you have a Milk & Cheese tattoo? You should. Based on your numerous mentions, I read some of it last year. Didn't do much for me.

Like I said, I tried to send a Milk and Cheese drawn envelope to Wizard in the early 90s. Honestly, I think that's the last time I've even thought of that series in 15 years. I wonder why I choose that to draw?? It must of been because it easy to draw lol

It's so 90s!!!

Everyone around here always shats all over 90s drek, but they forget for people in their 20s, the 90s were an important time. I'm 27 years old so the 90s are nostalgic for me. Foil and holographic covers were SO cool when I was 12 years old lol Obviously I can look back now and realize how crappy most of it really was though. But still, when I read the Death of Superman, all of my friends did as well and at the time it was amazing to us!

The only 90s nostalgia for me though is Bone. I still love it!