• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Quarterly #2

19 posts in this topic

In conjunction with the announcement of the Comic Book Collecting Association, the second edition of Comic Book Quarterly is also being published. As I mentioned with the first edition, we are always looking for people who would like to contribute material. Particularly, given that the OSPG will be late this year, we would like to include market reports in the next edition (due to be published in April). Please let me know if you would like to contribute.

Enjoy,

Mike

CBQ2Final-1.jpg

CBQ2Final-2.jpg

CBQ2Final-3.jpg

Okay couple of comments/questions:

Why break up the articles?

When I came to the part where there was all the members stuff it sort of seemed like the end until you get over to the right hand column then it starts again. I don't think the Quarterly is long enough to validate breaking up the flow unless you really think that no one is going to delve deeper in. Personally, I have never like such formats.

Why three columns?

I think you could do two or even forget columns altogether. Three doesn't work well especially if you group images in bunches. Again when I got to the latter sections the the way images were laid out broke up the flow badly. I think if you want to go with three columns you should consider breaking up the images instead of having them in blocks ... or just have less images.

I would put all member sponsoring member stuff and other such credit either all at the end or create a cover, index, and credit page(s) at the beginning.

Just some thoughts. The first one flowed well this one ... not so much, but the content is good.

Okay couple of comments/questions:

Why break up the articles?

When I came to the part where there was all the members stuff it sort of seemed like the end until you get over to the right hand column then it starts again. I don't think the Quarterly is long enough to validate breaking up the flow unless you really think that no one is going to delve deeper in. Personally, I have never like such formats.

Why three columns?

I think you could do two or even forget columns altogether. Three doesn't work well especially if you group images in bunches. Again when I got to the latter sections the the way images were laid out broke up the flow badly. I think if you want to go with three columns you should consider breaking up the images instead of having them in blocks ... or just have less images.

I would put all member sponsoring member stuff and other such credit either all at the end or create a cover, index, and credit page(s) at the beginning.

Just some thoughts. The first one flowed well this one ... not so much, but the content is good.

Thanks for the input as I'm learning on the fly. I was trying to keep from starting articles in the middle of pages so when I got the end of the last full page I jumped what was left to the end, but maybe that was a mistake. The three columns is just random and could be any other format. I was thinking about an index and will look at that in more detail for the next issue.

Any other comments are appreciated.

Mike

I need to get off my butt and begin doing some submissions to organizations like this and Scoop. lol

Seriously, great product here! Only suggestion I'd make is to put out a CFP (Call for Papers) next time you're prepping for publication of #3 as it might help take some of the pressure off you to write as much. Some journals only take submissions from members, others have an open door policy--your call. Anyhow, I'd be open to trying to put something together as well. March is a "project" month for me, so let me know! :)

We are open to submissions from anyone who would like to contribute. Anything comic related could possibly be accepted. Topics concerning the history of comics, fandom and restoration are always interesting. If someone would like to submit a review of a series or an interview with a comic personality it would be great. The focus of the next issue will be market reports and anyone interested in producing one should contact me. Other topics will also be considered.

Mike