• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has the best variant covers Marvel or DC?

39 posts in this topic

Getting back to MARVEL or DC variants...

I would say that Marvel takes the more comical approach and sometimes that can be pretty cool, like the 1 in 200 Hulk/Deadpool covers.

DC does a nice job on the iconic type variants. The ones that make you want to actually purchase, like the Green Lantern type variants that have been coming out recently...

Getting back to MARVEL or DC variants...

I would say that Marvel takes the more comical approach and sometimes that can be pretty cool, like the 1 in 200 Hulk/Deadpool covers.

DC does a nice job on the iconic type variants. The ones that make you want to actually purchase, like the Green Lantern type variants that have been coming out recently...

I didn't think of that hm

again, I have to agree. I'm a HUGE Deadpool nerd, but I've only been picking up a few of the Deadpool variants that really strike a chord with me, whereas I've picked up almost every single Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corp variants during the Blackest Night run. They just catch the eye with their imagery and actually relate to the story taking place inside the cover.

With most of the Marvel variants (themed variants for the month) they usually wind up in a comic collecting just the covers anyways taking away a huge incentive to me to pick them up.

again, I have to agree. I'm a HUGE Deadpool nerd, but I've only been picking up a few of the Deadpool variants that really strike a chord with me, whereas I've picked up almost every single Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corp variants during the Blackest Night run. They just catch the eye with their imagery and actually relate to the story taking place inside the cover.

With most of the Marvel variants (themed variants for the month) they usually wind up in a comic collecting just the covers anyways taking away a huge incentive to me to pick them up.

That's why I don't buy every Wolverine variant cover they put out.

I'm a die hard Wolverine fan,but I don't buy every variant cover b/c they don't strike a chord to me,so I just buy the ones that I really like.

I prefer the dc variants, but I'm more of a dc fan overall. The gl variants are some of the nicest I've seen, I just wish they'd put out less so I didn't have to track so many down. Also notice the the gl variants stay even priced for awhile, and sometimes go up, compared to other books I've looked into

I prefer the dc variants, but I'm more of a dc fan overall. The gl variants are some of the nicest I've seen, I just wish they'd put out less so I didn't have to track so many down. Also notice the the gl variants stay even priced for awhile, and sometimes go up, compared to other books I've looked into
I've notice that too hm

Neither.

Variants should be special/unique. Nothing aggravates me more than a variant that looks like any other cover.

Spider-man is a good example of both. This is sick/unique:

amazing-spider-man-595-adi-granov-variant1.jpg

But for each good one, there are a ton of awful ones.

I'm not sure DC is much better. Even with the GL covers. Granted, some are good. But most are not special. Too many plays on Hal Jordan with different covers.

Something like this interests me much more:

gl_corps_41.jpg

It's about great color usage, simplistic/artistic covers, unique takes on a character, oddball artists, etc.

I have to argue about the 70th Anniversary covers too. By large, I agree that they were disappointing. But some were pretty good. I enjoyed the DD cover, the Luke Cage cover, the Punisher cover, and I'm sure there are a few more.

Pat

I agree, I wish they would stop putting out a variant for nearly ever book in a run. I would rather see a variant every 25-50 issues and have it actually be amazing. I think dc would see their order numbers raise consistently if they did 50/50 covers rather then 1:25 etc. I'm betting that I would put in a standing pull for both covers with my LCS. I would also be more willing to pay larger amounts of cash for actual rarer variants, like GL 9 variant, which I haven't been able to get my hands on yet. That was actually a very mice cover and would make me want to buy the issue even if I wasn't a gl fan because batman looks awesome w/ a power ring.

I am also not a fan of when variants give away key scenes in the book, like one on the BN variants has a picture and word bubble tell batman to rise. That would've spoiled the issue for me

What good is this thread without some more images? Post some pic! :popcorn:

That Spider-man cover is awesome, what issue is it?

If you are referring to the Spider-man from my post, it is Spider-man 595. It's probably one of my favs.

I actually like the Green Goblin variant they did in the same area (though not as much).

Pat

Image.

(thumbs u

I am really getting to the point of just going with Image Comics. Marvel is really slipping and for some reason never been a huge DC fan. I think Image is the best right now and they rarely have Variants. I still dont get the Variants can any one please explain why they do if besides the extra money.