• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will comic collecting end with our generation?

198 posts in this topic

How exactly did snotty kid get the cash for those?

I suspect he took Dads books into his room.

I don't know but British People sure have cool books.

:insane:

If the young generation starts to think of them as thier grandfathers heroes then there could be a problem.

I have noticed that superhero toys are on a serious downswing, and nothing Marvel or DC seems to be selling. All the Marvel toys of the past year or so were straight to the bargain bin, and even DC was hurting - those DC mini-figures were in the WM 99-cent bin before you knew it, and it seems to have scared some manufacturers off. Nothing new seems to be coming out at all.

Although Iron Man was a big hit, they didn't cross over into other areas (let's not even get into The Hulk toy lines :sick: ) , and it seems that if there isn't a HUGE Spidey or X-Men movie, the licenses are dead before they hit the shelves.

Add in Disney cutting off Activision from the ultra-popular Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, orphaning both of them and removing support/DLC as of last year, this looks really bad. Disney owning Marvel certainly ain't gonna help.

Acc. to the poll in the Poll forum, the Median comic collecting age is 20-40 with a large bump in the 30 year range. I don't know about you all but I think that this age range is when you get into your financial prime, more or less. You've come close to paying of school, you're buying a house and well into a decade of mortgage payments already, you've got a budding career, etc etc.

Disposable income + nostalgia = hobbies.

And you've just proven why video games are primed to be the next big thing in collectibles.

Or do you actually believe a 12-year today will have any nostalgia for funny books when they hit 30? If so, then you don't know ANY 12-year olds. They're video game playing, iPod-listening, cel phone-addicted, Facebook-planting goofballs.

Acc. to the poll in the Poll forum, the Median comic collecting age is 20-40 with a large bump in the 30 year range. I don't know about you all but I think that this age range is when you get into your financial prime, more or less. You've come close to paying of school, you're buying a house and well into a decade of mortgage payments already, you've got a budding career, etc etc.

Disposable income + nostalgia = hobbies.

And you've just proven why video games are primed to be the next big thing in collectibles.

Or do you actually believe a 12-year today will have any nostalgia for funny books when they hit 30? If so, then you don't know ANY 12-year olds. They're video game playing, MP3-listening, Facebook-planting goofballs.

Could very well be...except I wasn't that into video games so it didn't cross my mind.

Like many have said on here, if you want to know the next great collectible fad, examine what mass-market items 10-14 year old males are actively utilizing and spending a lot of their time with.

Then buy it all up and wait 15-20 years to sell it back to them.

To answer a vague question with one word ... no.

Obviously, but what we're really talking about is the "Slow and Inevitable Death of Comic Book Collecting".

That is happening, and will continue to happen as the years go by. Every current collector that retires, divests his collection or dies is NOT being replaced by a young adult buying his first (of many over the next 4-5 decades) high-priced CGC comic. Right now, we're being artificially buoyed by a "perfect storm" of big budget movies, CGC and EBay bringing back the "old guard" who ran away screaming after the mid-90's crash.

Just like any other adult-controlled hobby, the attrition rate of older collectors leaving will far outstrip any new blood coming in, and this base demographic fact will lead to fewer and fewer serious collectors.

Like many have said on here, if you want to know the next great collectible fad, examine what mass-market items 10-14 year old males are actively utilizing and spending a lot of their time with.

Then buy it all up and wait 15-20 years to sell it back to them.

Sure, if the only connection you want to the hobby is to make a profit.

Not me, but I get that feeling from about 90% of the current forum membership. lol

And it's not necessarily profit-motivated, but a lot of people here have been drawn back to comics because of the current "heat" and promotion of the hobby, like moths to the flame.

If comics was relegated to a niche hobby, I doubt many of them would stick around. They'd probably be offering me big bucks for my sealed video games. doh!

Along the same lines of thought...I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about collecting cars, now granted we graduated H.S. in the early 90s, but neither one of us could see our generation, tail end of gen-x, collecting cars from our high school years anytime soon. Like what the hell would we want from then? A Mitsubishi Eclipse? Ford Taurus? Honda Civic? A Chevy Blazer? I don't recall us ever really getting excited about vehicles or talking about them the same way I notice my parents' generation doing. Just isn't the same for us. I have a feeling gen-y/earlier probably feel this way about comics and hybrids.

...now BMX bikes and NES on the other hand for gen-x'rs :)

Not me, but I get that feeling from about 90% of the current forum membership. lol

And it's not necessarily profit-motivated, but a lot of people here have been drawn back to comics because of the current "heat" and promotion of the hobby, like moths to the flame.

If comics was relegated to a niche hobby, I doubt many of them would stick around. They'd probably be offering me big bucks for my sealed video games. doh!

comics ARE a niche hobby. always have been.

Im not saying that monthly pamphlet comics will survive either, but ligthen up. you stopped collecting 20 years ago, hating moderns and all.

Long after armageddon, after humans have disappeared from the face of the earth, cockroaches will still be eating reading comic books.