• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic dealers do you stay away from?

164 posts in this topic

Neat stuff may pay $30,000 for an ad but they sure don't know how to grade comics!!!!!!!!!!

I stay away from Richard Muchin at shows. I don't care what he is selling and how bad I need it. He doesnt put prices on his comics and when you ask him how much something is, he gets an attitude.

Terry O'neil may be an Overstreet advisor but he sold me two books through his catalog that were restored and he didnt indicate it and when I have seen him at shows, he has an attitude too. Is it really that hard to be a nice guy and sell comics?

I stay away from Richard Muchin at shows. I don't care what he is selling and how bad I need it. He doesnt put prices on his comics and when you ask him how much something is, he gets an attitude.
Isn't he tomorrowtreasures on ebay? I hear he throws thing at customers as well. I purchased a raw VF+ from him, and it was only a 6.0 He got angry when I told him about it.

Isn't he tomorrowtreasures on ebay? I hear he throws thing at customers as well. I purchased a raw VF+ from him, and it was only a 6.0 He got angry when I told him about it.

To be fair, you should know that a 6.0 isn't a VF+......did you buy it in hand or did you order it online? Angry Dealers :cloud9: kind of like the owners from Tabitha's salon takeover :lol:

To be fair, you should know that a 6.0 isn't a VF+......did you buy it in hand or did you order it online? Angry Dealers :cloud9: kind of like the owners from Tabitha's salon takeover :lol:

From ebay! I made a wide swing around his booth last year at the NYCC.

From ebay! I made a wide swing around his booth last year at the NYCC.

Ok, I won't heckle you any more....ebay fodder.

lol At WW Chicago last year, Graham Crackers' books had such a strong musty odor, you could find their booth with your eyes closed. They set me allergies off and I avoided them and anyone within three booths of them!

Is Terry O'Neil the Terry from Terry's Comics? I've had good experiences with the latter if they're two different people.

I stay away from Tomorrow's Treasures. Very little (if any) customer service and I don't like the idea that he qualifies certain types of restoration (as defined by CGC, which, for better or worse, is the industry standard) as "conservation." He may say it's conservation and not restoration, but if the book is going to end up in a purple holder, it's restoration in my opinion.

Oh and I forgot about my homey from Maryland, Al Stoltz, Basement comics. 15 years ago at a local convention in Maryland, I had a table. I was only 22 years old and I was only selling about 300 comics but they were good comics, many of them rare golden age so Al had a table set up too and came over and looked at my wall of comics and said, "You have some really nice stuff here, you should blow it out at 60% off." So I said, "What are you the wise guy of comics?" I find it ironic that he said I should mark everything 60% off when all he does is sell his stuff for a billion times over guide and then BRAGS about it in his market report in Overstreet. This guy is a piece of work.

Milehighcomics. I used to live in Colorado a long time ago and I did a bunch of business with milehighcomics in their local stores. And through the stores I bought many items off their website and had it sent to a local store for me to pick up. Now being a more seasoned collector I look back and see that most of the books I bought from them were over graded and I over paid on a bunch of them. It really makes me mad now.

Ted from Superworld, when I was 16 or so I got something from them through CBG, no ebay then, it was a Sub-Mariner something or other, in the 30 range for less than a 100 bucks. Way, way overgraded. Sent it back, no problem. A week later I get a package from them. Same book! He said I switched out copies, that wasn't the one he sent me. Wouldn't take or return any of my calls. I've seen him over and over through the years, just want to rip that dudes heart out. Luckily I've chilled through the years too.

On a kinder, gentler note, there are some guys that are just way over the top for me, Mike Carbonaro for instance, like the guy but I can't keep up with him, my mind just goes to overload. Jamie Graham'll give you about five seconds worth of attention unless he sees hundred dollar bills dropping out of your pocket. Other guys are just so high priced it doesn't do any good to stop by so I keep on cruisin.

I've read it on here before and I'm assuming there's always someone out there to pay what they're asking but $25 off on a thousand dollar book (just an example) is more of a slap in the face than a discount.

My list is probably longer with the guys I do like.

With few exceptions, before CGC but using today's CGC standards, most dealers overgraded. A VF+ purchased in the mid-90's has a good chance of now being only a 6.0. On the other hand, before CGC, there were no degrees of Near Mint.

A 9.8 purchased in the mid-90's probably went for top guide (9.4 price) thus you can say many dealers also undergraded.

My problem today is with the dealers that did not adjust to CGC standards and still overgrade. These are usually the old time dealers that only deal in raw.

Bob Beerbohm, Ted from Superworld, Muchkin, etc. I feel more comfortable buying from dealers that use CGC and submit books as they usually grade better.

Ted from Superworld, when I was 16 or so I got something from them through CBG, no ebay then, it was a Sub-Mariner something or other, in the 30 range for less than a 100 bucks. Way, way overgraded. Sent it back, no problem. A week later I get a package from them. Same book! He said I switched out copies, that wasn't the one he sent me. Wouldn't take or return any of my calls. I've seen him over and over through the years, just want to rip that dudes heart out. Luckily I've chilled through the years too.

Pretty surprised by this. I traded a couple of books to Ted at WW Chicago a few years back for a Red Dragon 8. I subsequently sold it on the boards months later, to Colin I think, who informed me that the centerfold was missing. I emailed Ted about it and he graciously undid the deal hassle free. That definitely made an impression, as there are a lot of dealers out there who would not have done the same.

Everyone should obviously reach their own judgments about someone and first impressions absolutely have a tremendous impact, but to be fair I would hope people don't reach a final judgment just because of a single negative experience.

I've dealt with most of the major dealers referenced above and I have had great experiences with most of them, especially Terry and Al, who I always enjoying dealing with and count as friends. There are unique personalities involved and sometimes if you are not familiar with what that might be, you might interpret things differently than how they were intended to come across. Or it was simply a bad day for them and your timing was just not the best. Who knows? (shrug)

There are dealers/sellers to absolutely stay away from because they have a history of fraud or misconduct (and I've brought to light evidence about some), or at the very least to always take into consideration as to their grading/pricing "faults", but the latter and former examples are very, very different. :gossip:

Neat stuff may pay $30,000 for an ad but they sure don't know how to grade comics!!!!!!!!!!

Terry O'neil may be an Overstreet advisor but he sold me two books through his catalog that were restored and he didnt indicate it and when I have seen him at shows, he has an attitude too. Is it really that hard to be a nice guy and sell comics?

Neat Stuff I would agree to stay away from. My issue wasn't undergrading, but recently I purchased a pulp. It was packed with no protection, not even a plastic bag, in a bubble wrap with the "do not bend" written on it.

Terry has gone beyond what I think most dealers would do to ensure customer relations stay positive. When my father accidentally purchased a second copy of the same Bulletman, Terry offered to buy it back at full price. If any unidentified flaws are later found, he has offered to take the return and give a full refund. I think the "attitude" you might be seeing could be in part because he is so busy. He seems to be constantly working the room to find books, trade with dealers or sell to customers.

First impressions are what counts and if you're a butt to someone because you're trying to buy books to sell or you're having a bad day well that's just too bad and money out of their pocket. If they can't handle buying and selling at the same time then obviously they should be doing something else.

I've traveled and set up at cons since I was 18, it is very tiring but that's what you're there for. Some guys are just not cut out to be convention dealers even though they continue to do so.

Bottom line is I've seen a lot of big money people show up and a few years later they're gone. Do you want a cusomer that's going to drop 10k in one pop and that's it or someone that's going to give you 5k a year until you die?

Pretty surprised by this. I traded a couple of books to Ted at WW Chicago a few years back for a Red Dragon 8. I subsequently sold it on the boards months later, to Colin I think, who informed me that the centerfold was missing. I emailed Ted about it and he graciously undid the deal hassle free. That definitely made an impression, as there are a lot of dealers out there who would not have done the same.

A number of years after purchasing an FF 20 from Ted I found out the staples were replaced. He made good on it = gave me store credit, no problem. Ted is a good guy and I believe he is honest but he can't grade .