• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Help - I got a counterfeit Item from ebay seller

20 posts in this topic

I won an auction from an UK Seller, the item I bought was the Beatles Stereo Box. I paid 130 Euros via PayPal and received the Box today. I'm 100% certain that it's a cheap counterfeit Box. I check some Forums where this version is described and my Box has all the characteristics from the counterfeit version. So I opened a dispute on PayPal. My Question: Is this enough to geht my money back? Any other disputes (maybe on ebay) I have to think of?

This really sucks. I bought the Box as a birthday present for a friend of mine. His birthday is on Sunday :sorry:

Thanks for your help!!!

A shame you'll have to return it and pay the return shipping out of your own pocket.

You'll have nothing to show for the money you spent, when you did nothing wrong.

And the seller gets the item back to scam someone else...maybe even for more money.

Such a shame.

Not to poo on the UK as I have a few really close English friends....

But when I was into vintage Star Wars action figures, it seemed a lot of the resealed bubbles and fake weapons and capes came from the UK. Is counterfeiting big over there or something??

I know there are scum bags everywhere though.

A shame you'll have to return it and pay the return shipping out of your own pocket.

You'll have nothing to show for the money you spent, when you did nothing wrong.

And the seller gets the item back to scam someone else...maybe even for more money.

Such a shame.

Exactly! But I also reported the auction to ebay, I hope they do something about the seller.

And a hint for tracking for paypal purposes...you pretty much have to REGISTER it...(a hint is that its very expensive shipping).

If he didn't register it then you could just say you didn't get it and file a dispute. If its counterfeit it really is not worth sending back anyway and saves you the trouble.

I told the seller that he should refund the money and then I will send him the box. He refunded the money today! Does he have any option to undo this or is the money safe now on my account?

It really is a shame that I have to send him the counterfeit back on my expenses. He registered the package, so I can't say I didn't get it. But as far as I know, counterfeit products have to be destroyed, that's what the law is saying. So shouldn't it be possible to not send it back, with the approval of ebay???

good comics general thread.

The avatar is `comic related'. (shrug) that counts doesn't it?

dont listen to him, you said that it was OT in the title. people just like to poke fun for their own sick enjoyment... as it seems they aren't getting enough in their life already

IIRC ebay does not require return of counterfeit items to sellers.

They actually ask buyers to destroy counterfeit items and will refund their money entirely.

I always wondered how they determine that buyers have the expertise to determine counterfeits. Regardless, I would not spend significant money returning this item before contacting ebay. Worst case scenario they ask you to get an "experts" opinion.

One other thing of note, I find it odd that the seller of the item would refund so quickly, because I doubt that many are aware of this policy. It is possible that he knew it was a counterfeit anyway and is hoping to get get it back, rather than destroyed.

more than likely if you return it, paypal will side with you...just make sure you return it with tracking info!

CRITICAL!!! Otherwise you won't get your money back through PayPal and likely will be out the book as well.

IIRC ebay does not require return of counterfeit items to sellers.

They actually ask buyers to destroy counterfeit items and will refund their money entirely.

I always wondered how they determine that buyers have the expertise to determine counterfeits. Regardless, I would not spend significant money returning this item before contacting ebay. Worst case scenario they ask you to get an "experts" opinion.

One other thing of note, I find it odd that the seller of the item would refund so quickly, because I doubt that many are aware of this policy. It is possible that he knew it was a counterfeit anyway and is hoping to get get it back, rather than destroyed.

I'm sure that he knew, because he is still selling them. I checked his feedback again, this time a poor Italian buyer got tricked. I just contacted him.

1. How can I stop this seller?

2. How can I contact ebay to get their OK, that I don't have to return the box?