• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When does the Bronze Age end?

49 posts in this topic

As I've mentioned in numerous other threads, we've had a discussion going for over a year now, which we really touched upon solidly in the last Overstreet Guide with an article that announced our intention to establish - at least as far as our book was concerned - where things stand in the whole Age range to date. As a result, we've had tons of responses from dealers to collectors to historians, and when the new Guide arrives (#34) in a few months' time, this and many other Age related questions will be answered - but again, only insofar as Overstreet presents it. There is of course always room for people to disagree and have their own opinions, although the Age dates we're establishing in #34 are the result of quite a large number of people offering their considerably detailed feedback. I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Arnold

893whatthe.gif

Get ready for the riot, Arnold.

I'm sure it will [!@#%^&^] 90% of the people off no matter when OS rules it to be over.

tonofbricks.gif

Whatever you folks do...Please don't revolve the modern age around the rise and fall of Rob Liefeld.

gossip.gif

Why 1979?

Well no one has really agreed on any defining moments that ended the bronze age.

Usually a new age is determined by some sort of historic event. The beginning of the modern age doesn't really have a clear cut begining like the Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Its just been the accepted (or not so accepted) cut off date given for the last 15 years or so.

Some people continue to dispute it. confused-smiley-013.gif

According to an old Wizard I just re-read yesterday.....Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars signalled the end of the Bronze Age.

According to an old Wizard I just re-read yesterday.....Marvel Superheroes Secret Wars signalled the end of the Bronze Age.

If you're serious, I've just lost all respect I had for you.

sorry.gif

sorry.gif

frown.gif

Don't frown. I didn't have much to lose.

stooges.gif

I believe if you look in Wizard they state that the Bronze age ended in 1979, but I'll double check.

The Wizard I read did a brief summary of the different ages....and concluded that SW started the era of crossovers...and signaled the end of the Bronze Age.

Keep in mind, we are talking about Wizard.

sorry.gif

frown.gif

Don't frown. I didn't have much to lose.

stooges.gif

mad.gif

I thought that was the Foil Age.

Whatever you folks do...Please don't revolve the modern age around the rise and fall of Rob Liefeld.

No, that would be the Brass Age.

We've already determined that the "CleavAge" is the proper term for this period.

Chris

We've already determined that the "CleavAge" is the proper term for this period.

Chris

Didn't that CleavAge start with Spider-man/Black Cat #1? confused-smiley-013.gif

You know, with all of the polybagged issues and superhuman breasts in the books during that time, maybe a good name would be the Plastic Age. Works on both counts. thumbsup2.gif

Chris

I've been saying for years that I think that the age after Bronze began with Secret Wars and Crisis in 1984/5. Both are prime examples of the revisionism and gimmickry that dominates the next 14 years of comics publishing.

BTW IMO Most comic ages last 14 years.

Gold 1939-53 (1: Action #1)

Silver 1956-mid-1970 (1: Showcase #4)

Bronze Late 1970-1984 (1: Conan #1)

Copper 1984-1998 (1: Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #1)

Modern 1998-on (1: DD Vol. 2 #1)

Kev

I kind of like the idea of Secret Wars and Crisis being the start of the next age and signifying the end of the Bronze Age. These certainly seem to me to be the two big things at Marvel and DC that signified major changes in the way they did stories (for Marvel, the beginning of the neverending crossovers and gimmicks, and for DC, the end of the multiple realities and the beginning of a new continuity). You know, I've never actually read Crisis. Is it worth it? (Non-DC junkies only reply please -- not because I don't trust DC junkies, but because I already know what their answers will be.)

BTW, another thing that happened around this time that was a major occurrence (but which no one talks about anymore) was Marvel's New Universe. I don't think it had anywhere near the impact of Secret Wars or Crisis, but it was a whopper of an event at the time.

I've been saying for years that I think that the age after Bronze began with Secret Wars and Crisis in 1984/5. Both are prime examples of the revisionism and gimmickry that dominates the next 14 years of comics publishing.

BTW IMO Most comic ages last 14 years.

Gold 1939-53 (1: Action #1)

Silver 1956-mid-1970 (1: Showcase #4)

Bronze Late 1970-1984 (1: Conan #1)

Copper 1984-1998 (1: Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #1)

Modern 1998-on (1: DD Vol. 2 #1)

Kev

I've been saying for years that I think that the age after Bronze began with Secret Wars and Crisis in 1984/5.

I don't think too many people would disagree with this statement, but from a "comics era" standpoint, I don't see the Bronze Age continuing into 1984-85.

I know it's a fine line, but at least with Marvel, there was a "tweener" area where nothing but crapola poured out. It might have also been during the Stan Lee to Jim Shooter torch-passing.