• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing the Comic Book Collecting Association!

669 posts in this topic

We are happy to announce a new collectors and dealers association -- the Comic Book Collecting Association (http://www.ComicCollecting.org)

The CBCA is for comic book collectors and dealers with a common goal: promote fellowship, education and ethics within the comic book collecting community. Our success is contingent on the interest and participation of a membership in agreement with these goals and the Association’s common-sense Code of Ethics.

The CBCA is for new collectors looking for opportunities to network and learn, as well as more seasoned collectors looking to assist with member events and help shape the direction of the hobby. In any case, CBCA membership should be fun and rewarding!

We are also incredibly excited to announce the official formation of a Board of Advisors, which features some of the most well known names within and around our community. From prominent dealers to industry executives to comic pros, the Board of Advisors is composed of individuals who have expressed a desire to associate and assist with our new effort, and provide valuable guidance as to how the CBCA can best serve the community.

Doug Braithwaite, Comic book artist

Dan Cusimano, Flying Donut Trading Company

Steve Eichenbaum, CEO CGC

Danny Fingeroth, Writer, Historian, former Marvel Editor

Jamie Graham, Graham Cracker Comics

Tracey Heft, Restoration Expert

John Haines, Rare Comics

Dave Kapelka, North Coast Nostalgia

John Jackson Miller, Comic book and game writer

Josh Nathanson, ComicLink

James Payette, Rare Books and Comics

Brian Peets, A-1 Comics

Dave Reynolds, Dave's American Comics

Wayne Smith, VP Warner Bros. Entertainment

John K. Snyder Jr., former President, Geppi's Entertainment Publishing & Auctions

Jim Steranko, Comic book writer, artist, historian

Bob Storms, High Grade Comics

Doug Sulipa, Comic World

Ted Van Liew, Superworld Comics

J.C. Vaughn, Executive Editor, Associate Publisher for Gemstone Publishing

Joe Vereneault, JHV Associates

Vincent Zurzolo, Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.

We are also very pleased to welcome the “first” new CBCA member: George Pantela of GPAnalysis.com. We envision a very strong partnership in the coming days and truly look forward to having George work with us to support our Mission.

As a bit of background, the CBCA has evolved from the former Network of Disclosure. Last December, the group’s members approved by ballot the formation of the new group, mission and code of ethics. The notion of disclosure, transparency and ethical practices are at the core of CBCA, but overall, CBCA is a more rounded organization. Ideally, the CBCA’s expanded focus will be more inviting to collectors and dealers alike.

We hope that you take a look at the CBCA and consider joining. You can learn more at http://www.ComicCollecting.org.

As a special promotion to celebrate our launch, we are offering a FREE 1 YEAR MEMBERSHIP to the first 25 people who submit a membership application. Visit http://www.ComicCollecting.org to submit an application.

Thanks!

The CBCA Leadership

Board seems heavily skewed to dealers and industry insiders as opposed to collectors. I would think that collectors would be an important contigent (if not the most important). Seems to me it's collectors that most need the voice that this type of organization could provide.

It is true that the Board of Advisors are mostly dealers. However, most of CBCA members are collectors, including myself. We would consider any collector who wants to be on the Board of Advisors. :)

We are happy to announce a new collectors and dealers association -- the Comic Book Collecting Association (http://www.ComicCollecting.org)

The CBCA is for comic book collectors and dealers with a common goal: promote fellowship, education and ethics within the comic book collecting community. Our success is contingent on the interest and participation of a membership in agreement with these goals and the Association’s common-sense Code of Ethics.

The CBCA is for new collectors looking for opportunities to network and learn, as well as more seasoned collectors looking to assist with member events and help shape the direction of the hobby. In any case, CBCA membership should be fun and rewarding!

We are also incredibly excited to announce the official formation of a Board of Advisors, which features some of the most well known names within and around our community. From prominent dealers to industry executives to comic pros, the Board of Advisors is composed of individuals who have expressed a desire to associate and assist with our new effort, and provide valuable guidance as to how the CBCA can best serve the community.

Doug Braithwaite, Comic book artist

Dan Cusimano, Flying Donut Trading Company

Steve Eichenbaum, CEO CGC

Danny Fingeroth, Writer, Historian, former Marvel Editor

Jamie Graham, Graham Cracker Comics

Tracey Heft, Restoration Expert

John Haines, Rare Comics

Dave Kapelka, North Coast Nostalgia

John Jackson Miller, Comic book and game writer

Josh Nathanson, ComicLink

James Payette, Rare Books and Comics

Brian Peets, A-1 Comics

Dave Reynolds, Dave's American Comics

Wayne Smith, VP Warner Bros. Entertainment

John K. Snyder Jr., former President, Geppi's Entertainment Publishing & Auctions

Jim Steranko, Comic book writer, artist, historian

Bob Storms, High Grade Comics

Doug Sulipa, Comic World

Ted Van Liew, Superworld Comics

J.C. Vaughn, Executive Editor, Associate Publisher for Gemstone Publishing

Joe Vereneault, JHV Associates

Vincent Zurzolo, Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.

We are also very pleased to welcome the “first” new CBCA member: George Pantela of GPAnalysis.com. We envision a very strong partnership in the coming days and truly look forward to having George work with us to support our Mission.

As a bit of background, the CBCA has evolved from the former Network of Disclosure. Last December, the group’s members approved by ballot the formation of the new group, mission and code of ethics. The notion of disclosure, transparency and ethical practices are at the core of CBCA, but overall, CBCA is a more rounded organization. Ideally, the CBCA’s expanded focus will be more inviting to collectors and dealers alike.

We hope that you take a look at the CBCA and consider joining. You can learn more at http://www.ComicCollecting.org.

As a special promotion to celebrate our launch, we are offering a FREE 1 YEAR MEMBERSHIP to the first 25 people who submit a membership application. Visit http://www.ComicCollecting.org to submit an application.

Thanks!

The CBCA Leadership

Board seems heavily skewed to dealers and industry insiders as opposed to collectors. I would think that collectors would be an important contigent (if not the most important). Seems to me it's collectors that most need the voice that this type of organization could provide.

We want this to be a 50/50. The CBCA is set up to be useful to both dealers and collectors as there is benefits for anyone who wants to be part.

If you are a beginning collector, it’s an opportunity to learn and network. For more seasoned collectors, it’s an opportunity to perhaps lead a project and help shape the future of the hobby. Want to work on a pedigree provenance project? Want to lead a project to recommend auction house standards? Want to participate in Grading Workshops? You can do all of these things under the CBCA banner.

For only $20 a year, you can be a member of an official not-for-profit organization dedicated to ensuring the long term health of the hobby, as well as having lots of fun along the way.

If you are a beginning collector, it’s an opportunity to learn and network. For more seasoned collectors, it’s an opportunity to perhaps lead a project and help shape the future of the hobby. Want to work on a pedigree provenance project? Want to lead a project to recommend auction house standards? Want to participate in Grading Workshops? You can do all of these things under the CBCA banner.

For only $20 a year, you can be a member of an official not-for-profit organization dedicated to ensuring the long term health of the hobby, as well as having lots of fun along the way.

Do I hear an echo? :shy:

Member benefits:

* CBCA Newsletter

* Member discounts

* Member events

* Free members selling forum

No offense, but I doubt that codfish was asking for both you & Mr. Zipper to re-post the exact copy that's on your website doh!

As a collector who's never been a member of NOD, I'm interested in having this question answered as well - what exactly is that you're hoping to do? How will it benefit me as a collector? I mean, your talking posts include "member discounts" - member discounts on what exactly?

Can I start a workshop on fashion lessons to improve the perception of the hobby?

:insane:

No..

Funny, I considered you as the first client.

lol

The CBCA Leadership

Well since they just got started I'd say they are off to a fantastic start. If the list was made up of a bunch of little known collectors would anyone even pay attention to this annoucement? I expect that once people see who is on the list membership will begin to grow in leaps and bounds.

Do I hear an echo? :shy:

lol This was posted on our forum.

I added this:

Member benefits:

* CBCA Newsletter

* Member discounts

* Member events

* Free members selling forum

Can I start a workshop on fashion lessons to improve the perception of the hobby?

:insane:

No..

Funny, I considered you as the first client.

lol

Interesting, I was thinking I could give you a new haircut.. Something not 1982

(tsk)

The CBCA Leadership

Well since they just got started I'd say they are off to a fantastic start. If the list was made up of a bunch of little known collectors would anyone even pay attention to this annoucement? I expect that once people see who is on the list membership will begin to grow in leaps and bounds.

It is important to remember that we are just getting started. This is a new organisation with a goal of providing services to the comic collecting community and enhancing everyone's collecting experience. We haven't been around for more than 100 years like the coin collectors society.

As mentioned before, we want to know what the collecting community would like from us. The Board of Advisors is there to help with advice on this matter as well. Hopefully members on these boards will be able to give us some great ideas as well. If people want to join now and influence the future of the CBCA that is great, if you prefer to wait and see how things work out that is also great.

Mike

Not so much a gripe as an observation, the membership involvement for a UK member would be very limited really.
Actually UK members would be great as we have nobody on the ground floor there. We could use some people on the other side of the pond.

Just an FYI -- you've got two different registration areas: the main "Application" form, and the forum registration. It's not really clear that you only need to fill out one of these. They appear to be separate things, with separate registration.

I submitted the "Application", and when I went to sign up for the forum and it said that my email address was already in use. So I used my other email for the forum. Now I've submitted two account registrations. doh!

That's OK. I can use the second account as my shill account.