• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recycling and comics

38 posts in this topic

Recently I had to admit something to myself; I’m not very good at recycling. Specifically in returning bottles for the deposit. It is something I just do not like doing, I hate the way it always seems like there is the creepiest people :pullhair: in front of you when you bring you empties back to the store, and the smell… stale pop and beer. I simply need more motivation than $.05 or the knowledge that I’m helping the environment.

:idea:I thought I might be motivated to save recycling money and put it toward a comic, mad money in a way. Think I thought it might be fun to expand this…

So I’m proposing a competition (based on the honor system)

Here are the rules: this should be simple…

The “best comic” purchased by the end of the year using only money obtained by recycling (all forms of recycling, bottle returns, metal sold as scrap, etc)

An independent judge(s) (AKA board members who are not in the contest) will judge at the end of the year

Start date is March 1st

Winner receives bragging rights until he/she is dethroned and the knowledge that they helped the environment and the preservation of a little bit of Americana.

Who is in? :banana:

So your going to crush beer cans and strip siding off people's garages to pay for comics ?

I'm going to rob construction sites, and I hear they pay good money for copper, watch out power company, here I come :devil: .

I thought this was going to be about recycling comics. Every time I'm at a convention and see a box of books (mostly from the 1990s) priced at 10 cents each, I think, "Those books would be better off in the recycle bin."

there is an elderly chinese lady who goes through all the recycling containers is my neighborhood. i suspect she is a grandmom who lives around me and maybe doesn't have much to do during the day or is the mother of some business owner around me and she has time to kill during the day. i don't think she is homeless or needs the money to eat, but i might be wrong. i think she just figures she needs to be industrious. she picks me clean. i don't mind, as she is neat and doesn't disrespect my garbage cans and what not, just picks out the good stuff, doesn't make a mess.

so....the 75 cents a week or whatever I'd get out of this, I'm happy for her to have. i suppose if i was drinking cases of diet coke and beer it could add up though.

I have been recycling for years. just had it ingrained as a way of life from back in High School. There was a time when they would pay enough for newspaper that it was even worth it to recycle those.

I currently get cash for bottles and cans to the tune of about $100 per year, but those include the output of my office which I bring home as well.

I used to collect the bottles on the way home from grade school. back then the stores would pay .03 per bottle and I if I found 6 i could turn them in for a comic and a nickle candy bar.

The bar I help run for the non profit youth organization we belong to we sort all the cans, boottle, etc. The cans we keep in a seperate can for the homeless guy on the block . He takes it and Im sure appreciates the $ he gets from it. Saves me the time of cleaning u all the trash that will be on the ground if they tear into the bags in the dumpster.

Here in VA we don't have deposits on cans, so we just recycle for free. But this contest has got me thinking. Perhaps I should take a mail truck full of cans up to Michigan....

Can't you crush them and sell them for scrap metal? The only reason we pay a deposit is to keep people from tossing them on the side of the road.

Back in the day before Michigan passed the deposit law I used to crush all the aluminum beer and soda cans (to save space) and at the time aluminum scrap sold for 10 cents a pound. Heh, now it's ten cents a CAN!

I should warn folks against dragging that pickup load of empties to Michigan however, there are laws on the books against buying stuff in deposit cans in a nondeposit state and turning them over in a deposit state. Just so you all know....

Can you do it? If the cans are marked with the deposit for a state will the state outlets receive them and pay out? Well, I have friends in Illinois and Indiana that visit here occasionally, so I'd better plead the Fifth, lol

Being a plumber by training I've been recycling scrap copper and lead for decades, right now is a great time to sell copper, the market is up! Other metals that can be sold at the local junk yard: cast iron, steel, bronze and brass, lead including old batteries, stainless steel, etc etc. The trick is to keep everything well sorted and cleaned. If you're selling mixed metal you don't get much but if you have a clean pile of aluminum, and a clean pile of red brass, and a clean pile of stainless steel, and a clean pile of copper, the bucks can add up very nicely.

I tried that once a few years back, brought all of my cans from NY and cash them in MI enroute to Chicago.

The machine took most of them. Those barcode readers are pretty smart though. I purchased a soda in Canada on the way thru. The machine recognized that it was from out of the country. Different barcodes I guess.

Didn't stop me though. Just brought it right up to customer service and they gave me my shiny dime. Saved all of that money and bought cheap gas in Indiana.

hahaha

I'm into this game. We have a soda machine at work and keep a recycling bin in the breakroom... I wonder......

Where I live, the city picks up the recyclable materials twice a month, but we don't get money for it...

What about re-claimed lumber? That's recycling, and I know of an old house in the woods that has some great 12"+ boards that might bring some good money, if I could figure out how to get it out of a couple miles of woods...

-slym